Super Bit Char-G….Gimmick or God Send??

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Hey, just wondering what u guys think of the new SBCG as opposed to the old Bits.

I have mixed feeling about this baby, so here goes:

Pros:

-Beautiful packaging and a collector card add to the eye candy.

-Low COG makes handling great. Even easier to race.

-Revised circuit feeds more power to the motor.

-Similar sized wheels make it look better.

-New TX has telescopic antenna.

-Changeable front knuckles…innovative, but useless until we get front wheels sets.

Cons:

-Due to low clearance, racing on a flat smoothe surface is a must.

-Comes with a 1.6……slow as.

-Tyres are odd sizes so option tyres arent compatible, untill the SBCG tyres arrive.

-TX controls ‘stick’ (strange!)

Thats about all i could find on this, feel free to add your 2c worth.

DaveF
      Participant

My SBCGs have arrived at the post office today, I just have to collect them, so the following is being said without having used a SBCG yet…

I can see the ‘stick’ (which is that the car continues with the last instruction given my the controller, until it hears from the controller again. Might be a pain where reception is poor, or when you go out of range.) being a problem.

As for the motor, many BCGs come with a 1.0, so a 1.6 is an upgrade.

Parts, like knuckles and tyres etc. should have been released at the same time, true, but they can’t be too far away, surely.

Ppersonally I think it’s not worth it to try and run these cars on anything other than a flat surface (though your rally idea on flour or sugar sounds like a lot of fun). The grit, fluff, and junk that gets picked up means cleanout out the car takes the fun out of a run…. for me anyway.

My $0.02 worth.

micro_Amps
      Participant

OK, more cons….
      – dual cell barely fits, very tight lots of chopping needed.
      – not able to be fet modded due to reverse ultra low voltage switching, major :sad:.
      – runs on when out of range, what crap idea this is, :sad::sad:.

I think I’ll be using the chassis and body shells, but putting fet modded booster pcbs in them to get the best of both worlds.
      :)uA

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

micro, Thats majorly crappy, i was thinking a fet modded SBCG would be sweet.

The PCB is a weird shape too, sort of hexagonal.

Personally i dont like dual cell cars, too heavy.

One thing I noticed about the SBCG is, that when i chuck my lucifer rotor (favourite little motor) in a normal bit, it is sluggish and has zilch torque.
      I put the 3.0 in the SBCG and its insanely torquey and fast….weird, im guessing a better FET or something is being used….

The cell, a sanyo NiCad N50AAA…..aaaarrrrrgh TOMY stop being so fucken stingy and give us a 150mAh NiMH cell!!!!!

The reverse logic system is (my guess) so you cant drive the old bits with the New TX. There is the 2 buttons on the new TX, i guess one is booster/function and the other is…..hmmmm maybe tomy will release something new that uses the other button??
      I had a peek inside the chassis and TX, the PCB in the TX is soldered directly to the battery teminals (annoying!!!)

micro_Amps
      Participant

Yes thats true Jamie, the solder holds it all together. Tomy have ditched the old (better) Rxc/Txc series of chips for a PT (Pericom Tecnologies) chipset. BamBow, big mistake. It may be cheaper for them to produce these, but the hardcore fans are going to stay away from them because they just dont function as good as they should.
      I can only guess that the extra buttons on the top of the Tx will be boost and another function once they release cars that have these functions. But if they are using the same type of controls then forget it.

DaveF
      Participant

I wonder if we can mod and fit something to do the booster function to the buttons on these TXs? It’s only got to pulse the signal to tell the motor to spin after all.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Dave, those buttons in the Sbcg Tx are already in circuit, they are connected “Function 1” and “Function 2” , there is even an unused “Function 3” in there as well. But the info is just not available on the Tx at this stage. Also the car pcbs are not the fully optiones version that require these extra signals.
      Once these are sold in the US, the Tx circuit diags will be available from the FCC, but until then it remains a mystery.

DaveF
      Participant

So does anyone kow what Function1 and Function2 are?

micro_Amps
      Participant

I am assuming one wil be boost and the other could be a function like the wild char-gs hook/scoop idea.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Thats what i was thinking. I am truly disappointed in those stupid buggers changing chipsets.

DaveF
      Participant

The two buttons on the controller seem to do bugger all on the Ferrari and Lambo sets. I can’t see any difference when I press them.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

maybe its booster and extra functions or something.

