Test Pilots Wanted: Rohm SP8M4 MOSFETs

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I’m after two or three people who will get a FREE set of the ROHM SP8M4 MOSFETs in return for their honest reviews of the performance and durability.

While I trust the testing I have done in the past month I figure it’d be good to get some out there and under way.

PM Me to get on the list. I’ll be responding to people within the Week. No strings except you MUST post and honest review of your impressions on this site (and any others you choose to share) and I’d like to use some quotes for our sales material.

Thanks!

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Traveler
      Participant

While waiting for new Spider and Bug, I ordered 30 of Aaron’s new SP8M4 FETs. Started with a 2×2 stack in a Gen1 Xmod. Max speed only increased a couple of KPH on the dyno, but on the track the car had much better acceleration throughout the powerband. Its pushing a PN Speedy 05BB which now feels like a Saber or Xeric. So I’m pretty happy!

What to do next? I have several Gen1s as well as some Mini-Z MR02s and an AWD. Not sure which cars will benefit the most with these FETs. Also not sure what the ideal stack size is for these cars. I know the more the better, but I won’t be running insane motors, just some Atomic Z2s, T2s, PN Animas, Xerics, Sabers, etc. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Admin
      Participant

Hello all,

I started using FETs SM8M4 in my shop and on my own MiniZ this past three months. On my MA010 a put a stack of 3X2 setup to find it performed better then the board I replaced that had 4562 which were 4X2 setup. I had much better throttle response them before and more speed and less heat at the FETs. I put them to a test on the complete line of PN Racing motors from FS stock to the Xeric and the Anima II and the pass with flying speed. I went to my box and brought out a Minizworkshop 21T motor and put it thought its paces and still no problem. I tested the complete Atomic line of motor the old the and the Stock R , and Chile and the did great. From test done before in the past years I can say their was a 2 to 4 percent increase in speed with the new FETs. This motor I would not try it unless I had 4X2 of 4562 This now much better they are. I wish I did not have as many 4562 left in stock in shop. I will never buy 4562 again and a few months ago it was the only FETs I would stock for Mini Zs. For a long time and you can ask Aaron I was bought a lot of Spiders from him. Because how good they were I stop stacking FETs on my customer cars I built for them. Well I am stacking FETs again a least on Mini Z and only a 2X2 stack on Gen1s because the SP8M4 are that good.

And this was not a sponsor endorsement this was my way to help Aaron letting people Know how good there are.

Regards,
      Eric
      Maine-iac-Motors R/C

Keymaster

*nods* The SP8M4 FETs are extremely good and really close up the gap between larget FET stacks (which traditionally reduce throttle sensitivity and great some nasty drive qualities) and the External H-Bridge setups like the Spider.

It’s a great way to bring a “stock” car to life with a simple (and cheap) 2×2 stack.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Traveler
      Participant

OK. So now I have 4 2.4 Ghz Mini-Zs and want to use some of my remaining SP8M4 FETs on these boards. Any suggestions???

On the AM Mini-Z boards, I removed the 2×1 3010s and replaced with 2×2 SP8M4s. But the new boards have 4 3010s. Pair on top and pair on bottom. I was thinking of replacing all 4 with SP8M4s in same configuration. But a Mini-Z expert here in the US suggests adding a pair of SP8M4s on top of the exisiting 3010s. That would be a 3×2 stack, 2×2 3010 and 2×1 SP8M4. Aside from easier installation, what are the benefits/downsides of this approach to total replacement???

Thanks!

Admin
      Participant

Hey again Traveler,
      Just “stacking” a new layer of the SP8M4 Fets on top of one of the sides of 3010 Fets on the 2.4 boards is a viable upgrade. You will get some of the performance of the SP8M4 Fets, but not all. The current will split among the 3010’s and the SP8M4 Fets, with more current being sent thru the SP8M4’s than thru the 3010’s. This method is easier than the full-replacement method, and will allow you to use some hotter motors. But the 3010’s still limit the performance somewhat, and there is more of a chance of blowing an FET than if you replace all four 3010 Fets with SP8M4. It just depends on what you want. You could always try the “extra layer” approach and see how you like it.
      If you want to run some super-hot hand-winds (Hotter than say a Chili) then replacing all 3010’s with SP8M4’s is better IMO. Also, if you want a 2×3 SP8M4 FET setup, then simply do a 2×2 stack on one side of the PCB and a 1×2 layer on the other. Hope this helps.

