Track Ideas for Foam Tiles…

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      icebreaka
      Participant

Hey everyone,

While looking on how to build my foam tile track, I came across this:

http://ripper7racing.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5397

It uses a track width of 1.5 tiles which makes the track perfect for mini-z’s!

Take a look 😀

kevsta
      Participant

I’m finding with the one tile track width that it’s a touch too small for me. I know everyone’s going to say ‘learn to drive’, but I don’t like driving half throttle with a stock motor. I think a track width of two tiles would be ideal. I’m thinking of turning the track upside down and making wider track barriers….

kevsta
      Participant

I’m finding with the one tile track width that it’s a touch too small for me. I know everyone’s going to say ‘learn to drive’, but I don’t like driving half throttle with a stock motor. I think a track width of two tiles would be ideal. I’m thinking of turning the track upside down and making wider track barriers….

peteWah
      Participant

Funny, Where do you think i got the original idear from when it came to building the other stuff, Now he is making his lanes wider by half a matt ?

Learn to drive Kev… LOL

peteWah
      Participant

Funny, Where do you think i got the original idear from when it came to building the other stuff, Now he is making his lanes wider by half a matt ?

Learn to drive Kev… LOL

icebreaka
      Participant
      kevsta wrote:
      I’m thinking of turning the track upside down and making wider track barriers….

Oh good idea… so for now while I only have 12 tiles, I’ll get my track started on the rough side as 1 tile width.. Then when I finally get at least 12 more tiles, I’ll rip it all up, turn them over and start my 1.5 tile width track 😀

icebreaka
      Participant

Also, before I start making my barriers, I’ve heard that using cut up strips of foam tiles aren’t high enough and that the cars can still get over them… Is this true? And if so what is the work around?

Still haven’t fully decided what I’ll be using for my barriers, gonna look in bunnings tomorrow for the price of their 90 degree angle plastic bars…

Either that or cut up strips of foam…

peteWah
      Participant

Why not come and have a go on the track at Dave’s some time…

What we did on the original track was bad because Yes the foam edges were easy to clear on impact, There are pics on the original thread with the revised matts which are now using a coloured mat from clarke for the edges and it works fine…

peteWah
      Participant

Learn To Drive Kev…

z-beam
      Participant
      peteWah wrote:
      Learn To Drive Kev…

its ok, lern2drive…

kevsta
      Participant

Hey icebreaka, I don’t like the foam strips as barriers because as soon as the car touches them it holds them up and you need to reverse to get out of the situation. You can’t ride a track barrier with the car…

l2d

icebreaka
      Participant

Ok I finished my track.. It’s just a small L made up of 12 tiles.. and I used strips of foam as barriers.. Kevsta ur right, when the car hits the barrier, it gets caught up.. Hmm thinking of a workaround otherwise I’ll just have to work harder on my driving skills…

z-beam
      Participant
      kevsta wrote:
      Hey icebreaka, I don’t like the foam strips as barriers because as soon as the car touches them it holds them up and you need to reverse to get out of the situation. You can’t ride a track barrier with the car…

l2d

har! i really hope your being sarcastic! riding the rails was the most craptastic way to get around my bcg tracks… and also the best way to ruin paint jobs and drain the battery fast…

betty.k
      Participant
      icebreaka wrote:
      when the car hits the barrier, it gets caught up.. Hmm thinking of a workaround

try masking tape, it’s slick enough.
      contrary to popular belief garden hose is slick enough for you to ride the walls and still forgiving in a top speed head on:topstuff: :8ball:

Dogbreath Racing
      Participant

Using foam fatigue mats for a track is a viable alternative to the overpriced RCP tracks and you CAN get some very nice results for a fraction of the cost.

We started out by buying enough foam mats to completely cover our track area (12ftX16Ft or apporx 48 tiles) Then we took the loose edge that came with the tiles (each tile had a short piece attached to give a square edge) and turned those upright to form the outter wall (these are high enough to prevent a car from going over Most of the time) The are taped in place using white duct tape, we also covered the whole wall with the white duct tape to aid in prventing the car from snagging on them.

Next we bought a bunch of 3/4 inch pipe insulation foam (the round stuff that slides over pipes), these are cut in half length-wise to form half rounds and are coated with white duct tape also.

The pipe sections are the bent and formed into the interior walls of the track. The neat thing here is that you can vary the track width and create compound curves (both of which you CAN’T do with RCP)

The track is now ready for use, the white rails really let you see them and better judge your line, the cars don’t snag nearly as bad as on a RCP track, and you can easily change your lay-out to fit your needs.

We are about $150.00 USD in this track as opposed to $400.00+ for a RCP track the same size.

dcao71639pn.jpg

TallduDe
      Participant

alsome track there btw!

as for barriers it depends also on what type of body you have. with my lambo mercilago shell it doesnt go over barriers when i hit a barrier going forwards, but if i was to hit a barrier going backwards it will go over it(dont ask how you hit a barrier going backwards it just does with my skill levels!)

but i agree about having barriers that catch you it makes you a better driver, it rewards clean drivers plus it makes for interesting racing, you could be in the lead but blow it by clipping a wall!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.