tha FET killa!

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author
      ph2t
      Participant

that s right! I ve wound my first motor, and what happended? bsst, ffft, pop crackle! I killed the 2×2 fet stack on my madforce 🙁 .

It all started a couple of days ago. I scored some 130 size motors from the bettster, they are from the Tamiya tank kit thingy, betty knows more….

Here s one of em:

I pulled the bugger apart and unwound the stock coils. 70 turns in total! I then wound my own, 25 turns of .2mm (I think) wire.

(the one on the right is the 25 turn)

I had bought a custom bb (ball bearing) end cap from http://www.minizworkshop.com along with some other parts… I know, I know it doesn t have carbon brushes but for the moment who cares….

(the one on the left is the new end cap, the right is stock)

And here she is, yum! 🙂

I connected this motor to a battery pack and the !@#$ screemed! The torque is bugger all but I hope to fix that with some neo magnets, anyone know where I can score good neo magnets from? I was thinking of that draconius dude at mzr.com

Basically after running it around I noticed that I need like 2km s of space to reach top speed, lol…. After running it for about 2 minutes the car farted and smoke came out it s rear. Game over for the fets…..I guess I expected this, I mean, hey what can you do about a motor that has a resistance of less than 0.06 Ohms….

So I ve started making a turbo….

Stuff stacking when one set of these babies is (theoretically) equal to about a 9×2 stack and rated at 110Amps (datasheet)!!! Yeah baby….

more to come…….

ph2t.

Edited by – ph2t on 19 March 2004 15:43:05

PandaBear
      Participant

Hope ya didn’t kill anything more than the FETs… blackeye:

ph2t
      Participant

I don’t *think* so…… Crap, now you’ve got me worried…….

micro_Amps
      Participant

You probably havent, hopefully when they blew they didnt short internally to the gates.
      There are a few other TO-220 fets around the 50-80amp range that should handle the current.
      Try some of the Mini4WD motors too, but at that resistance you will need to use a heatsink on the fets.
      :)uA

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Microamps, i have been looking around for some TO-220 FETs, not sure what to go for yet.

My 9×2 Stack is just not good enough, my 19t motor (0.5mm) overheats the FETs, infact, the FET stack seems to only pass about 10A!!

In theory, my 19t, Neo magnet, 10 degree armature, with ball bearings *should* produce the power of a Johnson 540.

ph2t
      Participant

the damage……..

fried.jpg

and it @#$%^ stinks too! forgot what fried ceramic smells like, yuk!

ph2t.

Edited by – ph2t on 20 March 2004 21:56:32

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Be careful with those signal solder pads, they lift VERY easily.

OUCH man that’s gotta hurt!

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

BTW i wouldn’t FRIGG around with those cheap armatures, they are pure crap.

Tamiya plasma dash….5mm high temperature diamond trued commutator…pure quality. NEVER lets you down.

ph2t
      Participant

I’ve got a 7389 fet back on and it still works!!!!:) I’m happy. But now when trying to stack I need to remove that black box thing, the ceramic resonater….. There’s just not enough room to solder the stacked pads….arghhhh…………….

ph2t.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

When removing the “black box” make sure all the legs “wobble” when you desolder them, just to make sure you don’t pull a plate out.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

My New Toy!!!

Waddaya rekon?

kyo_buggy.jpg

only $212 AUD

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Oh and if you break off a solder pad, its no issue, just trace the tracks that go under the “black box” back to the thru-circuit board hole and solder a wire in.

ph2t
      Participant

nice bro but don’t hijack my thread biatch! :smiley2:

doing a 4*2 stack now so I can handle that beastly motor of mine……

ph2t
      Participant
      Quote:
      Oh and if you break off a solder pad, its no issue, just trace the tracks that go under the “black box” back to the thru-circuit board hole and solder a wire in.

yeah I took some photo’s whilst the resonator was removed so I can trace those lines….. I’m trying to re-construct the H-bridge circuit so I can understand how they get the brake function. All this info will eventually help me build my own turbo.

ph2t.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

If i want to hijack this thread, i shall, and will. :smiley2::D

I really dunno if a 4×2 stack will hold up against a 25t motor.

ph2t
      Participant

we’ll the double did, I had a single and a double stack in the pcb and the single blew, the double was ok. go figure….