CowboySiR03
      Participant

I remember reading an article from Christian Tabush about the merits of the sp8m’s on a 2.4GHz board for a “world cup” prepped AWD he was making. If you get a chance (since I don’t recall his exact words) check his reflexracing.net site and read pt 1 of his AWD story…there you’ll find that he replaced just the top fet setup with the sp8m’s so he essentially created a 3010/sp8m mix for his board that can run quality motors that are excellent for world cup level racing events.

As for me, i have an AD band board that has a mix such as described above that is too fast for most tracks with a 37ish turn neo mag motor…it has to be turned to about 60% throttle before it is even useable on any track i build (and I have six wide oval RCP’s to connect together:smiley14: )

My mistake…8858’s were the fet I read about…

Traveler
      Participant

@LL3 228628 wrote:

Hey again Traveler,
      Just “stacking” a new layer of the SP8M4 Fets on top of one of the sides of 3010 Fets on the 2.4 boards is a viable upgrade. You will get some of the performance of the SP8M4 Fets, but not all. The current will split among the 3010’s and the SP8M4 Fets, with more current being sent thru the SP8M4’s than thru the 3010’s. This method is easier than the full-replacement method, and will allow you to use some hotter motors. But the 3010’s still limit the performance somewhat, and there is more of a chance of blowing an FET than if you replace all four 3010 Fets with SP8M4. It just depends on what you want. You could always try the “extra layer” approach and see how you like it.
      If you want to run some super-hot hand-winds (Hotter than say a Chili) then replacing all 3010’s with SP8M4’s is better IMO. Also, if you want a 2×3 SP8M4 FET setup, then simply do a 2×2 stack on one side of the PCB and a 1×2 layer on the other. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info! Even though a hybrid may work, I just don’t like the idea. I may add a layer of 3010s left over from other board upgrades first and see how I like that. Then I can do an all SP8M4 board 2×2 or 3×2.

So far I am very impressed with the performance of the two pairs of 3010s on the stock 2.4 Ghz boards, but haven’t used any “hot” motors yet.

Traveler
      Participant

@CowboySiR03 228959 wrote:

I remember reading an article from Christian Tabush about the merits of the sp8m’s on a 2.4GHz board for a “world cup” prepped AWD he was making. If you get a chance (since I don’t recall his exact words) check his reflexracing.net site and read pt 1 of his AWD story…there you’ll find that he replaced just the top fet setup with the sp8m’s so he essentially created a 3010/sp8m mix for his board that can run quality motors that are excellent for world cup level racing events.

As for me, i have an AD band board that has a mix such as described above that is too fast for most tracks with a 37ish turn neo mag motor…it has to be turned to about 60% throttle before it is even useable on any track i build (and I have six wide oval RCP’s to connect together:smiley14: )

My mistake…8858’s were the fet I read about…

That is where I got the idea and even spoke to Christian about it. He seems to think it is a viable option, and he should know. I appreciate it being an easier installation, but sense a total replacement with 2×2 SP8M4s would be better than adding a layer of SP8M4s

As LL3 suggested, I could try the easier route first and do a total replacement if not satisfied. Will update with results once I have a chance to do this.

Thanks Cowboy

Admin
      Participant

Wow, cowboysir – 6 Wide-Ovals, that’s pretty sweet. :smiley16: I run on my home track that is a little larger than 2 Wide-L’s. I have a couple Wide-Oval kits too that I have used some tiles from, but right now I don’t have the room to build a track using everything I got.
      About the “extra layer” method, I read a new thread recently on MZR’s forum that was written by an FET-expert that gives good advice, his handle is LBRC. He said the extra layer of 8858 Fets (Very similar to the SP8M4) works great for him. I have heard from my FET guy and from others including LBRC that the Fet pads on the new 2.4 ASF PCB’s are easier to lift. So leaving the 3010’s where they are might be a good, safe way to go.
      For me, I still like swapping all four 3010’s out for new Fets. Can’t have enough power…:D

CowboySiR03
      Participant

six wide ovals is enough track to fill three parking spaces in an underground car park from end to end and side to side without any real gaps. Next time we set up i’ll bring my camera.:D

I’m seriously considering this fet change for my 2.4Ghz car…right after i make heads or tails of the ICS system i bought for my computer to rid myself of the delay i figure more power is on tap.:smiley14:

bigmike17
      Participant

These fets seem fantastic. I had submitted an order for 2 sets of these fets about 20 days ago, and my order has not been processed as of yet. I have inquired with e-mails at least three times as to the status of my order, but have not received any replies at all. Has ausmicro.com gone out of buisness or something? That would be too bad.:smiley6:

BM17

z-beam
      Participant

im sure all is well bigmike, give Aaron a chance to get back to you 🙂

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

they are good FETs too, have used a few in my Plasmatomic powered Iwaver.

