The Bit Char-G Toolkit

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Yeah, i have solder station, drills, dremels, and loads more tools (you can never have enough)…but i aint gonna lugg all of that to race meets!

Impreza. The reason I use graphite lube is for many reasons. Firstly, lubes such as vaseline, ceramic grease etc., have drag which significantly reduces performance, and picks up dirt and dust. With these lubes there is a constant need to clean and re-lube everything.

With graphite lube, it is dry, so no dust or dirt, it has no drag, makes the motor rev higher, and you should be able to apply it once, and almost never have to re-apply it again.

GT-ahh
      Participant

ive just got my whole electronics work bench…. theres alot of tools and stuff.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by jamiekulhanek on 01November2002

With graphite lube, it is dry, so no dust or dirt, it has no drag, makes the motor rev higher, and you should be able to apply it once, and almost never have to re-apply it again.

If this is just graphite powder… be very careful. Sniffing in too much of the stuff is real bad for you, its like copier toner and all the old photocopier technicians often get emphysema (aka lung cancer) even the non-smokers.

I use teflon paint. Works better & can’t be wiped off as easily as graphite powder.

GT-ahh
      Participant

if teflon is non-stick how do they get it to stick to frypans?

Impreza
      Participant

GT-ahh, here you go.http://www.discovery.com/area/skinnyon/skinnyon970606/skinny1.html I knew Very High Heat was involved:smiley1:

Cheers, I’m off to eat some teflon pancakes:smiley5:

Admin
      Participant

No Pandabear, i don’t stick the nozzle up my nose and sniff. The graphite lube isn’t easy to wipe off, especially between the teeth. Also, i only use the stuff outside, and use it once in a blue moon. I reckon youre just as likely to get cancer from pencils.

Why don’t they make teflon gearsets for the cars?

Admin
      Participant

And the copier technicians played with toner like every day.
      did you know coca-cola can give you cancer?

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by jamiekulhanek on 05November2002

did you know coca-cola can give you cancer?

Dunno, drink enough of it but I don’t personally swim in the stuff! :smiley3:Guess if you feed much-too-much of it to lab rats, they’d grow cancer too.

I hear Coke makes a pretty good rust remover too, cheaper than Selleys RustFix. Don’t try gargling with Coke though…

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by GT-ahh on 01November2002

if teflon is non-stick how do they get it to stick to frypans?

Teflon is a plastic compound. Its sprayed on to frypans and it cures on the surface like powdercoating.

Besides it don’t stick very well, I buy the best brands of cookware (Tefal, Meyer etc) and still the coatings only last so long before starting to bubble & peel. Overheating your pan will destroy the coating very quickly.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by jamiekulhanek on 05November2002

The graphite lube isn’t easy to wipe off, especially between the teeth. Also, i only use the stuff outside, and use it once in a blue moon. I reckon youre just as likely to get cancer from pencils.

Still unclear Jamie – you using graphite *powder* or graphite grease?

Ya, lots of things are carcinogenic these days, the cost ofmodern life. I’m totally suspect of mobile phones, its a prime source – I’d avoid yakking for hours. Its just a matter of which cancer gets you first… :smiley11:

Admin
      Participant

Graphite powder is sooo fine that it feel like grease but it is a powder, Just becarefull with the stuff in regard to your Bit char too. the powder is so fine it goes everywhere and if the stuff gets into the motor or the electronics it will kill you beloved car …US AF use a bomb that is based on this stuff to take out power station /substation 🙂

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by -ccw- on 06November2002

…US AF use a bomb that is based on this stuff to take out power station /substation 🙂

Yup, this stuff is pretty flammable… you can feed powered coal into an internal combustion engine (with different carburetion, naturally) and it’ll run too.

I use powered graphite to lubricate locks and my windscreen wiper rubbers. That’s what its usually sold for.

Admin
      Participant

flammable ey, take sout power/substation ey, mwhahaha, i mean oh that really bad:smiley15:

Admin
      Participant

You cant put solid fuel into an ic engine…dodgy fuel is bad enough, and how would you ignite it?

