THUNDERDROME 2005 is on again! (Melbourne)

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion THUNDERDROME 2005 is on again! (Melbourne)

Viewing 45 reply threads
  • Author
      PandaBear
      Participant

keep

Saturday February 26th evening

free boys, cos

THUNDERDROME 2005

is on again!!

Coburg Velodrome

http://home.iprimus.com.au/anthonygray/Velo_Poster_05_s.JPG

leonli17
      Participant

I really tempted to go but i’m scared that by the end of it i only know how to turn left:dead:.
      Might bring a few friends along to show them what they’ve been missing on while i play with RC:D

betty.k
      Participant

this should be a good one for the non rc literate to attend. the open class electric and nitro will be reason enough to attend. and by the looks of it there will be a special racecam booth!:D:8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Geed I’d hate to be racing a bicycle on that track after the nitro cars do their stuff…all that oil blackeye:

I’d love to go, but none of my cars are fast enough, nitro buggy only reaches 57km/h :blush:…

merc-blue
      Participant

yeah i wanna see if a jet turbine car shows up.. ive heard of these things showing u[ and dominating in the USA..

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Geed I’d hate to be racing a bicycle on that track after the nitro cars do their stuff…all that oil blackeye:

nah, its a open air concrete velodrome, gets washed every rainfall. :p

Besides, racing bikes don’t need much traction. Less friction
      the better so their tyres are skinny and rock hard too.

merc-blue
      Participant

hey panda u recn a 8double with a stupid high gear ratio (4) would be fast enough for a show?

micro_Amps
      Participant

Think I might have to mosy along as well.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      hey panda u recn a 8double with a stupid high gear ratio (4) would be fast enough for a show?

Nope. Me have rumour the showboats will be flashing 5 & 6 turns and gearing like 3s… πŸ‘Ώ

8t with 4:1 would have half a chance of making 4m runtime but. :p

merc-blue
      Participant

yeah.. well i got nice new 3300s all over 1.175 and over 340s.. hmm so u recon now worth the damage thata crash will do. or the bunt out motor and tyres..

betty.k
      Participant

i’m gonna hook up a 2 x 1 turn motor with a 1:1 ratio!:D (swap the spur and pinion around!:dead:
      we’ll be able to run our “slow cars” the week before during our test session!:8ball:

micro_Amps
      Participant

To hell with gearing, just plug the rear wheel straight on to the motor shaft.
      Sorry, now I’m just being silly, midnight @ 31degC does that.

merc-blue
      Participant

well we could get int like a 2:1 gearing with a hacker BL system in a oval car (so light and fast) and with 10 cells.. stupidly fast.. but stupidly expensive

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

strap a dozen estes rockets onto the chassis πŸ˜€

merc-blue
      Participant

there like 12newton seconds.. 4 mins runtime.. hmm well each of them will accel tha car roughly .9 meter persecond persecond for 1 second (assuming the car is 1500g (min legal weight)) now thats 12meters per second for one second so top speed is around 5kph then it slows down.. .lol maybe 100 of them to make 4 mins of 80kph+ time

betty.k
      Participant

merc, you just don’t know when to have fun!:smiley2::8ball:

PandaBear
      Participant

All your skyhigh gearing equations have ignored 1 thing… one BIG thing… that you won’t have enough torque to get it moving from standstill.

Otherwise we’d all be using direct-drive motors from a HDD (hey they do 7200rpm, right??!) mounted to the tips of your suspension arms.

No one has yet done it like the Bonneville salt flat racers… eg use another car/powersource to boost it up to rolling speed before the car’s gearing takes over.

According to MOTOR mag Jan/05 edn, a pushbike’s record stands at 280km/h.

leonli17
      Participant

i wonder how does that pushbike goes up to 280km/h without shaking and flipping and…………..:dead:

but that reminds me to go and get MOTOR mag.:smiley16:

merc-blue
      Participant

leon the keep it on salt flats and also behind a car that makes like a air pocket for it to go in

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

yeah, basically a drag car with a little shed on the back, the bike rides in the shed thingy and has no wind resistance whatsoever.

90% of your energy goes into overcoming wind resistance on a bike…

leonli17
      Participant

ahh, i got it now. but they probably make the handle bar of the bike really tight, otherwise it’ll shake like hell under that speed even on salt flats.

