totaled overland

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      z-beam
      Participant

the other day i thought id take the hummer for a walk and was having fun cruising along and saw a skate park made out of sheets of steel. woot!

it took a bit of practice but in no time the beast was climbing all the way to the top of the ramps and turning around for the decent.

all was fun untill i collided with a section of the ramp that had been corroded where it was bolted in the ground. the full force went straight into the servo case by passing the hummer shell completely.

the screw that holds the front suspension plate was ripped out and lost. plus one of the shock mounts at the front got snapped as well. ouch!

if you are going to punish your overland like i do, you should seriously consider some sort of undergaurd that attatches to the body not the chassis.

betty.k
      Participant

oooo, dat sounds nasty! there’s a great concrete street course/bowl right near me but i’ve been scared to take anything there. mainly because of those huge jumps followed by concrete landings. i spose i could avoid them but then there’s no point in turning up if i’m not gunna thrash it!dead.gif8ball.gif

mini-g
      Participant

hahaha…. funny that, was at dgs’s place last week and was jumping the OL, ended up breaking the front end where it joins the top links, so have to replace the whole servo case/front end. and that was from only doing little jumps but there was a couple of hard hits to the front endsad.gif

dgs73
      Participant

you guys are just waaay too hard on your OLs… still waiting for something suspension mount related to give way… have just swapped to H2 Hummer (longest wheelbase)so damage is ensured, if not desiredblackeye.giftongue.gif

peteWah
      Participant

I have found two hairline cracks in the same mounting points on both sides where the Balls screw in for those front control arms that Big Dave is talking about, 1 big jump and its all over i say….

I have had to replace the rear pod for the same thing so onward to metal me thinks, who cares if it gets scratched up
      because i will be able to dish out the punishment more so…

i have broken shock stays also, got to love those invisible hairline cracks… What’s next :huh:

dgs73
      Participant

Pete; be prepared for a little fine tuning with a dremel, those alloy gearbox cases can (not will)need some slight (i said slight!!) modding to fit… bugger alloy dude. The cash you spend can see you in plastic spares long before you’re motor carks it due to the extrastress. So;extra weight = extra load = stressed motor = stressed peteWah…tongue.gif

peteWah
      Participant

If i beef up the electronics and motor it would be able to handle the extra load im thinking…
      1 can only test but i do get your drift on that…:smiley2:

z-beam
      Participant

reinforce the hairline fractures right now with some good superglue. i mixed a little grit from the road (couldnt wait to keep on thrashing!) into the wet glue and it holds up really well.

when i get a chance ill unpack everything and have a go repairing it all… like dave said, bugger forking out for alloy, ill get another ol for the same price as getting enough to make a difference! and im saving for an awd. so the OL’s going to get fixed by me or stay broken.

and by the way,ive been using a pn speedy neo magnet motor in the ol. powers it sweet.

Keymaster

Ahhh so it was a good call on the NM idea? *grins* Sometimes I have to get it right 🙂

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

z-beam
      Participant

oh hell yes Aaron, im eternally greatfull of that sugestion of yours! perfectly suited to the ovelander. im imagining the NM motor will perfectly suit the AWD chassis as well *evil grin*

have you checked if any of the other NM’s have a ballbearing case?

Keymaster

I haven’t looked at the newest stock but should seeing as I have 5 of them stitting about now.

Going to try one in the Monsters soon 🙂 Should be tougher than the X-Speed 🙂

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.