Admin
      Participant

I have the same problem, ordered the FET pack two weeks ago, no
      change in order status, sent two inquiries via the contact form and
      one via the email address the paypal payment goes to, no feedback
      at all.

Does anyboday know if the shop is still in business?

Kind regards,

ps2aich

@bigmike17 229710 wrote:

These fets seem fantastic. I had submitted an order for 2 sets of these fets about 20 days ago, and my order has not been processed as of yet. I have inquired with e-mails at least three times as to the status of my order, but have not received any replies at all. Has ausmicro.com gone out of buisness or something? That would be too bad.:smiley6:

BM17

PandaBear
      Participant

Aaron’s alive & well… just snowed under at his dayjob & real life i’m hearing.

Admin
      Participant

So, that is good to hear.

But nevertheless I can appreciate this, a short feedback about
      the order inquiries should be possible, mainly as some/most? customers have
      already payed via paypal, so they have some concerns about
      the order.

And of course, to come back to topic,
      we all want to upgrade our mini-z with this FETs as soon as possible :smiley16:

Kind regards,

ps2aich

bigmike17
      Participant

I agree. Any comment from Aaron would be greatly Appreciated. I was hoping to follow up with more orders but am unsure anymore. Next Monday will be 30 days from date of order.

On the lighter side, I feel that ausmicro has the best selection of electronic mods on the internet.

BM17

@ps2aich 229741 wrote:

So, that is good to hear.

But nevertheless I can appreciate this, a short feedback about
      the order inquiries should be possible, mainly as some/most? customers have
      already payed via paypal, so they have some concerns about
      the order.

And of course, to come back to topic,
      we all want to upgrade our mini-z with this FETs as soon as possible :smiley16:

Kind regards,

ps2aich

Admin
      Participant

Has anybody heared from Aaron about the availability of the FETs yet?

bigmike17
      Participant

Well, it’s been over 30 days now since I submitted and paid for my order. I have had no replies to various e-mails as to status of order. I have ordered parts and hop-ups from both China and Japan (half a world away from me) and take less than 10 days to receive. Is it a matter of the fets and the black widow being out of stock? If thats the case, then please let us know. Is Aaron still around? I’m thinking I’ll just try and get my money back through PayPal.

Thank you and best regards,

BM17

PandaBear
      Participant

Have just shot him an email to his work addy asking him to read this thread.

bigmike17
      Participant

Well, it’s been 38 days since submitting my order for fets and a black widow and still no reply or comments from Aaron. I am wondering how many more people have submitted orders that havent been processed? I am also wondering if there has been anyone that has had an order processed within the last 30 days or so? Thank you Panda for trying to contact Aaron for us. Did you ever get a reply?

regards,

BM17

Admin
      Participant

i received a reply yesterday or the day before. The Ausmicro Shop has had problems sending the orders through to Aaron. Its been processing the orders and payment sent, and thats where its been stopping. He said its being looked into and will be rectified asap.

Aaron is currently out of town and will return Sunday night, so monday you should start to hear from him.

bigmike17
      Participant

I haven’t heard anything yet. I’ll give it untill the middle of the week. I’ve found an alternative source for fets here in the US also.

@ephect 229875 wrote:

i received a reply yesterday or the day before. The Ausmicro Shop has had problems sending the orders through to Aaron. Its been processing the orders and payment sent, and thats where its been stopping. He said its being looked into and will be rectified asap.

Aaron is currently out of town and will return Sunday night, so monday you should start to hear from him.

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

hope it’s sorted for you guys soon, I’ve had no problems with ausmicro in the past (being local helps I s’pose).

Admin
      Participant

I also haven’t heard anything yet, so if it will not be clarified the next few days, paypal will do this for me ……

bigmike17
      Participant

Well, tomorrow will be 45 days since submitting an order and no relpy or communication. Simply unbelievable. if I was to do Business like that I would be out of a job. I am very disappointed. Up until now I had heard nothing but good things about this shop. Once again, has anyone at all at this site ordered and received anything within the last 2 weeks or so? If anyone has contact with Aaron or whoever runs the shop please pass our concerns to him.