PandaBear
      Participant

Next weekend, folks.

betty.k
      Participant

well that was a hoot!!:p thrills, spills, chills ‘n kills! mayhem mayhem mayhem!!

i’d never seen nitro tourers before, man those things fly!
      and who could forget the wallriding 1:6 tourer (was actually carving the fence above the turns!)
      the 1:12 pan cars were definately fast enough to hold their own, just a little hard to control by the looks of things.
      and those mo3 mini’s can really go!:p made for exiting racing.

i think the top gun winner was a nitro tourer at 92kph, it’s really quite scary being near the track with that thing going!

here’s a pic of the camera car:8ball:

PandaBear
      Participant

Hey hey, big THANKS for all your help, bK!! πŸ™‚
      Best AV technician ever. :smiley16:

Think Andy Cooke (aka Cookie) topped the chart @ 99km/h.

haha, lucky we packed the radar.

defmondo
      Participant

Hi Pandabear,

Thanks for bringing out the radar made it much easier for the speed runs.

Yeah your right Andy with 99Km/h me with 91km/h and I think the fastest gas car was 83Km/h

It was an awesome night, cant wait for the next one.

Tony

merc-blue
      Participant

woah defmondo on ausmicro … wats next shurikarn.. hara.. masami? lol

defmondo
      Participant
      Quote:
      woah defmondo on ausmicro … wats next shurikarn.. hara.. masami? lol

Whats wrong with ausmicro?

merc-blue
      Participant

nothing.. just dont expect some of aussies better 1:10 drivers to sign up to a mainly 1:28 forum

defmondo
      Participant

“better”? you reckon?

This is Velodrome, it transcends all class and scale distinctions :smiley2:

As was proven last night by the variety of cars from 1/6th scale down to the Mini R doing 58km/h

Tony

Edited by – defmondo on 28 February 2005 13:01:39

Edited by – defmondo on 28 February 2005 13:02:46

PandaBear
      Participant

Tony gets around!

When do you want the 2005 tape?? πŸ˜€

Quote:
      Yeah your right Andy with 99Km/h me with 91km/h and I think the fastest gas car was 83Km/h

One went 80km/h to zero in the space of one kid… πŸ™‚

Quote:
      It was an awesome night, cant wait for the next one.

Hope there *is* another one, turnout wasn’t all that flash huh?

ps: Did you boys repair the entry chain afterwards?? :p

defmondo
      Participant
      Quote:
      Tony gets around!

Shhhh dont tell everybody πŸ˜€

Quote:

Quote:
      One went 80km/h to zero in the space of one kid… πŸ™‚

very scary..

Quote:
      Hope there *is* another one, turnout wasn’t all that flash huh?

I hope so to, I cant wait for the next one, we will go over 100Km/h next time.

Quote:
      ps: Did you boys repair the entry chain afterwards?? :p

What entry chain πŸ™‚

left before the place was locked up… So I would say “No idea.”

betty.k
      Participant

i dunno whose it was but that orange 1:10 nitro tourer was a beast! to the inexperienced (me) it’s hard to believe something revving that hard and loud can actually stay together!:shock:
      and if you want full on speed then you should look into pan chassis cars. 1:12, 1:10, whatever. they just fly! i noticed steve from phantom hobbies was in complete control of his nitro pan, very impressive skills! i’m sure it’s harder than it looks, he made it look like a casual cruise!:smiley16:

if there is a next year i thoroughly recommend heading down, great to see people with skills showing us what these little buggers can do! and if you love a good crash, well, trust me. you’ll love it!!:p:8ball:

defmondo
      Participant
      Quote:

hehehe forgot to answer this before.

Soon, but not until after the GP, working on something now.

Tony

betty.k
      Participant

hey panda, i wouldn’t mind a copy of that vid, even just to borrow for a couple of nights. i’ll put together a little vid for the masses:smiley2::8ball:

defmondo
      Participant

Here are some videos from Saturday night:

http://velodrome.defmondo.com

Enjoy.

Tony

PandaBear
      Participant

Hmm… thanks for confirming there WAS a huge dark spot at entry into Turn 1 – kept losing sight of the car after dark. :blush:

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      hey panda, i wouldn’t mind a copy of that vid, even just to borrow for a couple of nights. i’ll put together a little vid for the masses:smiley2::8ball:

Sure thing T. Will go dig up 2003’s footage too. I’ll bootleg a copy onto tape when I next find some time and pass it to you, see what you can do with it.

defmondo
      Participant

Panda you have a pm.

