Tamiya TA03R-TRF

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion Tamiya TA03R-TRF

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      kevsta
      Participant

Hi,

Anyone know if this is a good chassis to start of with for a beginner in 1:10 ? I know it s in kit form but don t mind getting my hands dirty building one up.

I ve also noticed that it is discontinued from Tamiya – would getting parts for it be very hard ?

Thanks,
      Kevin

merc-blue
      Participant

depends if u wanna racee would be abit old/outdated parts wont be easy but not hard i got a TA04 that has been fully hopped up.. check non-micro for sale thread. which will do well in lower 1:10 classes eg novice or 540 pro.

kevsta
      Participant

Thanks for the reply.

The one I was looking at was this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2565&item=5930858193&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I don’t really want the hassle of finding outdated hard to get parts when things break so I guess I’ll have to stick with the current chassis’s offered by Tamiya. Sort of like buying a Beta video recorder and not being able to buy any Beta video tapes to use with it.

Cheers.

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh depending on what u want. u say u want tamiya if u wanna just see if u like 1:10 get a TT01 or TL01 nice chassis parts are every were if u want to get more serious then a TA04 is good for club racing and then if u wanna go topend then u have the evolution4 and the TRF415.
      the only suggestion i can make is dont buy a cheap radio buy a decent radio with epa and stuff becasue if you buy total crap then u will really regret it same for motor and ESC. also batterys go to a local club and pick up some 2nd hand packs will be very cheap and will be great just for practicing. bassicialy if they look in good nick they are

icebreaka
      Participant

is this a decent radio?

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=421_36_47&products_id=742

or is it cheap(bad cheap)?

merc-blue
      Participant

good radio system for a beginner. next step up is sumthing like a JR XR2 system a simple 2 channel digital system

icebreaka
      Participant
      kevsta
      Participant

For the ESC I’ll probably go for this one: http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=421_36_51&products_id=2428

…because it looks like value for money.

But for the servo, I’m a little confused, there are high speed, high torque ones… also ones with a round disk on the top, and ones that have a cross on the top… what would be a good one to get ?

Icebreak, I’ve checked that one out, the starting price has dropped from $150 down to $120 from yesterday.

merc-blue
      Participant

oh for servos u if u buy a radio kit u will useually get a servo if its a futaba radio they will be s3003 which ar good for a start. if u want sumthing better u want high speed as in cars u dont ned THAT much toqure to turn the wheels the high toqrue ones are for things like throttle on nitros and steering on monster trucks. the crosses and discs dont mean crap u will find u just buy a servo saver that goes on and a ball join or scres straight in. the servo horns u dont really need.. as for radio gear u can pick up a radio pack from futaba that has a 2phka radio system a with 1 s3003 servo and it contains MC330CR ESC its a great deal if u can track one down

merc-blue
      Participant

also fo all u guys looking to get into 1:10 besides my TA04 i have 3 sanyo2400 nicad matched packs which are about 6 months old been well maintained also i have a mtronics nicad/nimh delta peak charger (runs from a 12VDC input)

merc-blue
      Participant

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXASX4**&P=0 this is the sort of system i was talking about there a great deal. if u want a really great deal there is a similar pack with a 2Pl (which is a good computer/digital radio) for 99usd

PandaBear
      Participant

Note 2PH =/= 2PHKA, the “MS” 2PH misses the end point adjustments and the chrome steering wheel.

2PL for US99… might as well get it locally for A$175 – it’ll be on 29MHz which is better for Oz than 27 (too few freq choices) or 75 (illegal).

2PHKA “MJ” with 2 servos usually goes for about $140 at Oz shop – good value.

merc-blue
      Participant

the 99 dollar 2pl comes with a mc230r ESC aswell

kevsta
      Participant

Thanks for the info, should have one in my hands by the end of November.

🙂

MiniKing
      Participant

Good stuff Kev we need more guys to get into 1/10 dude…..

merc-blue
      Participant

yeah get into 1:10.. theres rumors about the really sweet TA04 for sale around its been fully hopped up and its really cheap is going for about as much as the diffs in it cost

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.