Track Progress update

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      M_Coupe
      Participant

Work has made this project proceed very slowly, (that and my Lancer distraction), but although it’s still miles from completion, I have successfully run test laps throught the terrain today and it’s coming along quite well. I’m still using a two board setup and the biggest hold up was connecting some bridges back and forth. I killed off a lot of ideas along the way due to major difficulties, but it’s looking like it will be successful.

This track should look a LOT more realistic than my last. The pits will most likely return, I’m hoping for a pit wall with garages in the back. The overpass is dead, but we DO have HILLS!!! Lowered Bits BEWARE!!!

I’m basically done with the ground work. I just need to smooth the track out, paint and setup the barriers, but I’ve got some good ideas for all of them that have popped up along the way. I’m very excited, but don’t expect anything too soon.

SurfmyStrat
      Participant

post some pics when u can

barto_85
      Participant

excellent, sounds really good, can’t wait to see it, and your new lancer going around it.

M_Coupe
      Participant

I’ll try to throw up at least one picture of where I’m at this weekend.

M_Coupe
      Participant

It is all “plaster white” at the moment, so I’m not exactly sure how the pics will come out.

barto_85
      Participant

ohh well, give it a try anyway.

M_Coupe
      Participant

I decided to wait on the pictures, because I’ve made HUGE steps towards getting the track completed. It’s painted for the most part, and has half of the barriers up. I’m thinking at MOST, it’ll be done towards the end of the month. It should be totally drivable next week though. The rest will just be detail.

Racer9
      Participant

Cool!:)

barto_85
      Participant

excellent, can’t wait to see it.

ph2t
      Participant

M, what surface are you using for the track? Do you then paint this surface? If so how does it affect the cars handling?

Thanks mate,

ph2t.

Edited by – ph2t on 06 July 2003 19:58:47

M_Coupe
      Participant

My origional track was on a hard wood type deal, almost like particle board but better. On this track it’s a plaster surface. It’s pretty textured, but I’m going for a WRC style course anyway, so I didn’t want it too smooth, but I did do some sanding. And finally I throw a few coats of Spray Paint. This doesn’t change the way the cars handle on the course and it’s important for the overall look.

One of the coolest things I noticed with my old track was how Dust affected the cars… after letting the track sit, it built up a layer of dust. They cars would do a few laps and then require a pit stop because dust buildup caused slippage. I thought it was a cool simulation of tire wear! 😀

If you are planning on building a track with hills, be sure to test the cars to ensure they can climb them… this was a major setback early on in my production, and caused HUGE changes in the design.

DaveF
      Participant

Have you got any shots of it yet? I’d love to see the work in progress. Sounds great.

M_Coupe
      Participant

I’m throwing up a quick shot of the progress. The walls on one side are, for the most part, complete. (Can you see in the picture that the walls are raised?)

The hills don’t look too impressive in this shot either, but I only had the room for one picture, so that’s it for now. You may also see the two trees are without leaves at this point (there will be 14 total trees when I’m done

If you look REAL close, you can see the first posted picture of my Lancer project. Detailed pictures will be appearing soon in the R.C. Mod Contest, but try to look at the differance in position of the Lancer vs the Impreza.

ph2t
      Participant

Thanks for the info M.

ph2t.

M_Coupe
      Participant

pic_5.jpg

M_Coupe
      Participant

What do you think so far?

ph2t
      Participant

Very nice! You’ll have to get some video done of the track in action!

ph2t.

barto_85
      Participant

looks really good, how is it to drive on?

M_Coupe
      Participant

I’ll have to find a way to get video

It’s awesome to drive on. With a 2.2 and boost, there are sections you CANNOT climb without the turbo button. 1.0 is fine the whole way because of the extra torque. The last turn on the technical side is actually a little too agressive. The cars actually bottom out on the hill if you take it wrong. I love it, because the your speed usually carries you through, but you can get thrown off course.

The walls, although beautiful to look at, have a rubber like plastic coating, that causes the cars to stick if you hit them. But… the track is wider than my last, and you’re not supposed to be on the wall anyway.

All in all… so far, I’m VERY happy with the overall result.

I’ll try to get a gallery dedicated to the track, so I can get some low pictures showing a better view of the actual terrain. It looks VERY flat in the pic compared to real life!

DaveF
      Participant

Sounds like the hill on my track. With a fresh set of batteries in the controller a warmed up 1.0 motor can make it up, but after a few runs it’s best with a 2.2 and a booster. look forward to seeing your track in action.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.