Under Car Glow

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      LILNismo
      Participant

G’day all

On my way to bed, i stepped on a digital watch, somehow the light went on and gave a really nice blue glow on the floor.

Is it possible to transfer that light system on the bottem of the car somewhere, appon having a quick look, it seems that it would fit length and width wise, however, i’m not sure about hight.

Before i go about destorying a perfectly usless watch, i thought i should consult on this.

leonli17
      Participant

Technically I think it’s possible. But why not just use the rectangular LEDs instead of destroy a watch.

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

I am pretty sure the material that produces the glow is EL sheet. I’m not sure how easy it is to transfer from a watch to a car tho, but it can be bought on its own.

LILNismo
      Participant

Well, i’ll get to work on it today and tell you how it go’s.

leonli: i don’t want to use rectangular LED’s cause that would be mainstream, and we don’t want that do we 🙂

LILNismo
      Participant

UPDATE:

I attempted to get to work on it but i couldn’t open the back of it. This was very FRUSTRATING. i could not find a screw driver that was like .5mm wide. in the end it pissed me off so much i drove over it. IT DIDN’T EVEN GET CLOSE TO OPENNING. the light sill works but now the screen only works on the seconds section, due to a large crack on the otherside.

…….and it’s still not open

leonli17
      Participant

Tough watch. Even after u drove over it part of the screen still works?:smiley2:
      Then u shouldn’t drove over it.:smiley2:

DaveF
      Participant

Take it to a Jewlers, and ask them to just take the back off for you. They should do it for free if they aren’t money grabbing bastards.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Why kill a watch to do this.
      Once you open it, you will find exactly the same as what you can buy anyway, tiny bright leds.
      No mystery there, just a dead watch.
      :)uA

DaveF
      Participant

He said he stepped on it, and also drove over it. The watch is a write off anyway. Sounds like it wasn’t exactly a rolex to start with anyway.

trash
      Participant

lilnismo it sounds like what you want is simple surface mount LED’s that you can get from jaycar, farnell, RS, wes, oatley electronics, even dick smith or any mobile phone shop. They tiny and don’t draw too much power. (20mA each).

I have some electroluminecient panels that I bought in Hong Kong. They sound like just the thing your looking for. $3 each.
      All ELS’s require about 100 volts AC to drive them and only a tiny amount of current.
      A simple switchmode boost circuit works well.

97012395xhTluA_ph.jpg

Oatley eletronics used to sell them a few years ago, might care to give them a buzz see if they still have any in stock.

LILNismo
      Participant

Thanks guys, i might have to have a look at some of those surface mount led’s. and yeah it wasn’t a rolex it was some crapy 20 buck k-mart watch which i’ve since i was about 8. Now the only watch i have is my Casio, which the light is really non-glowing. pretty ironic considering it cost about tem times as much. Though is was awfully fun driving over a watch, i reccomend it to all people with problems with anger.

leonli17
      Participant

And whoever doesn’t have a licence but eager to drive over something.:D

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.