Sway Bars. What Difference do they make?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

I don’t have a sway bar kit and my suspension was pretty tight. I doubt there areany bumps it can go over that wouldmake the sway bar go up all the way. I shaved a bunch of plastic off the bar to make it very soft and it does much better on jump landings.

Does any one have the stabilizer bar kit? Does it come with a really soft one or do they all react similarly? I would like to buy the set but don’t want it unless they make the bars dramatically soft.

Also, does any one know where I can get this set. It seems all stores are sold out.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

I have the Trueno Tune kit and it comes with 3 purple stabilizer bars, all softer than stock. On my kitchen floor (textured linoleum), the effect is thatsofter bars result in more understeer. Don’t know what the result is on other types of surfaces, but I would expect the same result.

IIRC, the separate stabilizer bar set is made of red plastic, and I don’t know if there is a difference between the red or purple stabilizers.

Anyone got both?

Admin
      Participant

The “Setting Parts Set” comes with three suspension bars label1, 2, & 3. They are all red. #1 appears to be exactly the same as the stock one, but red. #2 has two small holes on either side of the securing pin, and #3 has one big hole on either side of the securing pin and a half hole near the arm. I believe the numbers are from firmest to sofest, but I’m still testing. So far #2 seems to have the best control on a bumpy surface.

Admin
      Participant

If you remove your stock sway bar and look at it from the front or back, it should look like this…

/
      /
      /|
      / |
      |||>
      |
      |

Take a hobby knife and shafe the little ridge away on each sideso that it looks like this:

/
      /
      /
      /
      |||>

That will make it just a little softer. I noticed that my turning radius at high speed with a 3.0 motor is just a little better now. The car still flips if I try to use the sticky tires on the front though.

Admin
      Participant

I’ve found that the stock white springs aren’t all the same- the one in my 27MHz chassis that came with my initial D set is a lot stiffer than the one from my loctite Skyline. Anyone else noticed something like this?

Admin
      Participant

I shaved mine down which helped on the jump landings but the steering is too sensitive now. With hard tires on front it used to slide the steering when full speed but they seem to grab now with softer stab bar.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

Yep, that’s what it should do. Don’t make it too soft because then it won’t turn at all!

dave san
      Participant

I use chunks of a ‘zip tie’ cut out in various ways in place of the stock stab bar. I hold them in place with a very small drop of ca. It works well….if your handy with an blade you can get just what you want. I have a huge stash of zip ties and some colors are stiffer than others…its worked quite well. And I have only cut thecrap out of my self a few times while making them 😉

Admin
      Participant

bitasstacc_small.jpg

Does anyone know anything about these white stabilizers? Arethey the same as the red or purple (but diff in color), or possibly different tensions as well?

I replaced my sway bar completely with pen springs on the vertical shaft-like part of the front axle knuckle. The result is terrible. Looks great, but is completely stiff. There isnt enough weight on the car to make it budge. I am planning to replace the pen springs with train coupler micro springs for N-scale model trains on advice from one of the threads in this forum. Has anyone already tried this? Do they work? Are they soft enough to to actually compress on thier own?

deejay40

Admin
      Participant

hey deejay, how did you manage to put the pen springs on the shaft of the front axle knuckle? I tried doing that too but the magnet kept attracting them so that I couldnt put the cover of the steering box back on, and after 20 mins of frustration I just gave up

Admin
      Participant

You can’t hold the car in your hand and install those springs. You need to have the chassis of the car setting on something solid and then you need something “slightly” supporting the front tires from the bottom. You can’t put too much pressure on them though.

It is a very tedious process.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.