Impreza
      Participant

As far as I can tell the buttons are non-functional in the super bits that are released to date. I think that they just made a universal controller that can handle the 3 channels per freq and the buttons will only work on future superbits. This allows Tomy to make 2 controllers (27 and 40 Mhz) for all future superbits. Cuts down on production and retooling costs IMO. Maybe not the best deal for the consumer but at least you won’t have to worry about matching the right controller with the right car as much:) I am just supprised that they didn’t put out one multi purpose controller like a beefed up and improved 4 band contoller??

Edited by – Impreza on 16 October 2003 13:05:23

micro_Amps
      Participant

they wont do anything until the cars that have those functions are released. The current cars dont have the functions for those buttons.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Beat me by 20 seconds Impreza, yep, I reckon you are spot on.

Impreza
      Participant

he he. Jamie, sorry I didn’t give my two cents worth. Visually, I really like the Superchar-g. I like that they are expanding the car selections into a more international market ie Europe, for now. I also like the wheel proportions as well, although I have a tonne of tyres that I can’t use now from the origional tyre sets. As for the negative, I guess that will come as I tinker more with them. Don’t really like the run-on out of range though:(

DaveF
      Participant

I think it was a shame to leave out a function thatthey already have in some of their cars (the booster function), as all it needs is a pulsed signal. Very easy to do, surely. Can’t understand why they left it out. It’s the best feature of any of their cars really.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Yeah I agree, but it will be interesting to see just what functions these new buttons control once the cars come out.

crazydave
      Participant

I would love the SBG, but that damn glitch where it just keeps going, grinds on my nerves to the point that I rarely use mine.

It would be nice to know FEts are an option, but I’m not too worried about it, because the SBGs acceleration is adequate for me, and ideal for my little track. I actually been half FETing a few cars to have a few cars on even ground with the SBG, and I think I make fatsre more consistant laps with those cars than a fully FETed car.

That’s not to say I don’t love my stacked FET dual cell Zip Zaps. I like to set my cars up for several different situation, and for racing on a tight technical track the SBG is perfect, except for that stupid, silly, annoying glitch.:angry:

micro_Amps
      Participant

I agree with you 100% crazydave, if it wasnt for the ‘run on’ mine might get a bit more use.
      I like the shells though.

crazydave
      Participant
      Quote:
      I agree with you 100% crazydave, if it wasnt for the ‘run on’ mine might get a bit more use.
      I like the shells though.

I forgot to mention, I love the new shells. Cars like the Countach and 911 are some of my all time favorite cars, and the detail on the new bodies is top notch

ph2t
      Participant

You guys saw how quickly I got rid of my 27mhz sbcg 911. That’s how unhappy I was with the product.:angry:

I beleive the 40mhz doesn’t suffer the carppy range and command stutter that is widely known. not sure on this though.

The shells are bloody brilliant, just ordered some of the sbcg pullbacks from toyeast for the bodies alone!

ph2t.

VooDooMafia
      Participant

Yes the bodies are nice, not sure on the cars themselves as mine has yet to arrive. But we will see 🙂 I do know that one car was was very impressed by was the LXX beetle with built in lights. For an LXX this car is nice (dave try her out B4 you do anything to it 🙂 ).

titaniumonkey
      Participant

in my opinion, the SBCGs are more of a racing bit. My theory is taht tomy came out with a car that was just meant to be driven around in an open space and now that they are sure epopel want to race with their bits, they made a bit that withh handle better and (I think)will be able to put full power into teh motors. the range thing is just a glich and I think it will be repaired in the near future. however, who really needs all that range to get around on a track?

I guess that the bottom line is that SBCGs are for actual “competieive” racing and BCGs were just an “experimental popularity test”

Impreza
      Participant

nice point titaniumonkey:) I have two 40 mhz sbcg’s ph2t and the range doesn’t seem to be a problem. What is the command stutter?? sry:blush:

NSR34
      Participant

woh thats a relief, but not really. I thought my sbc was a factory fcukup or something with it goin all crappy when it goes outta range,i love those new bodies too. Cant wait till the enzo maricello or whatever it is and the maclaren gtr are released. is it possible to fix that crappy range thing ?

NSR34
      Participant

i ment enzo and maracello or whatever it is

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.