THUNDERDROME 2004 – Coburg, Melbourne VIC

Home Forums General Chat THUNDERDROME 2004 – Coburg, Melbourne VIC

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      PandaBear
      Participant

Heads up folks.

Its on again this year… on 28th Feb.

If you’ve never seen an RC car go 100km/h++ (true Radar checked speed, no josh) ya don’t want to miss THUNDERDROME 2004!

Place is Coburg velodrome.

Come & watch or better still, come and take part! Bring your RC car – electric & gas, set it up for ultimate top speed. Even if there’s no suitable racing class for you, you can try the Top Gun run – the ultimate no-Rulez dash for glory.

Instructions, directions & Entry Form is right here –> KROMA website (PDF)

Who’s gonna be there??!! :):):)

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Not me.

merc-blue
      Participant

grrr if only i had my B4… 🙁 i would kick all u guys whooo yeah

ph2t
      Participant

yo Panda, you going man? Let’s see if any of the Melbourne crew are interested. If the numbers are there I might come as well..

cheers,

ph2t.

PandaBear
      Participant

Yep definitely have chalked it up for an appearance at the least.

Undecided still wether or not to run… maybe I might try wangle an ‘outlaw’ entry into mod. Car/s setup is pretty much spot on and pretty much on par with last year’s pace – saw 70-72km/h this morning.

uA/ph2t:- any ideas of some electronics magic to make a “Top Gun” entry??! Fastest spot speed by the gun takes bragging honours.

Have a TA03 here that’s itching to have a PAIR of hot motors chucked in for a shot at 100km/h.

Nothing planned for next w/e if you care to meetup somewhere & swap notes.

If I had serious dough, this would be it:- 🙂

jet-car.jpg

jet-car2.jpg

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Why not rig up a few G-Type Estes motors, they have like 7kg of thrust.

PandaBear
      Participant

There was talk about rocket cars in 2003, but none turned up. Pity!

Also for the Top Gear run, they expect you do do a test lap first and the car has to be controllable around the bend too. So need something with 30-40secs of burn time minimum.

PandaBear
      Participant

Hey Jamie – aren’t you coming over for the F1??

You might be able to make it to Thunderdrome… bring that Mini Z along & we’ll clock it for you. 🙂

micro_Amps
      Participant

Sorry Panda I missed this thread.
      (I am just wondering what happens to the car in the second pic, when the cord on the hairdryer gets pulled out)
      Seriously though, I am interested. I have always wondered what kind of speeds a decent brushless powered car could obtain, no doubt there will be one there on the day.
      Are you serious about competing?
      The 28th is a Saturday which makes it tricky for me, but I sure as hell am interested.
      :DuA

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      The 28th is a Saturday which makes it tricky for me, but I sure as hell am interested.

Yep… its a Sat EVENING too, so we’ll have to skip the boozing. :dead:

Quote:
      (I am just wondering what happens to the car in the second pic, when the cord on the hairdryer gets pulled out)

Dunno, get a longer extension? :p

Quote:
      Seriously though, I am interested. I have always wondered what kind of speeds a decent brushless powered car could obtain, no doubt there will be one there on the day.

Brushless is about on par with what the best brushed 540-sized motors
      can do today, so its not anything eyeopening. The main benefit is
      that BL usually runs bit cooler and needs a lot less (barely any)
      maintenance – ie its performance does not drop away after 2 runs.

Saw a peak of 72km/h last Sunday, but someone else has already
      reported 74km/h just running a brushed motor. (these are the race
      cars btw, need to run nonstop for 4 mins = ~16-20 laps not just 1)
      No doubt there’ll be others going quicker again.

Hey, if you guys like we can get together and swap notes before the day! :smiley16: Either weekend is good, drop me a line.

Admin
      Participant

I’ll be there to defend my velodrome mod title this year!

I managed to get my poor little Evo 3 to 75km/h last year with some conservative gearing, hoping to do more (damage) this year 🙂

Keymaster

Is this where I suggest a very much lightened RWD M-01 chassis?

That’s gotta be one of the lightest and most ‘basic drive trains … maybe some extended arms to giove a wider track and a little more length? *ponders*

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Is this where I suggest a very much lightened RWD M-01 chassis?

That’s gotta be one of the lightest and most ‘basic drive trains … maybe some extended arms to giove a wider track and a little more length? *ponders*

Still nowhere as ‘basic’ as a Direct-Drive Formula-1 or Pro10 pan car.
      Motor pinion straight to spur on axle! 😀

PandaBear
      Participant

Welcome over, Itchy!

Quote:

I managed to get my poor little Evo 3 to 75km/h last year with some conservative gearing, hoping to do more (damage) this year 🙂

And the ghost of that very same Evo3 is still haunting the ‘drome, hahaha…! :smiley16:

merc-blue
      Participant

i recon one of the top line tourer with a novak brushless and the whole sustetion tweaked and stuff would be a great car. the new assasin or sumthign i recon would be great

Admin
      Participant

Just thought I’d drop by and see what the fuss is all about 🙂

Quote:
      Welcome over, Itchy!

Quote:

And the ghost of that very same Evo3 is still haunting the ‘drome, hahaha…! :smiley16:

PandaBear
      Participant

Cameras and speed radars… yep, it can only be Melbourne. 👿

20040228%20Velodrome%2015.jpg

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      Hey Jamie – aren’t you coming over for the F1??

You might be able to make it to Thunderdrome… bring that Mini Z along & we’ll clock it for you. 🙂

I would have loved the thunderdrome day, just my cuppa tea, anything with wheels and a motor of some sort does it for me.

I feel like an idiot now, i an going to make sure i go to the F1 next year, But this weekend ill be watching it from home :dead:. Are you going?

However, I am coming over to melbourne with a friend in 1 month, so Zed will be there for a fang 🙂

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.