Totally Devestated……

Home Forums General Chat Totally Devestated……

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

For years I’ve read peoples stories on forums about their computer “crashing” and them loosing all their data. Whenever I read it I kept thinking. “You schmucks why don’t you backup stuff?” Especially when they’re the coding guru behind some huge open source project… Surely you’d back that sh!te up right?

Well this morning folks, guess what….

This morning at about 6:45am while I’m doing my usual stunt of eating a bowl of Cornflakes reading the nights spam the Primary Harddisk in my home PC went down and it’s not coming back. On it was e-mail (backed up for the most part), and just about every shred of ausmicro.com data for v3.0 of the site, all the artworks and logos, all the stock pictures for the store and ofcourse the matching data for our other sites.

So now I’m left with moving house (starting today), no broadband in the new place until we can afford to get it reconnected, no pc (but I’m sure Kitty will let me use hers a little) and a dead disk drive containing some of the most important data I have. So there goes more $$ when I have it not only to replaces the drive (woohoo $100-150 more to pull from my backside) but to learn my lesson right and set up a proper backup regime that is idiot (ie me) proof (probably a few hundred $$ in software and hardware…*grumble*)…

Once the move is over in a week or so I guess I’ll start with the plan of fixing the PC before the broadband etc but it could be quite some tiem before work on ausmicro.com site redevelopment moves ahead at any speed.

Many apologies for the seemingly endless array of delays.

And right about now all I can say is. Backing up is good, real good, and don’t ever tell yourself that “I’ve got of the core data on that CD… whent he core data is like 6 months out of date…)

A. < Lesson Learnt!

--
      Site Owner Guy.

bithed
      Participant

…When it rains it pours maye…i have been there 🙁 My MAIN concern is the cornflakes…I hope they are ok…

betty.k
      Participant

aww crap!!:sad: there’s no sound worse than the clutter and clunk of a dying hard disk!:dead::8ball:

PandaBear
      Participant

I’ve been running C: & D: drives; every now and again everything on C: gets copied to D:.

Drives, if they survive the first 2 wks, seem to crap up after about 3yrs for me. Lately I’ve been replacing them every 12 mths and keeping the used drives as offline backup.

kevsta
      Participant

Always bad when the hard disk dies aren’t they suppose to have a lifespan of 5 years ?

I usually fit multiple hard drives and use a freeware program called backup genie to schedule zipped backups on to each drive.

But this probably doesn’t cover the powersupply burning up and zapping every single device in your pc. (It’s happened to me before).

Best to back up on dvd-rw.

peteWah
      Participant

Im sorry to hear

Is there any way you can extract the info on the dead drive itself using some form of first aid program…

We back up with retrospect using a DDS tape system

Good luck with it…blackeye::smiley2:

z-beam
      Participant

:shock::evil::evil::sad:

thats got to be annoying!

if it is any consolation, im content with what we have here Aaron. when it comes to the upgrading side of things, get yourself sorted out and happy before putting any more time & cash into the site. you deserve that at the very least!

once again, thanks again for keeping this site alive and well. she might be a little under the weather at times but we all should love her unconditionly for what it is… ausmicro rules!

peteWah
      Participant

Here Here :):p:approve::smiley2:

dgs73
      Participant

worship.gifyeah, what he sez!!!worship.gif

pimpsmurf
      Participant

That really sucks. Too bad your not in louisianna, USA. Some people in New Orleans run a data center that does data recovery, and they were trading data recovery services over the internet (apparently, thier pipeline was *FAR* below ground) for supplies.

Have you thought about getting the information recovered? It’s possible they can take the tray out and get some or all of the info back.

Best of luck,

-JNY

peteWah
      Participant

This happened in Feb this year pimp, ,and as you can see we are all still here unhurt from the blunder… :smiley2:

Onward to V4 and beyond, Aus Rocks

Admin
      Participant

Man that sucks, but you know what they say…

‘What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger.’

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.