TRACK HELP SOS – Update

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

I desingned a track, and started out with plywoood as a base and apinted it gray. Then on to the styrofoam, i drew the barrieers out that i would use on top of the plywood, but its impossible to cut! Its extremely messy and i am using a small blade, it is a very tough styrofoam and has a smooth compressed surface. What should i use to cut it? 🙁 🙁

Admin
      Participant

Hey Kevan!

Welcome to the forums. I encountered the same nightmare with my first foam cutting exercise. My workaround was a 32TPI (Teeth per inch) hacksaw blade.

However, having seen my messy results, other members on ausmicro.com advised that there is actually a product called a “Hot Wire Foam Cutter” available (about USD10.00). It cuts though the stuff like the proverbial hot knife through butter!

Cheers

Derek

(Fellow foam-cutting victim)

Admin
      Participant

Or you could use a jigsaw with the finest blade you have. Thtat’s what i plan to make my track out with once i get started on it. Dave

Admin
      Participant

Thnx, even tho i dont have a jigsaw ill ask me neighbors 🙂

Admin
      Participant

I don’t have the verbage done yet. But here is the promised photo catalog of the Foam Cutter. Complete with a diagram of physical dimensions.

http://www.angelfire.com/art/floydspalace/micro/cutter.htm

I post a small movie(in short order)of it in action…

-Floyd

Krayzie
      Participant

heh i’d probably be better off spending $10 and buying one instead of attempting to make one

Admin
      Participant

I want one, dammit! :smiley2:

Good news for people in Australia! Someone from Dymocks (the bookstore) was reading this thread and has emailed me. Apparently their big George Street (Sydney) store (the one with all of the art/craft stuff next door to Grace Bros) has hot wire polystyrene cutters in stock. Price is AUD26.90ea (approx USD13.00)and it can cut foam up to 4 inches thick

Yippeeeee!

Cheers

Derek

Admin
      Participant

*drools*

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.