the new supra.

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
      z-beam
      Participant

0464453B0464453C.jpg

it started as a blank supra body i got for chrissy, i added some putty to fill out the the side skirts a little and remoddled the detail that was missing to give way for the crap looking exhaust pipe sticking out the side. i filled in the side mirror holes as well, they would just snapp off so get rid of em i say!

next came the paint, a primer coat thengunmetal highlighted with silver and finally a coat of tamiya s new colour shifting paint (ps-46) to give it some subtle pearly effects.

some would say a little too subtle,but i didnt have any black on hand (which its desined to be overcoated with on the inside of a poly body) so silver it was…

still need to fix all the little bits on the body like the lights e.t.c. and a couple of clear gloss coats…

046FCA440464453E.jpg
      heres a close up where you can see the green tinge better than the other pics.

0476A7C604644540.jpg
      and another pic showing the purple…

cant wait to get some more of the paint (and some more bodies to paint:smiley2:)

z-beam
      Participant

one more pic to show the side skirts!
      047154400464453F.jpg

betty.k
      Participant

wow, looks hot! i don’t think the colour shifting stuff is too subtle, shows up well.
      whatever you do, don’t let me near it!:D:dead::8ball:

leonli17
      Participant

It looks cool. But i think the car will be shinier if u use the normal colour shifting paint instead of Polycarbonate.

ph2t
      Participant

that looks mad man! just mad!

is that a blank autoscale shell?

ph2t.

z-beam
      Participant

yep its a blank autoscale shell

at the moment leon, tamiya doesnt make any “normal” colour shifting paint to my knowledge. any other brands of the stuff cost about $1000 per 1000mls/1litre, compare that to $10 for 100ml of tamiyas supply…

betty, its allready taken a few knocks… im not going to be scared of using this beauty! i just gotta show it off!

right now im setting two 3mm faceted iolites into the headlight receses… looks real nice! heres a pic of a hexangonal faceted iolite so you can get an idea of the colour… its a dichromatic stone which is grey on the y axis and violet on the z.in simple words its colour shifty as well… perfect match!

spiniolite.jpg

Edited by – z-beam on 06 January 2005 01:25:08

peteWah
      Participant

The car looks great but what dose it have to do with what i asked in that other thred/post, asking if the purple/green paint would look good with a splash of gold is all….

Forget the BUT :smiley2:

( I AM A VERY NARKEY BUGGER AT THE MOMENT, SORRY)

I love your work :smiley2:

I just Cant wait to get that Sprinter up to you man but you may have to reshape the whole front end:smiley2::smiley2::smiley2:
      Im suposed to be coming up north to Nambucca way, But if i can i will go all the way to see where your at and give it to you personally and travel back down…

Is this cool :smiley2:

Z-Nagual
      Participant

Awesome.:smiley16:

z-beam
      Participant

thanks fellas!

yo pete, this is what i sent you in the pm:
      “have a look in the mini-z discussion at the supra ive been working on, you can see the paint i was talking about there.”

what i meant is, by reading how i used the shifty paint (i.e. over silver) you could get an idea of how it would go with a gold undercoat.that and the green is way subtler than how the rex used to be… (its now telefonica blue)

personally, i wouldnt think it would be great because gold(yellow) is opposite of violet(purple) and be a little to much of a contrast.
      BUT i could be totally wrong and it could turn out great! only one way to find out…

finalized pics should be up later on today… come back tonight and have a look!

dgs73
      Participant

top quality stuff there, mate. Top of the class for that one… one thing; that’s an 02 Supra, yes?

z-beam
      Participant

welcome back dave! it was one of these but a blank + a little putty, paint and two sparkly iolites. i also left off a few of the pieces, like the side mirrors,side exhaust and the front “wings”.
      kyos0068a-2.jpg

Edited by – z-beam on 10 January 2005 16:58:23

dgs73
      Participant

oh, coolies… yeah, those front air-dam type things come off faster than the wing mirrors so that was a good idea… love the avatar too mate. Very trippy…:approve:

z-beam
      Participant

heres the update i promised…
      278B0E32278B0E33.jpg

27927C0D278B0E34.jpg

27952C58278B0E35.jpg

so what do you guys reckon now?:D

Edited by – z-beam on 11 January 2005 20:55:54

betty.k
      Participant

that’s really hot! at first i thought the stones would look a little silly but now i see it i’m sold!:smiley2:
      you gonna put lights behind them? how would light look through those stones?:8ball:

leonli17
      Participant

the Stone idea on the lights is bloody genius! THe car looks much better on the 2nd lot of pics. It’s pretty shiny! I love it

peteWah
      Participant

Thats the best picts ive seen of the paint job as yet, Would love to see it in the flesh, You can realy see the colour shift and like everyone is saying, Those stones are complimenting that supra front end real well, ILIKEITALOT. :approve::p:smiley2:

Btw Z in gegards to your answer about my question :smiley2: Thinking that the colour combo of Purple/Green would be to much of a colour contrast with the Gold… In saying that,
      Dont most contrasting colours compliment each other…
      :smiley2:

z-beam
      Participant

thanks guys, someone over at bitpimps suggested gemstones set in rims and that gave me ideas. rims could work but i thought the headlights could do with some extra sparkle, as most new cars these days have the shiniest chrome headlight fittings and the silver paint just wasnt enough to get this effect.

