ultraCOOL… (for geeks?)

Home Forums General Chat ultraCOOL… (for geeks?)

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      PandaBear
      Participant

hey hey… ever have those feelings of “just gotta get one”.

Thought this was cute:-

led-binclock.jpg
      (its a clock that reads in binary)

oh yeah!!
      ledbadge.gif
      (name badge… with scrolling LEDs)

Until I saw this…

plusdeck2.jpg

oh boy oh boy oh boy…!!! :p:p:p

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Man i never understood binary!!

Dont tell me thats a fuggen tape deck?? I threw all my tapes away!!

That name badge could be fun in the workplace.

z-beam
      Participant

a tape deck for a pc, thats soo retro.

and as for the clock can you read it panda?

PandaBear
      Participant

01: 0001
      02: 0010
      03: 0011
      04: 0100
      05: 0101
      06: 0110
      07: 0111
      08: 1000
      09: 1001
      10: 1010
      11: 1011
      12: 1100

no idea how the LEDs are aligned; supposedly 3 lots of numbers H:M:S.

Probably groups of 6/7/7 LEDs able to read max of 24:60:60 that’s all I can imagine.

Admin
      Participant

Give you a hint… blue clock reads 10:48:36, red one reads 12:26:16.

“Super geek, super geek, he’s super geeky, yow….”

Edited by – Incredible_Serious on 18 June 2004 17:24:20

Super Max Power
      Participant

I like the tape deck – I have tape holders built into the center console of my BMW (e30 318is), right behind the parking break. I went and found all my tapes so I could fill the holders ? with the deck I could dub all the ?good? tapes and listen to them on computer also.

Super Max Power
      Participant

What about an LP for the computer?

z-beam
      Participant

smp, i just got given a red 318.1 (1998) from my mum. cant wait to get the beast up here

thanks for the binary lesson panda and (welcome) incredibly serious!

i can make sense of the dots now! do the make a 24 hour time one?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I don’t have the patience to read that clock!!! 5 minutes, a pen and paper to tell the time lol.

merc-blue
      Participant

lol yeh i got this nifty thing called a watch its real compact adn easy to read i can even strap it to my wrist with a incorporated strap.. lol… nah u want geeky cool check out green lasers.. me n a mate are gonna get some.. lol and even better are heavy water tanks… asll they are is a tank of heavy water with bubbles… BUT ITS HEAVY WATER

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      smp, i just got given a red 318.1 (1998) from my mum. cant wait to get the beast up here

nice score!! that’ll be a E36, a much better body than E30.
      Very solid car without much unusual problems and a basic 318i will
      have less electronics than bigger cars to bugger up with old age.

Eurovox headunit isn’t too bad, just needs decent speakers. 😀

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I scored the skyline in my Avatar (for free!!!!), and the other day was given a silver 1983 Bluebird by my sister…….dunno wtf to do with it!

Super Max Power
      Participant
      Quote:

You must have rocks in your head panda – the e30 platform is a modern classic. Light weight, nimble and affordable. Any true BMW enthusiast knows the e36 was a step back in development of the brand, everything was made cheaper and more throwaway. Enough of the soapbox.:angry:

z-beam
      Participant

throwaway indeed, the sunroof and window winders are busted as well as the front dashboard neeing some serious replacements. i dont think i’ll go the way of getting bmw replacements tho, i”l try to find some other bits that’ll fit. and cover the dash in a james squires beer mat!

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      You must have rocks in your head panda – the e30 platform is a modern classic. Light weight, nimble and affordable. Any true BMW enthusiast knows the e36 was a step back in development of the brand, everything was made cheaper and more throwaway. Enough of the soapbox.:angry:

Nah, I like some Beamers too and I think 1992 E36 makes the grade. They are a heavier shell (more of a cruiser) than the 10y older E30 but I think they’ll survive age better… all the E30s I’ve been in lately are getting rather creaky & wobbly. :smiley2:

More impressively are their larger cars… love affair started when I had to punt a E28 728i waaaay faster than a limo should go – and wow, you’d never believe how well it hangs on. The Fives are great too, even the E34… but the bigger cars are annoyingly complicated with little fiddly things that can go wrong.