ph2t.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Try some thicker wire, .4mm is IDEAL for 25t.

ph2t
      Participant

thicker wire reduces resistance? therefore increases current? and increases torque yeah?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

ah YEP. i think that the more wire on the armature, the stronger the magnetic field.

ph2t
      Participant

Quad stack is now done:

hopefully it will fit…..

time for bead.

ph2t.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Try making the solder on pins 1 and 3 a bit thicker, put a thin piece of wire along the pins to aid in making the solder stick and make a big fat solder joint.

ph2t
      Participant

that’s makes sense, given that is where the main power links are to +VE and -VE.

cheers

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Yup, makes it easier and makes a lower resistance stack!

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Try making the solder on pins 1 and 3 a bit thicker, put a thin piece of wire along the pins to aid in making the solder stick and make a big fat solder joint.

Use offcut legs from resistors & diodes, easier to handle than wire. 🙂

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      Quote:

Use offcut legs from resistors & diodes, easier to handle than wire. 🙂

Ah tried that, but the easiest way is to use copper wire and wrap it around the FETS, do this before the fets are installed.

ph2t
      Participant

that’s a bit much though isn’t it?

micro_Amps
      Participant

Could always try using a 6 inch nail.
      :)uA

Keymaster

I’ve heard PCB board pins are pretty good for it.

BTW I’m about to order another batch of FETs…

They will be ‘cheap’ as the supplier has passed on some currency savings. Like 20% price drop….

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Keymaster

I’ve heard PCB board pins are pretty good for it.

BTW I’m about to order another batch of FETs…

They will be ‘cheap’ as the supplier has passed on some currency savings. Like 20% price drop….

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

merc-blue
      Participant

hmm the poor guys who designed these things thinking that people will have nece freindly even races must be furious with guys like u chucking that many fets in… :D…

merc-blue
      Participant

hmm the poor guys who designed these things thinking that people will have nece freindly even races must be furious with guys like u chucking that many fets in… :D…

Keymaster

I can’t wait to see a Mini-Z runnign a bunch of 2000mAh NiMh AA’s with a pair of T03 MOSFETs hanging off the roof 😉

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Keymaster

I can’t wait to see a Mini-Z runnign a bunch of 2000mAh NiMh AA’s with a pair of T03 MOSFETs hanging off the roof 😉

--
      Site Owner Guy.

ph2t
      Participant
      Quote:
      My 9×2 Stack is just not good enough, my 19t motor (0.5mm) overheats the FETs, infact, the FET stack seems to only pass about 10A!!

You should put a heatsink on the fets. If you look at the graphs in the datasheets for any fet you will find that the resistance of the fets increase as temperature increases. If you keep your fets cool you will ensure a low Rds(on) value for your fets…

Quote:
      In theory, my 19t, Neo magnet, 10 degree armature, with ball bearings *should* produce the power of a Johnson 540.

and how do you figure that?

ph2t.

ph2t
      Participant
      Quote:

You should put a heatsink on the fets. If you look at the graphs in the datasheets for any fet you will find that the resistance of the fets increase as temperature increases. If you keep your fets cool you will ensure a low Rds(on) value for your fets…

Quote:

and how do you figure that?

ph2t.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Power usage (in W) divided by 2, because brushed motors are around 50% eficient.

No ROOM for a heatsink, and besides, i am very happy with the motor it has, beats most 1/10 cars even below 20t!

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Power usage (in W) divided by 2, because brushed motors are around 50% eficient.

No ROOM for a heatsink, and besides, i am very happy with the motor it has, beats most 1/10 cars even below 20t!

Charlie Brown
      Participant

Sorry to revive an old topic, but I just have a few questions.

I fried the FETs on my Iwaver Mini-Z, and decided to remove them off the board. So, I desoldered the front, but I’m worried about the front solder pads being shorted. Also, I yanked the FETs off, which in turn, caused the drain legs to rip a nice section of traces off the board. :angry:

however, the solder pads for the source and gate connections are still OK, so I’m thinking of getting a solder sucker from RadioShack, and then soldering in wires and connecting it to an external turbo setup just like neurokinetik’s at tinyrc.com

So, any soldering advice?

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.