The ultimate track

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      t00l
      Participant

Well guys, after having been racing around the house for a while me and dad have decided that we need somewhere larger to race on. We decided its time for a track :D. We will be planning out the track for around a month or so and then hopefully start getting the track under way. Once finished i hope we can attract some locals or kids around the xmas holidays coming up or possibly after xmas if our local toy store can manage to sell some to the kids out there and start racing for around $65 prizes. This will most probo include a full set of energizer batteries (4x aaa recharge + 8x aa recharge) and a battery charger. Im hoping i could possibly charge about 5$ a race over a set month for the ultimate champ racer 😀 (around 5 races total)

Anyway, enough shit, now that im into the planning stage im looking for everything you guys want in a track and what exactily you think makes a good track

eg. lights, bridges, large tyres, the scenery, lights for night racing etc.

and what track layout do you think i should have

replica of a track or just a simple custom one?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

First thing to consider: Track surface…..
      Second thing to consider Size/Layout/Corner Radius.
      Third thing to consider: Scenery:p A replica track (Mount Panorama :)) would be nice. Bridges (dont make the bridge too sloped, or you’ll hit the car’s front bar).

Good Luck.

barto_85
      Participant

I like high speed tracks, so maybe a few straights, wide turns, and maybe some technical sections to slow you down and make it more interesting.

t00l
      Participant
      Quote:
      I like high speed tracks, so maybe a few straights, wide turns, and maybe some technical sections to slow you down and make it more interesting.

you got any good examples of tracks like this or something i would be able to make a clone of?

barto_85
      Participant

hmmm, not really, I’ve only got a pool table to work with, and a smartland race set, I’ll see what I can find though. There are pics of my track in my gallery, its a different layout each time, but its not much fun because its so small.

Admin
      Participant

what about some of the tracks in gt2 or gt3?

t00l
      Participant
      Quote:
      what about some of the tracks in gt2 or gt3?

ohhh, thats a bloody smart idea
      goto give you big credit for that one

ive goto go play ps2 now 😀

DaveF
      Participant

Basing a track for home on a real track, or the ones in GT on the PS2 can end up being large in the total area, but short in the length of track you get to race on. For me personally, the more racing track and less grass/scenery areas the better.

Things I think that make a good looking track. Advertising on Barriers, and in the places that real tracks plaster advertising (Bridges, signs in grass areas, etc).
      Bridges – ones you can drive over are great, but you need to work out your angles really well before you start building. Also pedestrian bridges, tyre bridges. They add a sencs of 3d to the track.
      Scenery – realistic looking buildings, trees and bushes look fantastic, but sometimes this can be expensive to add, or tricky to make.
      Lights – set of starters lights at least.
      Additional vehicles – support crew, trucks, ambulance, etc.

Thats my suggestions anyway

barto_85
      Participant
      Quote:
      Basing a track for home on a real track, or the ones in GT on the PS2 can end up being large in the total area, but short in the length of track you get to race on. For me personally, the more racing track and less grass/scenery areas the better.

Things I think that make a good looking track. Advertising on Barriers, and in the places that real tracks plaster advertising (Bridges, signs in grass areas, etc).
      Bridges – ones you can drive over are great, but you need to work out your angles really well before you start building. Also pedestrian bridges, tyre bridges. They add a sencs of 3d to the track.
      Scenery – realistic looking buildings, trees and bushes look fantastic, but sometimes this can be expensive to add, or tricky to make.
      Lights – set of starters lights at least.
      Additional vehicles – support crew, trucks, ambulance, etc.

Thats my suggestions anyway

You sound like you’ve made a track before?

Edited by – barto_85 on 29 August 2003 09:59:38

Admin
      Participant

Where abouts is this track gonna be????

DaveF
      Participant

Why yes Barto, I have. =o)

Some examples of great looking BCG scale tracks:

http://www.got-skillz.com/
      http://members.shaw.ca/zenofstuff/initialcharg10.html Although I think the actual track layout would get boring to race around.
      http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ilestpas.net%2Fmini-zone%2Fbitcharg%2Fcircuit01%2Fcircuit01.htm&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

There’s also some great looking slot car tracks out there. Their layout is limited by the slots, but they go all out on the trimmings to make it look lifelike.

t00l
      Participant
      Quote:
      Where abouts is this track gonna be????

well we have a double car port under cover and then it merges into a work area behind, im looking at filling up as much of the space as i can while allowing space for the racers to stand in.

I know all that stuff is great but its going to take a shitload of planning and time to do wich is the only problem having all this stuff due in for school every min (year 12)

thanks for the advice anyway dave, ill give some more planning ago and check out the tracks at lunch (teachers around now)

Admin
      Participant

im thinking about making a track myself, but i can’t not until i finnish school anyway. has any one used hard card board? cause i was thinking of using that for rails or surface. im planning to make it with my friend, its gonna be pretty big cause he has an empty house he doesnt use for any thing and his lounge is huge.

t00l
      Participant
      Quote:
      im thinking about making a track myself, but i can’t not until i finnish school anyway. has any one used hard card board? cause i was thinking of using that for rails or surface. im planning to make it with my friend, its gonna be pretty big cause he has an empty house he doesnt use for any thing and his lounge is huge.

lucky bugger 😛

cardboard sounds good hey, nice and cheap, and soft

Admin
      Participant

yeah easy to handle and cut too.

t00l
      Participant
      Quote:
      yeah easy to handle and cut too.

only problem is it can look ghetto at some times 😛

anyway guys, ive decided to stick to a flat track, the bridge wouldnt be looking like a bridge if i did one as of the steepness you would have to lay off. it would probo catch air anyway 😛

ive just decided fun and fast flat track with lots of trees and stuff 🙂

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.