next time i have a go with this i’ll need some white stones, and zircons are still expensive (BUT WAAAAY CHEAPER THAN DIAMONDS).

as for the paint idea pete: yes they are refered to as complimentary opposites. purple and yellow definatly have this relationship… its the green that would look positivly sickly when it tried to show up over the gold.

the irredescent paint was designed for use over a neutral colour, black is recomended but i decided on using silver wich in colour theory would be considered white.

the only non neutral colour i tested with the paint was a blue ciggy lighter. it looked ok but no where near as nice as silver.

dgs73
      Participant

so how much to have my Supra shell sprayed Z-beam? lol looks neat as…:approve:

z-beam
      Participant

i rushed it! i was just too eager to get it done by boxing day night so i only spent 2 hours max on putty and 3 on the paint… and half that time was waiting!

dgs, if your serious pm me. it would be way cheaper with an unused blank. the reason is repairs to exhisting damage take a very long time to putty up and then sand back. after doing a lot of awesome (not) roofslides with the wrx i racked up over 5 hours worth of fiddling and it still wasnt smooth (improved tho). but that body was beat up before i ever owned it…

how cheap can you get blank bodies for dave?

dgs73
      Participant

i think around 25aud… will have to double check. Have a blank Monster floating around at home that i think may be getting a holiday…:D
      pm on the way…

Priest
      Participant

very nice work z-beam though i would darken join lines a little just to contrast between bonnet and guards etc etc apart from that excellent work good to see more and more custom bodies keep up the good work.

Z-Nagual
      Participant

Probably the most inventive and well done paint scheme on a mini-z yet! But now you cant race it.:D:smiley2: If you do race it you must get footage of it in action. It’d look absolutely sick dude.

z-beam
      Participant

awesome to hear that you guys like it!

join lines, mmmmm. i have just the idea. i will give it a go with some ink and a bucket of water handy in case i mess it up.

and as for racing with it, no racing so far but household muck abouts have allready hapened with it and it has the scars to prove it!

i will definatly get my hands on at least 2 more supras to do up to the same standard, 1 for permanant display and the other for sale once it all comes together… (i need 2 blank supras:smiley2:)

i might be meeting up with a newer member takata soon so maybe we might get some footage then.

Priest
      Participant

dont use metallics for ya join lines try a dark to medium grey…black will just make them stand out to much causing the lines to be focal point.where as the paint job should be the focal point

z-beam
      Participant

yeah i was thinking of useing a watered down ink with just a little detergent added for extra “seeking” ability. its an old trick i learnt with warhammer figures.

Priest
      Participant

funny that im in the same boat learn most of my paint theory from painting them little suckers but im more into the 40K stuff

z-beam
      Participant

i learnt all of my “proper” paint theory at high school doing three units of it. but space marines have been around me since i was 9 years old… a pack of 30 plastic mk.6 armour marines and a rhino for $80 was the best thing a kid could find.

i now have a nicely expanded ultramarine army spanning 13 years of releases, tyranids, tau, a small amount of dark eldar and a large force of traitor marines and traitor gaurd.

what armies have you got preist?

Edited by – z-beam on 16 January 2005 13:38:56

Priest
      Participant

im a true kit basher i not only love painting them i also modifying the sh*t out of them im not into the powder blue smurfmarines i prefere imperial guard more realism and less steriods. truefully ive never played a game of it in my life i just like painting the little sucker im working on a command squad for hopefully this years Golden Deamon awards..and btw if there is a piece you need of any character let me know i just about own the whole entire 40k catalogue

z-beam
      Participant

cool, ill keep that in mind. i too love a bit of modifiying. have a look in my webshots gallery at the latest squad i did. they are some “blood pact” traitor gaurd that i modelled the masks and other details onto them and are based on catachans.

the other nice conversion i did was a dreadnought based on a macross varitech.

have you got any photos of your work online?

Priest
      Participant

atm im working on a standard bearer/master vox for my cadian command squad deamon entry im using a ogryn and a backpack with a botton half of a dwarf and top half cadian trooper to make a very short ass trooper im basing on the master/blaster out of madmax but with a 40k feel. the last model i did was the cadian sentinal slight modding like fuel drum on the back and under the cab i stuck a cyclone missle launcher and comming out of the top the driver with radio in his hand got 2nd place local gw store paint contest

heres a look at me ogryn
      http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=253003344&ran=1195

Edited by – Priest on 17 January 2005 18:37:28

Edited by – Priest on 17 January 2005 19:32:11

z-beam
      Participant

i cant access that webshaots page because it is your managers page. you need to go to the public version of your photos and give me the link of it.

nice concept though, i would personally be using a ratling reather than a half dwarf/cadian for the master.

Priest
      Participant

yeah i tried the ratling though couldnt get it to look quite right so i just made a short trooper out of plastic parts and a bit of green stuff i like it better this way btw the pics arent to good though you will get the idea

sorry here it is the pics http://community.webshots.com/user/wolfpriest

z-beam
      Participant

webshots must be down at the moment, i cant access there site at all, ill have to wait to get to see your stuff…

z-beam
      Participant

from what i can see your painting skills are pretty good, and the conversion looks nicely thought out.

blaster had a helmet on to hide the retarded look on his face, im sure there could be a dumber stupified ogre head in the range somewhere…

Priest
      Participant

shoot…i forgot about blasters helmet hmm might have to drag out the green stuff

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.