Regards,

Bigmike

PandaBear
      Participant

i hear ye mike, sorry i can’t help on anything re the store – i haven’t had any reply to earlier email either

unfortunately i’m in melbourne and aaron is in canberra 2 states 700km north 🙁

bigmike17
      Participant

Well, I have still not heard anything from Aaron or who ever runs Ausmicro shop (one and the same?). All I want to know is if I am going to get the items I ordered or if I can get my money back. Based on the fact that I have yet to receive a reply it seems that the shop has been Abandoned.

PandaBear
      Participant

hi Mike

yeah Aaron built/owns/runs Ausmicro & the store… everyone else just helps
      out online here on this forum site, we’ve got nothing to do with the store

perhaps you may wish to put a claim to refund in via paypal?

bigmike17
      Participant

PayPal is telling me that my case does not “Qualify” for action because I waited over 45 days for action. So I guess I’m hosed.

I apoligize for having brought this subject up in this thread, but since I was not getting a reply from the shop or Aaron I thought that maybe this would give my problem some Visibility. In doing so, I found out that I was not alone.

Thank you Panda for your efforts in contacting Aaron.

Live and learn I guess.

Regards,

Mike

PandaBear
      Participant

no no, not at all 🙂

i doubt Aaron/store is out to scam your $$ or anything but yeah he’s often having issues up north; he’ll get you sorted… “eventually” 🙁

Paypal is a heap pile of steaming ‘ahem’ hey? for all the $$ they DO scam off each transaction

Admin
      Participant

in the past the shop has been fantasic and responsive, this past few months has been very worring, im in Melb also, and have had a few responses but nothing for the last 2 weeks..

I know my stuff will turn up, its just when….

bigmike17
      Participant

Good luck mate.

Renton
      Participant

no matter how helpful or busy someone is, if you run a business, no matter how big or small, you need to deal with it.

Id be quite ticked off if i had paid for something and had no response.

Whilst i understand Aaron might be busy he still cant ignore the fact that this shop is still capable of processing orders, he needs to be aware of this as its just a farking joke to those who have parted with money for goods, especially around christmas time.

bigmike17
      Participant

Also, If anyone else has had the same problem as I have, dont wait too long before filing for action with PayPal like I did (waited 50 days). If you havent heard anything about your order within the first three weeks I would Initiate action on getting your money back.

Admin
      Participant

Yes, you have to indicate a conflict within 45 days.

Today, I received my notification from paypal that I will get my money back.
      It’s a pitty that the shop is not in business anymore, because even paypal did not get any answer regarding the issue.

Traveler
      Participant

WOW! Haven’t been on this forum for a while and I am surprised to hear about the problems of unfilled orders.

In past dealings with Aaron, he has been very responsive to questions and has shipped all items promptly. It usually takes 2 weeks from order to receipt of items in US. But I have only ordered from his eBay store and my last order was in March.

I can certainly understand your frustrations with unfilled orders and lack of response. But it makes me wonder if Aaron is OK.

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

@Traveler 229953 wrote:

But it makes me wonder if Aaron is OK.

yeah I had the same thought, considering all my orders through Ausmicro (I’m local) have been problem free.

Seems out of character, even tho I’ve never met the guy…

Still sucks losing money either way, if I had any FETs left I’d send ’em over (ok, I do have one left! )

Traveler
      Participant

For what its worth, I just noticed EGR is selling the SP8M4s as an Atomic product. They are a reliable source and ship mighty quick. Some orders take 7 days from order date to delivery date in US.

bigmike17
      Participant

Just to let everyone know that it now has been 4 months since I submitted an order to the store with no response.

I am bringing his thread back up to the top to give it some Visibility and to warn potential buyers to beware. I have seen where others have been ripped off already.

Really, if the store is inactive then the ordering process needs to be deactiviated to help potential buyers from losing their money.

Bigmike17

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

Good advice bigmike! I’ll have a go at contacting Aaron, all I have is his name though. If anyone has any contact details for him try and let him know!

Can you contact your bank or paypal for your money back bigm? THEY might be able to at least let him know his store is still taking orders he can’t (for whatever reason) fill…

Traveler
      Participant

Great News! Just heard from Aaron! He is back, but not in full capacity, and will be straightening out all past unfilled/unrefunded orders starting next week.

For those of you that placed an order you never recevied and were unable to get your money back through PayPal, you should expect to hear from Aaron in a week’s time or so.

In the mean time, he tells me the shop’s ordering option has been disabled.

WELCOME BACK AARON!:beer:

bigmike17
      Participant

Dude, thats good news. I am hoping I can get my money back.

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.