How does another velodrome race sound for the year?
      [insert woooosh sound here]

August 21st is the new tentative date for the next velodrome race this year, it will be a sunday and a day meeting.

Should be fun.

defmondo
      Participant

Looks like it’s on again.

August 21st Coburg velodrome, this time a Sunday and a day meeting.

Gates open 8am for some practice.

There is also a practice day scheduled for August 13th a Saturday after noon 1pm to 5pm, no power will be available for practice but it’s free.

Should be awesome.

Tony

betty.k
      Participant

hot dog!!tongue.gifi’ll be there! the last one was a blast!

let’s see who breaks the 100kph barrier first!big.gif8ball.gif

merc-blue
      Participant

this time its during the day.. WOO

defmondo
      Participant

Here are the full details, should be mighty fine:

It’s Back! Go fast, turn left… The Velodrome returns for the 2nd time in 2005!!

There is no experience in r/c that’s anything like the Velodrome. It’s in a class all of its own. You think going around on an oval is boring? Think again…. Check out the d/l section below for the proof.

And this time for the first time ever it’s a daytime event!! Gates open 8.00 am, Racing from 10.00 am.

Sunday August 21st at the Coburg Velodrome, Charles St Coburg.

If you haven’t been before then you MUST experience the thrill and challenge of driving at 80km/h plus around the banked oval.

The Coburg track measures 250 metres in total with steeply banked corners at each end and is Olympic standard size.

Races are 4 minutes long with the usual Alycat timing and transponders. Power will be available, and you can park next to the track. And we now have the use of the Cycling Club clubrooms so the old days of having to answer the call of nature out in nature are long gone.

Classes are Mini, F1, Off-Road, Stock Touring Car, Mod Touring Car, 1/12th, Open Nitro, Nitro Pro Tourer, 1/8th, 1/5th, and Top Gun. In fact if the demands there, we’ll run a class for anything!

Race entry is $10 per class and spectators are admitted FREE!

More info is available at the remarkably pissweak website http://backtothedome.itgo.com

or email Tony Gray anthonygray@iprimus.com.au phone 0417362530 or Lance Mc Diarmid 93126182

Want to see some of the action? D/loads available here.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/anthonygray/Velo_WMV_NEW.wmv 1.7mb ‘Compilation clips’

http://home.iprimus.com.au/anthonygray/Cookie_TopGun.wmv 2.8mb ‘Andy Cooke’s amazing 99km/h Top Gun run’

http://home.iprimus.com.au/anthonygray/Open_Elec_Heat3.wmv 2.5mb ‘Fast? You bet’

Download the flyer

http://home.iprimus.com.au/anthonygray/THUNDERDOME_2_Small.gif 360kb

Want to see the full 40min Video CD from Februarys event? Email Tony Gray with your name and address and we’ll send you one out! (Free too!)

The track is locked to the public normally, but we hope to organise a practice session afternoon, probably on Sat 13th Aug. More details will be announced when this is confirmed.

If you’ve been to the Velodrome before, then you know how good it is, if you haven’t then you absolutely MUST be here this time. It’s a day you wont ever forget.[/quote]

peteWah
      Participant

I saw some vids of 1 of the meet ups down there and i say WOW, If i was in VIC i would come to watch…

Thats a Cycling Track is it not…:huh:
      If so i would like to try it some time on the indoor short track 1 in Sydney, But i don’t like our CHANCES :smiley2:

defmondo
      Participant

Yeah that is a cycling track, 250m in length on the racing line.

Indoor would be interesting, it’s polished wood isnt it?

Tony

peteWah
      Participant

Correct,
      The Limpix 1
      I would like to get a fast mini-z on there with foams
      or a low degree rubber tyre…

Maybe the sylicone trick that panda was talking about would be worth a go with foams
      (still not sure how that works but hay)
      But i still dont like are chances of getting in ther with R/C :smiley2:

A mate of ours up here has a Pro4 with a Brushless motor and esc to handle + a double stick pack battery setup and im not sure what else,
      It Flys >Almost.
      Lets just say you would need a runway to open the beast right up… Its a Nitro KILLER. :p:smiley2:

Edited by – peteWah on 21 July 2005 10:15:52

defmondo
      Participant

The HPI sounds perfect for the velodrome speed run..

I just read on the Corally website that someone has had an RDX running at 115km/h with 6 cells and a 7×1, prety impressive. http://www.corally.com (racing news section)

Cant wait for the velodrome race here.

Viewing 45 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.