The sony psp thread!

Home Forums General Chat The sony psp thread!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      z-beam
      Participant

ok so they rock. well and truely.

but only recently has the sheer rockularness of the sony psp been totally unleashed. homebrew is now possible on 2.0+ firmware psp’s.

whats firmware? itss the permanantly written operating system a psp uses, and sony have been releasing it as an attemt to counter clever people from being able to use thier psp hardware for more than sony sanctioned activities.

every sony psp on release day was “infected” with firmware version 1.52, meaning the great user created freeware that would work on a 1.5 firmware equipped psp wouldnt work.

then grand theft auto hit the shelves, and along with it firmware 2.0 and a web browser application. for a while there it seemed homebrew and gta wouldnt mix. but then a guy called edison carter came up with a way to manipulate the gta save file to access hidden code in the gta:lcs disk that let you fly choppers and planes. cool eh?

instead of a code however, he created a new in game menu to access this unlocked ability, and thus the first 2.0 peice of homebrew was made.

from finding the hole in the firmware that let this be possible, the “tiff exploit” became reworked and now homebrew is possible on 2.0 psp’s without the gta disk. its a hidden executable within a picture, the psp opens the picture thinking its just another photo and wham, your in homebrew heaven.

http://www.fanjita.org/

this fella, fanjita along with a few freinds then use this “tiff exploit” to make a program called eloader. the newest version dubbed “porter” will work on firmwares up to (but not including) 2.8.

this eloader program manages homebrew on your psp. its fantanstic.

a few things ive got running on my little 1 gig memory stick include:

a neo geo emulator, complete with 20 or so arcade perfect ports of classics like samurai showdown and puzzle bobble.

a super nintendo emulator, as well as a megadrive emulator.

psp pool, spider solotaire, and pspong…

more info later…..

Kerosene
      Participant

Anyone into homebrew/emus should have a look at the GP2X . It can’t compete with the PSP in terms of ‘modern games’ – but it runs Linux, so there’s no probs with homebrew, and there’s a crap load of emus for it. Takes plain old SD cards and has built in TV out which is pretty neat.

gp2xfikmegadrive.jpg

I got one for a little over $300 (shipped from HK) including a 2GB card.

But I still might have to get a PSP one day.

aussiexmodder
      Participant

My PSP is version 2.71 so I dont think I can run homebrew games on it.

Kerosene
      Participant

I don’t have a PSP so I haven’t tried it, but there’s a 2.71 downgrader here.

z-beam
      Participant

http://pspupdates.qj.net/TIFF-Pong-v0-1-fw2-70-2-80/pg/49/aid/65739

heres some basic homebrew using the tiff exploit running on 2.7-2.8 homebrew.

have fun!

PandaBear
      Participant

yay! I can now play Pong…!! 🙂

Had a v1.50 but never tried homebrewing with it;
      got too tempted by GTA-LCS so had to go v2.00 subsequently.

ph2t
      Participant

I’ve got 2.71, are you now saying that IU can homebrew without needing to stuff around with the GTA disk or downgraders?????

z-beam/panda/kero, you fellas interested on movies for the PSP? I’ve converted a fair few “backup copies” that I then watch on the way to work.

Rule of thumb though, don’t watch comedies on the train the work, you’ll look like a real dickhead laughing out loud for no apparent reason, been there, done that! lol….

ph2t.

PandaBear
      Participant
      ph2t wrote:
      z-beam/panda/kero, you fellas interested on movies for the PSP? I’ve converted a fair few “backup copies” that I then watch on the way to work.
      Tnx for the offer but Tried watching vids on PSP… once.
      Forced meself to watch entire Tokyo Drift on it but heck,
      the screen is waaaaaay too small. No wonder no one bought UMDs…

Dunno how Video iPods are supposedly so popular… or is it just because
      you can get any other large-capacity iPod without video anymore.

PSP ain’t much good as a portable pic player too… takes like 2-3 secs
      to load each pic, data transfer from the MStick ain’t all that fast.

z-beam
      Participant

yup, ph2t! i upgraded to 2.6 the other night when a demo version of tekken:dark reserection turned up at the p.o for me from sony. great fun!

then, i hooked my psp up to the pc and copied my GAME file contaiing all homebrew and deleted my older version of eloader.

downloaded eloaders newest version (.99 iirc) and then stuck the game file back in the right spot and woot, back in action.

good thing is, a lot of the newer brew works better on 2.6 than on 2.0 heh. then again, some of the older brew like my mega drive emo wasnt compatible.

but still, the 2.6 firmware let me bust out some cash on some new releases and i bought field commander and metal gear acid 2.

also, an emulator for the capcom play system 1 has been released and it works great. i have original arcade perfect final fight, punisher, forgotten worlds and street fighter 2 champion edition on my psp. much fun passing around sf2 trying to beat it with a bunch of freinds, its tougher than i remembered…

as for movies, i got enspired by a looong trip to buy sin city and i was impressed. with nice headphones (no! not the buds ouch!) and a flip top cover than acts like a stand so you dont have to hold it for ages it was awesome.

i must say though it was in the dark. the size of the screen doesnt really matter when theres nothing else in your field of vision… i actually prefered the umd crispness over watching sin city on my 108 cm rear projection.

z-beam
      Participant
      Kerosene wrote:
      I don’t have a PSP so I haven’t tried it, but there’s a 2.71 downgrader here.

noooooooooooooo dont touch downgraders. there really is no point apart from wanting to pirate games. all great homebrew works fine on 2.0-2.71. that and downgraders can destroy the psp if done wrong. and there are many ways for it to be done wrong…

theres even a “hello world” for 2.8 proving that eloader can continue through all the updates sony want to throw at us.

and besides, the psp was built to play great games, and even 100,000 emulated classics dont come anywhere near the awesomness of multiplayer gta deathmatch.

z-beam
      Participant

also panda, the pics are slow due to your memory card. there is a noticable difference between sony sticks andthe sandisk ones. my neighbor shelled out for a sony high speed one, and yeah there is aa fair difference in pic load times. but i still cant fathom why all sony sticks arnt high speed… bastards!

PandaBear
      Participant
      z-beam wrote:
      also panda, the pics are slow due to your memory card. there is a noticable difference between sony sticks andthe sandisk ones. my neighbor shelled out for a sony high speed one, and yeah there is aa fair difference in pic load times. but i still cant fathom why all sony sticks arnt high speed… bastards!
      hmm, worth investigating!

I’m using a Sony 1GB, standard issue not the hi-speed one.
      Was trying to slideshow pix 1.5MB 6MP jpgs straight from the D70.

Next chance I find some hi-speed stix cheap might grab one to try.

z-beam
      Participant

heh, china is at it again!

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=chinese+psp+clones&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

i-waver psp’s. attack of the clones all over….

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.