Trucks In The Sand

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion Trucks In The Sand

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Star Guitar
      Participant

Hay do you guys run ur trucks through sand and on beaches and stuff? Is there any special cleaning involved after you run it on the beach and do you have to water/sand proof any electronics beforehand?

Post what you know about Beach Driving and if you have any pics post them since cars on the beach look cool when they flick sand up.

Keymaster

All I can tell you is that you should make sure you gearboxes are SEALED before hand 😉 It helps if you known the radio gear is pretty much waterproof 😉

I drowned the Baja an few weeks agao and suspect I’ve fried the Receiver and the ESC…. No very cool at all ….

Other than that I’d say stick to firmer sand than the softer stuff and have fun… on the soft stuff don’t turn too hard becuase it’ll dig in flip and roll at any sort of speed 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Star Guitar
      Participant

lol how do u successfully seal a gearbox ive never tryed sealing it before and with the radio gear is it sufficient to get a balloon and put the reciever into that?

Would gettin a receiver cover and a piece of plastic and put the reciever onto the plastic and then get the receiver box and place it on top of the plastic and get blue tac and blue tac the cover onto the plastic then get the heavy duty double sided tape and place that underneath the piece of plastic and place it onto the chassis?

Accually that sounds like it might just work….

Nismospeed
      Participant

well you lost me about the reciever and the plastic:p
      as long as you dont go through the water its fine….it helps to rubber stuff(like a ballon) over the esc and reciever…..but cation…the esc might get warmer than normal…..
      ive ran a TA03 with rally block tyres along the firm the sand, and is a blast to drive….clean after a day at the beach though..have to strip everthing if you want to get all the sand out…lol…….
      cheers
      dan

Star Guitar
      Participant

lol maybe re-read what i said about the reciever and the cover a couple of times to get it….

Keymaster

Balloon works great on radio gear – for ESC you may need somethign ‘better’ with airflow.

Seal gearboxes with a small amount of silicon smeared over joins etc – not perfect but good enough to block 99% of sand.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Nismospeed
      Participant

oh yeah i get it…..took a while..lol
      yes ballons work great….i put a small plastic container with some holes cut out(small ones) to put the esc in….it work all good..no sand got in……i had a good few hours of fun till i hit a bump in the sand….didnt look big from where i was…..oh well….
      cheers
      dan

Star Guitar
      Participant

what about nitro trucks? (im gettin a savage .21 or .25 for xmas and we r goin down the coast) what do you have to sand/water proof on them to be able to use them on the beach and is there more or less after run maintenence for a nitro on the beach to an electric?

i surpose a nitro truck would be a lot more fun on the beach since it does go faster and is more noisy which is also good to annoy old people with hehe…

have u guys ever gotten ur trucks/buggies and driven it up to sumones face and stopped it on its side and sprayed sand at them??

hehe so many possibilities

KingRX7
      Participant

sand=sandpaper BE SURE TO CLEAN YOUR TRUCK NICELY AND MAKE SURE THERE IS NO SAND LEFT ON IT. it will act like sand paper and your gears and stuff will quickly deteriorate

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Aaron, i HOPE you vigourously cleaned your ESC in clean water afterwards???? One of my school teachers worked in the merchant NAVY, and they retrieved some electronic gear from a sunken ship. After cleaning it in clean pure H2O, it worked like a charm.

I do prefer electric cause i love the sound of an electric motor working hard (and not too noisily). My plasma dash sounds just like my kyosho 14T motor, that high pitched “Turbo” whine.

I think you will get a few complaints at the beach with a glow R/C…..and besides i’d prefer to go swimming/Surfing….and i am always on the lookout, cause im a surf life saver.

PandaBear
      Participant

Sand is murder for ballbearings; not the big gritty stuff that you can see, but the fine powder sand that gets in everywhere.

Last time we went to a beach, we preferred to reinstall bushings where they were exposed. (Rubber-sealed bearings kept out most of the dirt, but still some fine powder got thru.)

Aircompressor is very handy for cleaning the car afterwards… wish I had one! 🙂

Star Guitar
      Participant

i think i will just run it at the golf course next to the units that we r gonna stay at since thats where i was gonna run it on the beach, but i cant haul a air compressor down to the coast.

ill stick with grass and annoying old people golfers :evil::D

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.