Upcoming Site Changes: Q & A

Home Forums General Chat Upcoming Site Changes: Q & A

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Hi All,
      Some advance warning of things that will be happening over the next few weeks as we approach our Second Birthday.

There are several improvements to the code currently being implemented and tested on our Development site. You have already seen parts of these infiltrate into the running site in the form of the Avatar Upload capability and bug fixes to the Gallery System.

The timing for the remaining changes isn’t quite as clear however I anticipate everything being in place by Mid May.

What’s Coming?

[*]Subscription Support – As discussed over the last three months we have support for Donors, Subscribers and Sponsors as well as ‘regular’ users[*]New Gallery System – Members will all have the option to create and manage their own personal Gallery on http://members.ausmicro.com. The system is tied into the Control Panel and offers enhanced features and a much easier administration than the current system [*]Attachments to posts – You will be able to “Attach” a file or picture to any post you make on the Forums. The file/picture will be uploaded from your computer onto our server and linked into your post. Images and Documents can be attached, with smaller images being displayed in-line with the post and ‘linked’ to the full size versions. [/list]

These are the key new features, please bear in mind that some aspects of these features will be dependant on your Support level, Subscribers will get larger galleries etc

In addition to all this I am rolling out another minor code update to the site.

So will the site look the same?
        Yes, For now our look and feel will remain the same, I’ve focussed our development time into the new features (coded from scratch) and will most of the new code fragments are complete it is very time consuming embedding them into the site.

When are new Smilies coming?
        Soon! Like most of you I’m keen to get some fresh new smilies built into the site. However at the moment each smilie needs to be coded in by hand and clearing that’s a lot of hard work. Instead I’d like to build a new smilie manager for the site. It’s in the pile of things to do!

Can we get some New Avatars?
        Yes! Over the next few weeks I hope to start updating the Avatar collection to include completely cleaned up versions of the Current Avatars and a number of new ones.

There you have it folks, the technical side of how things will change here in the coming weeks and months. The administrative side of things will be formulated through discussion of the Admin team (Derek and Myself) and the Moderating Team (KittyKatSmack, Micro_Amps, Pandabear)

The changes will involve small lumps of downtime, I will post notice and where possible estimated times until return.

Aaron
        The ausmicro.com Management Team

--
      Site Owner Guy.

barto_85
      Participant

sounds great aaron.

betty.k
      Participant

yeah, do what you gotta do man, it’ll all be worth it.:D the ability to upload pics to posts will be great for tutorials that have disappearing technical pics. i just hope no one abuses the privilege:8ball:

z-beam
      Participant

it will be great to have small thumbnail sized pics in posts, thanx guys!

twizm
      Participant

any chance of getting a customisable color scheme happening?

maybe as a subscriber feature?

KittyKatSmack
      Participant

Hi again everyone,

I am very happy to say we are working diligently on the new code, and it has some purty features that I’m sure you will all love.

I have finally finished my own move, which happened just after the move of ausmicro.com to the new server, and now can put all the focus onto ausmicro.com that it deserves 😀

Look out everyone, I’m here to stay!!

Keymaster
      Quote:
      it will be great to have small thumbnail sized pics in posts, thanx guys!

Done. You will be able to attach a pic, pdf, doc or the like to any post. If it’s an image you’ll get to see a smallish thumbnail in the post. The feature is NOT going to be avilable in the “Quick Reply” area, only in the “Reply to Topic” area.

If it’s offensive the moderating team has controls to lock the post. Notice that teh attachment exists will still be placed there, so everyone will know the user was being a tool.

Quote:
      any chance of getting a customisable color scheme happening?

maybe as a subscriber feature?

You do know right now you can select from a couple of diferent colour schemes? OK they’re not the greatest, but I’m hoping a change in the base code (it’s becoming more CSS friendly) will let us give a wider array of changes in the presets. As it is this is something I’m tasking towards the direction of Kitty as she’s more up with CSS stuff, and probably can devote more time to building colour combos than I can.

Now as of about this time yesterday I managed to finally get the file attachment stuff done. Plus finish the Member Support mods. This leaves the gallery system to go, it’s probably the biggest task but in many ways the most rewarding for us all.

I can’t think of much else to add at the moment, so if you Members have any ideas please post them here. They may not happen immediately but anything that’s doable stands a good chance of happening…

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

TallduDe
      Participant

so now we have subscriber support things open now Aaron?

Keymaster

Only part of it – just doing some live testing of part of the code and demo’ing some bits for everyone….

The May 1st Day will see us go down for a few hours to bring all the features we’ve been working on live… At that point we’ll be open for subscritions etc etc..

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Impreza
      Participant

Wow looks like everyone has been busy. Still lacking any free time but would like more info on levels of site support A. Sorry haven’t had a chance lately to keep current on all the posts:( If you could pm me that would be great if not just point me in the right direction:) Hoping to have more time to enjoy the cars again in May or June:( Until then, back to the old grindstone.

Nice to see KKS back posting:)

Jowlz
      Participant

will it be “american friendly”? most of us are dumb:evil:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Only if the americans are aussie friendly lol.

Keymaster

It will essentially look and feel the same – and quite a few things will be even more friendly than they are at the moment 😉

*grins*

Thanks to everyone who’s pm’d supporting the changes. It’s nice to know that a good number of you are keen to put your faith in the Team to deliver the changes!

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.