Tinting Windows

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Hey

just wondering how many people have tried tinting the windows of their bit char-g ??

How did you do it ?? And what did you use to do it ?? And where did you get it from

I want to tint the windows on my customised painted yellow wrx

any suggestions would be appreciated

Admin
      Participant

hey barrelll this sounds quite challenging and i wish you luck with it. I also want to tint the windows on my custom painted honda accord, and i think that the way to do it is to smudge on some dry-erase marker, but i am not sure if this will look dodgy or not.

Ill be sure to keep my eye on this discussion to see what everyone else thinks

jazza_1984

Admin
      Participant

if you want really dark tinted windows so you cant see in then you can just put black majic marker on the inside of the car shell where the windows are and when you flip it back over the other way the black on the inside of the window looks like tint look at my S2000 in my sig

Admin
      Participant

you actually cant see it in this sig but what i did on my two passenger windows and headlights you can see the black on the headlights

Admin
      Participant

anybody else got anything else i can try ?

I was going to go to car tinting place and see if i could but some tinting sticker stuff and put it on and cut it out.

Ill see how that goes, but any other suggestions would be helpful

Admin
      Participant

There was once a product known around the traps as “spray tint” and you could get it from K-Mart. People did there car tail lights with it to make them darker…. if you can still get it, I recommend you try it !

Here is the link for an Australian brand… they call it night shades 🙂 1 can should do about 1000 cars !

http://www.speco.com.au/vht_special.html

Admin
      Participant

i acutally used one of those overhead markers to tint my window red….it looks pretty nice…..u can’t notice the darker spots unless u look really closely….(u gotta do a pretty good job though)….well its not that hard….just don’t be sloppy….yah….lol another cool cheap mod to do is to put electrical tape on ur rear tires for the drifting experience! hehehe its so much fun!…..lemme capture a pic for ya guys…..*5 min later*…oh i wanted those super hyper white bulbs for headlights but those LEDs are hella expensive! like 5 bucks a piece for the 3mm…..or maybe my local electronics store is rippin me off….but i went to radio shack and bought a huge pack of assortment LED’s for like a dollar….save me some money…and plus yellow doesn’t look so bad….and man! i lost my spoiler for the GTR! i’m so mad!….

anywho…here’s the links…sorry i captured it from this IBM pc camera my dad got for like 5 bucks…so the quality isn’t that great….

http://www.geocities.com/jolton49/car1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/jolton49/car2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/jolton49/headlight.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/jolton49/body.jpg

*ionno why the links don’t work…just copy and paste em into ur browser*

Admin
      Participant

Another way – and probably a lot easier is to look in your local telephone directory for car autoshops and give them a call. They may have some off-cuts of proper window tint plastic that they’ll give to you or charge you a small amount. You then simply apply it to the inside of your car.

Martin

avoid the noid
      Participant

ok what i did on my ae86 was i have a friend who works in an auto shop that tints windows i asked them for the scraps so i got some and tint sticks to the windows pretty good BUT HERE IS A WARNING if you have lost your electronics cover do not tint the windows i was told that the tint cant touch any electronics because of the stuff they are made of i will try to post a pic up because i just got my digital camera working and i put headlights on my ae86 with out leds i used tiny ligth bulbs because they are smaller and brighter ok well i post some pics later

Admin
      Participant

I use and recommend Tamyia X-19 “Smoke” spraypaint. It’s desigmed for “tinting” the windows of 1/10 and 1/8 scale shells, nut works just fine on Bit Char-G bodies.

Will set you back around AUD8.00/USD4.50 a can. One can will do a couple of hundred cars!

Cheers

Derek

Admin
      Participant

hey! try this at home! stick ur controller antanna all along the side of ur keyboard and press the buttons on ur controller…..if you do it right and u turn up ur speakers really loud u’ll hear this weird beeping sound! its really (lame) but weird! hahaha…or maybe its just my computer……

avoid the noid
      Participant

hahha yeah whe ni play gigs some times i use a tv remote for effects….. if i put the controller up to my pick ups itll make a wierd “space” like sound van halen used to do these things

Admin
      Participant

Something that should also work is thined down acrylic paint, either air brushed in a couple of coats or brushed on in a couple of coats onto the inside of the windows.

i like paint brush and use acrylic wash paint that you get from minitures stores like ‘games workshop’

but their pretty expensive, you should be able to get the same stuff from most hobby shops.

Admin
      Participant

use grey scotch tape,get it at office supply stores….

Admin
      Participant

I got this stuff made for blacking out car tail lights. It’s a spray can called auto shades. It worked pretty well. I’ve also used smoke x-19 on regular sizedr/c carslike derek. It also worked well. Just spray it on the inside of the shell and you’re done.

I would not recomend using tint film as it attracts static electricity and you could shock your car’s electronics. Also, it probably won’t stick toplastic very well and won’t look very good from the outside. Just a guess???

I haven’t tried the magic marker trick, I think I might try that next time.

Admin
      Participant

The best way I know to do it would be with a “Magic Wash” which is made from Future Floor Wax (thinned 1:3 with water) and some black ink.

The Magic Wash dries shiney, even, and rock hard (though it takes some time).

You can achieve a similar result with thinned acrylic (like Tamiya) paints and a drying retarder (sometimes called paint extender).

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.