It is fine powder btw.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by jamiekulhanek on 07November2002

You cant put solid fuel into an ic engine…dodgy fuel is bad enough, and how would you ignite it? It is fine powder btw.

yeah, I know… but someone in one of the Unis did modify a current piston engine and fed it on powdered carbon. It had some kind of direct injection setup where the fuel was fed direct into the cylinder. Haven’t seen it on the showroom floor yet though – car that runs on pencil shavings!! :smiley2:

Carbon powder actually ignites easier than you think… eg take a teaspoonful and *blow* it over the top of a lit match. Do it OUTSIDE though… you’ll be most surprised. Come to think of it, BETTER NOT try it yourself; I’m a born pyromaniac and I’m used to putting out the fires heh heh heh (nobody saw it, nobody saw me do it, I know nuttin’!!).

Back in uni days, they’ve got engines that will run on just about anything. We even had one that you could vary the compression *whilst* it is running, that was quite cool. Nearly as cool as the gas turbine that idled at 50,000rpm – you can burn a lot of different fuels in this, from hydrogen to fossil oils.

Admin
      Participant

That variable compression engine sounds cool, it would be interesting to experiment with it. I have an engine that does that…model diesel engine.
      Was the power output lower than a standard engine? Also i reckon the engine would wear out faster, cause burnt carbon is a bit abrasive.

Anyway, were a bit off topic.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by jamiekulhanek on 07November2002

Anyway, were a bit off topic.

haha, true… don’t need IC engines in the toolbox!! :smiley2:

Admin
      Participant

A bit fitted with a teedee .010

PandaBear
      Participant

Someone did recently fit a tiny diesel engine to a Tamiya mini 1/32 monster truck and made it RC too… the pix are somewhere on the Net.

Admin
      Participant

that would be cool. i have 1/32 slotcars which have nice bodies. subaru wrc and audi tt-r. tee dee .020

i was thinking of buying a second hand 1/10 rc car and fitting a 1.40 os engine into it. crazy but fun.

PandaBear
      Participant

What’s a 1.40? As in 1.4cc or 1.4 cu-in?

If its 1.4cu-in, that’s about 20cc… that’s near weedwacker size and just a little bit too big to fit!!? Physically anyway…

Haha, I’m with ya – never possible to have “Enough” power!!

I love the OS Wankel engine too… one of these days I gotta go buy one for sourvenir. Its just too cool.

Admin
      Participant

wankel!!! how cool must sound awesome too. cost alot in glow fuel.

you can never have enough power eh? yeah weve got some big engines, which would fit ( dont forget weed whackers have a huge flywheel etc, etc.) so i reck on with a bit of mod you could get a 1.40 cu in (23cc?):smiley3:

PandaBear
      Participant

Nah (and we’re waaay off topic)… 23cc petrol engines are already used in the big-muthas 1/5ths… they don’t actually give out that much power for the size/weight. They’re 4-stroke and they really purr nicely (no screaming like a crying baby) but the cars don’t look too fast because they’re so big.

We’ve got a huge track down here for the 1/5ths, but truthfully the 1/8ths which also run there will lap the place faster. But with 4WD, sponge tyres and 3hp 21 engines, you’d expect that too!!

At least with petrol… unleaded is only $1/litre Vs $15 for nitro.

OS Wankel is a glow engine… I hear someone put one in a SuperTen before. Guess there must be pix on the web somewhere, but can’t find them yet.

Admin
      Participant

i have watever i find in my room on a given day.. or watever i make for myself (mini drivers)

lol..

Admin
      Participant

i got a Cox .49 glow engine that im currently fitting to my Canned Heat (like can cars) i got it new for $20 with sum weird flying kit that i never built.. bought it for the engine.. i cant wait to get it runnin.. no reverse.. no brakes.. just2 minutesof pure drive.. heh heh

i hope it doesnt flip.. well sorta :smiley15:

-Peace

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.