TOMY fiasco??

Home Forums General Chat TOMY fiasco??

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      PandaBear
      Participant

hmm? what’s this, is it Tomy banning sales on eBay?

barto_85
      Participant

thats what i guessed it was too, but i’m not sure. Maybe he got a private word from tomy.

TeamBonzer
      Participant

PandaBear, what are you looking at that suggest Tomy are getting heavy?

Cheers

TeamBonzer

barto_85
      Participant

bithed mentioned it earlier today, its three posts down on this thread:
      http://www.ausmicro.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1360&FORUM_ID=1&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=Panic+Toys+Steps+Up%21&Forum_Title=GENERAL+CHAT

Now everyone just wants to clarify what he meant by that.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Ancient history guys.
      Its the reason BitChar-g sellers dropped of off all of a sudden on ebay about 6 months ago.
      Alot got stern warnings of copyright infringement penalties and stopped selling.
      I believe Bithed was caught up in this too, when ebay and paypal supported Tomys cause and stopped transactions of BCG sales.
      Seens to have died down a bit now though, and many sellers ahve returned to ebay as well.
      :)uA

BilboFOL
      Participant

Probably because if they really sued someone they would lose big time. Tomy/Hobbico doesn’t like international Tomy cars in the US because it hurts their sales. If they would sell all the cars all over the world at the same time for the same price they wouldn’t have people undercutting them on eBay.

Keymaster

Plenty of those sellers were selling a mix of “Clones” and genuine as well – or worst still selling “clones” as the real thing.

I can understand why Tomy cracked down….

It ain’t nice but hey what else can be done against dodgey marketing…

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

VooDooMafia
      Participant
      Quote:
      Plenty of those sellers were selling a mix of “Clones” and genuine as well – or worst still selling “clones” as the real thing.

I can understand why Tomy cracked down….

It ain’t nice but hey what else can be done against dodgey marketing…

A.

Well it comes doen to alot of things and I can see both sides.

Its just like how sony will release a game for PS@ on NTSC-J but not NTSC.

But with the internet now the laws are very grey. IMO I do not agree with what the major companies are doing.

If you offer it for sale and it not available in another contry then its now a collectible.

You dont see companies trying to stop the sales of vintage toys/games/records or any other product.

if nothing else this will help there over all sales as more people will be drawn to the product that normally would not know about it.

Poop its not like tomy has offered most of those sets in other contries anyway.

Well I could go on all day but I am sure you understande what I am saying 🙂

Cheers from canada 🙂

bithed
      Participant

…That is correct…I recieved an email from TOMY’s (SUE ME ?) AMERICAN based lawyers saying basically…

QUOTE: “…sale in the United States of these
      particular products is an infringement of TOMY’s intellectual property rights.”

“The unauthorized importation, for sale, of
      Japanese products bearing both the TOMY? and CHAR-G? trademarks is a violation
      of TOMY’s rights.”

“TOMY will continue to monitor eBay for sales of illegally imported and
      counterfeit products. Additionally, we are working with the U.S. Customs
      Service to identify and stop those persons and firms responsible for such
      illegal importation of TOMY products.”

…and the nail in the coffin as far as i was concerned…

“The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has in the past encouraged TOMY to
      take necessary steps to take products such as these off the U.S. market. Your
      continued sale of such illegally imported products could potentially cause a
      legal nightmare for you as the seller.” END QUOTE.

I complained though that i was not IMPORTING but I was EXPORTING…I was not based in America so it had no bearing on me…But it all fell on deaf ears…I guess if i had more balls and a REAL lawyer I could have figured out a way around it but i did NOT want any further hassles with TOMY so I walked away from ebay altogether…

As a result of TOMY cancelling my auction Ebay perked their ears up as did Paypal and my account was unfortunately temporarily frozen…What was worse was that it had ALL my funds for 150+ Super Bit Char-Gs tied up in it so i couldnt pay my dealers who were VERY upset and then threatened to pass on my orders to other clients of theirs…All this was happening late friday night in the middle of a rain storm 🙂 Oh what fun…

It all got sorted out and paypal and ebay is back to normal for me…

BTW the cancelled auction was for a NUR with a Calsonic freebie…This was later sold privately to England…

Company-wise TOMY isnt fantastic…better than KONAMI to deal with but they still need someone with international brains…and they have this funny habit of agreeing to contact you and they never do…

If sellers are coming back to ebay thats great but I wouldnt be surprised if TOMY locks down again…Have to wait and see 🙂

…BitHed has spoken…

micro_Amps
      Participant

I’ve been looking through ebay fairly regularly over the last 3 or 4 months, and it almost seems cyclical, sellers start to build up for a few weeks, then it drops by half, then it builds up over a few weeks again, then drops, and so on.
      I wonder whether Tomy is sending a round of emails once a month to keep things at bay?
      :)uA

bithed
      Participant

..So maybe I should jump back in again while the timing is right ? Micro amps you have WAY too much free time baby 🙂

If all i get is warnings every month then i can cope with that…If they decide to sue mw then that would really take all the fun out of it…Decisions decisions…

bithed
      Participant

..So maybe I should jump back in again while the timing is right ? Micro amps you have WAY too much free time baby 🙂

If all i get is warnings every month then i can cope with that…If they decide to sue mw then that would really take all the fun out of it…Decisions decisions…

ph2t
      Participant

You should graph that micro so bithed knows when the push to the kiddies!

bithed
      Participant

…OHH ph2t you put it like that it sounds so nasty 👿 But if you need it we will cater to ANY addiction 🙂

Personally nicotine and caffeine make my bells ring 🙂

VooDooMafia
      Participant

Now was this only on ebay in oz? cause I notice that there is alot of stuff on ebay.com

Also if you really want to sell the stuff on ebay just mention in your description that its part of a personal collection and that will get you around any crap that tomy tried to toss your way. 👿

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.