Try move an S or E-class too quick and forget it – Think Diana. :dead:

imho I think BM went downhill when the Z3 (ugh!) came out. Someone threw me the keys to a first-batch 1.9 and it was horrid – underpowered, overtyred and build quality wasn’t that flash.

As for the recent Bangle bungles… :shock::dead:

Still have a softspot for E30s though, especially the ones with the raised bootlids!! 🙂

Autotech%20BMW%20M3%2001.jpg

But yeah, most examples of the cooking models are getting towards their 20th birthday. Fixing them will be a big headache & wallet-pain for newbies, but they’re pretty straightforward & simple if you know your way around. Parts never cheap though.

merc-blue
      Participant

hey panda what is that / i want to get a mid range tamiya chassis with that shell.. is that the M3 (old one not the new) i love that car
      specialy with the dished rims…. oh yeah

PandaBear
      Participant

The Tamiya M3 shell is nearly 10 yrs old now & a highly collectible item – they change hands today for crazy prices. Wing, grille & mirrors are ABS plastic and there’s real chrome cups behind the headlights – can put bulbs in them.

That shell was painted for display only, never ever run. Its just sitting on an old TA03, one of our retired race chassis. TA03s were a very good car for its time and still a very interesting design but a little outclassed today.

The “AutoTech” M3 variant is rarer than the others too… Tamiya didn’t ever make a full kit of that car, it was only available as a bodyparts set.

Have a look under the side mirror too… top name is “R Ratzenberger”. Name mean anything to anyone?

(hint… exactly 10 yrs ago, Senna wasn’t the only fatality at Imola)

Admin
      Participant

Hey Willy… can I have my M3 back now??? lol…

I guess I’m not the only one looking forward to the M3 shell re-release… want to do a Motul tarmac rally one if I can…

Yeah, Roland the Rat… amazing that you never hear of people remembering his death…

Alex

z-beam
      Participant
      Quote:
      Quote:

Eurovox headunit isn’t too bad, just needs decent speakers. 😀

new stereo eh? i could definatly agree to that! thanx for the heads up panda!

btw, you had a go with your f40 sbcg yet?:)

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      btw, you had a go with your f40 sbcg yet?:)

nope, last touched when we wanted to know its freq. :p

(hmm… I got that for xmas 2003 didn’t I? brother gave be a Garfield for b’day 2004, so must have been xmas 2003. getting old, everything’s getting too hazy…)

I did end up running a Tamiya F40 at the track earlier this yr though. Interesting handling with 15yo sponge tyres.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      I guess I’m not the only one looking forward to the M3 shell re-release… want to do a Motul tarmac rally one if I can…

58323 Schnitzer BMW M3 Sport Evo is a TT-01 and its the common Snchitzel one… not Rat’s AutoTech hehehe.

Strange… Tamiya don’t seem to be releasing a spares bodyset for it. Don’t think they’ve released a spares bodyset of the Guilia Alfa either (earlier re-released on M04M).

So if you want one you’ll have to buy a TT-01 kit. 👿

Which, from sounds of it, won’t be arriving in Oz?
      Ditto M04M.

Admin
      Participant

Um…….. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

merc-blue
      Participant

lol. hows a TT-01 go on track… in a stock 540 race.. somthing that limits mods tons.. or do people just race stock losi XXX and stock x-rays and stock mission2s…. and the TT-01 would get owned?

z-beam
      Participant
      Quote:
      Interesting handling with 15yo sponge tyres.

was there anything left of them by the end of the race?

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      was there anything left of them by the end of the race?

I only ran a pack or 2 thru it that day, just out of curiousity more than anything. The LeMans/GrpC cars come std with a SportTuned motor so that’s what it ran, on original kit stock tyres. Performance is only so-so… 2WD RWD is a handful to drive, -kept up with the Minis but definitely need to slow down for corners- not something you’d try for a newbie.

Then again, same motor & gearing in a 4WD TC wasn’t much faster either. Just heaps easier to handle.

z-beam
      Participant

got the car up from newcastle today, turns out it is an e30, but its all nicely tuned and no rattles to be heard of…

its idling a bit hard though…. to many revs.

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.