Technical Motor Question: Burnout?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Hi, I’ve heard that you shouldn’t try to run a motor and not let it spin, because it will burn it out. How exactly does this work and how much of this treatment will it take before performance is affected?

I’ve looked at motor schematics online, and I can’t see what exactly fails when you do this. The reason I’m asking is that sometimes this happens with my 1.0 motor. Me and my friend like to see who can get the other’s car off of a 13″ by 16″ plywood board first, and this sometimes involves pushing contests that end up in a stalemate. No, we never go fast enough to remotely damage the paint jobs in case anyone is wondering.

Also, I like to run my car on the coffee table during commercial breaks while watching TV. This gets boring if I just do loops around it, so I set up a little track that has a small hill. This is made by taking 2 sheets of 8.5″ by 11″ paper and laying them over the remote control. My 1.0 motor can climb this easily on a full charge. Once the initial peppiness of the charge goes away it needs a “running start.” Sometimes it will climb almost to the top, then stall out and stay as long as I hold the forward button. Lately, even if I hold the forward button the car will stutter back a few times then stay. Is this the motor burning out or maybe the motor shaft slipping inside of the black gear? In any case, I’m wondering if the climbing is bad for the motor too because it is difficult for the car to do if it isn’t on a full charge. I’m getting at leastone othermotor, so I don’t care if this one is damaged.

Admin
      Participant

Stopping the motor from turning results in a short curcuit in one of the armature coils. If sufficient heat builds up, it will burn out the coil. The car will still run on two coils, but will produce 2/3rds the power (two of three coils are working). It will also stutter.

As for the second part of the question, if the car doesn’t have enough power to get up the hill at the end of a charge, it probably won’t burn out the motor, but certainly will not help it either. If the pinoin were slipping, you would be able to hear the motor turning.

Admin
      Participant

Wow, thanks for the prompt response :smiley4:. Very good reply.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.