Tom s Supra 2004, mr02 RM -> MM conversion….

Home Forums Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods and other Mini-Scale Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods – Discussion Tom s Supra 2004, mr02 RM -> MM conversion….

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Like everyone else, I m getting sick of the serious lack of mr02-MM bodies available. I bought a Tom s Supra 2004 autoscale and thought I d hack it onto my mr02-MM chassis. It took a bit of sanding but in the end I m quite happy with the conversion….

Current specs:

mr02 MM setup:
      stock frontend, kingpins sanded down…
      bearings, all round.
      gandini racing foams, 8mm front & 11.5mm rear.
      atomic MM motor mount with modified damper mount
      atomic motor can, stock kyosho armature, plasma dash magnets, burnt in for 50 minutes in forward….
      kyosho oil damper, spring removed.
      thin Cf h-plate
      GPM mr02 ball diff.
      sanyo 800mah aaa s (japan)

So far she s still stock in the motor dept. Inside on my polished wooden flooarboards this chassis owns….

🙂

ph2t.

Participant

is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the MM chassis is a longer wheelbase than it’s RM brother by about 5-6mm? Got the SLR AMG Merc ASC the other day, and like the Enzo its kinda long… might have to do this mod to fit it. Nice job though ph2t:approve:

Participant

dave, you’re correct, the longest RM is still shorter than the MM.

you putting that SLR on a MM chassis? I’m keen to hear how it handles.

the mclaren F1 shell (which I got in this MM RTR) is a great shell for racing, sits low and doesn’t detract from the handling.

The supra is good too. So far it is handling well inside. The real test is outside, but I’m waiting for my concrete to dry after a day and a half of continous bloody rain!!! arghhh!!!!

here’s some closer shots of the rear wheel wells, sorry about the bluryness.

ph2t.

Participant

nicely done ph2t!

Participant

just a followup on this thread….

I finally got a chance to take the mr02 down to templestowe for the day.

WOW!

It was running a nelly and a very fast plasma/atomic motor and it handled great!

Just the oil shock and thin h-plate was all it needed. So much for roll shocks and the like, looks like they might be overkill…

Anyways, the dampening effect of the oil shock (without spring) is amazing. I can’t stress enough how this single addition changed the way the chassis behaved….

Also, the MM motor mount really helps with high speeds. It’s hard to explain, but when the chassis would hit a disturbance the car would act like an arrow and naturally dampen itself, staying forward. The RM motor mount would normall spin out in this situation…..

I have a question though. I recently scored (like, today!) some ATOMIC damper oil that is meant to be the thick one (1000 grade ???). I’m currently using the 300 grade I got with the oil shock.

My question is what will happen to the shocks dampening characteristic when running a harder oil? Is a harder oil more advantageous when running at higher speeds?

Any feedback would be appreciated…

cheers,

ph2t.

Participant

When looking for Info on 1:10th for my Maxx I was directed to this page for info.
      http://users.pandora.be/elvo/
      It has some good info on how oil behaves.

For the size of the shock and “valve” on a Miniz hard oil will lock up on initial impact quite a lot. This will almost make it behave like you have no suspension whatsoever. Have a read and draw your own conclusion, but I’d say really heavy oil on a Z would be a bad thing.

Participant

Amazing stuff as usual, ph2t…

About the thin H-plate: With the MM mount, does the H plate show any signs of cracking, splintering or breaking?

And, how does the springless oil shock contribute to the handling? Wouldn’t it be almost the same as removing it?

Participant

i can field this one.

re the hplates, so far ph2t’s yet to break one. i’d say this is due to the brilliant handling of the mr02 chassis, less crashes means less breakages.:smiley2:

after i got rid of my mro1/waver i realized i had the wrong idea about the rear end. i used every kind of spring and shock setup i could and was never happy with it. then it hit me, the h plate is all the spring you need. i figured a wide h plate would have all the movement and spring needed to keep the rear on the ground. with an oil shock mounted this will give me all the damping required to tame the pogo effect.
      i wouldn’t shut up about it and ph2t decided to give it a try!:D and the results are excellent. so don’t bother wasting money on roll shocks and all that other junk, get a set of cf h plates and a kyosho oil damper and you’re done!:smiley2::8ball:

Participant

im going to give these new pn roll shock mounts a go without a topshock , they look like you can get a nice angle on both sides so i wont need the topshock…

im hearing you though betty, id love to own an oil filled one. they would have to work better than the spring on its own…

Participant

you can afford the oilshock if you forget about buying rollshocks and springs:smiley2: seriously, 1 set of hplates and 1 oilshock is all you need:8ball:

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.