Venues etc etc ra ra ra ra

Viewing 67 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Ok,

i see alot of you all bitching about places to race etc, as of yet, dgs73 is the only one who has organised you all to get down to meadowbank. the fact that you all come down and play at meadowbank is laudable, it s fantastic to have a similarly thinking bunch of people together enjoying their toys!!!
      HOWEVER!
      as meadowbank seems to be a world of trouble, as in, kids on bikes, dumass forkers running mayhem, we should have several alternative places to go, when either the weather goes all pear shaped or when we ve had enough of defending our little section from nefarious little anklebiting shits etc blah blah blah…
      i know that you all have spoken about this before, but you guys suck ass at making a decision or even following thru on suggestions.
      the time has come for you all to pull your finger out and look about your areas, local schools, tennis courts etc or bowling greens even…
      i did do a scout out to some squash courts, but with the power with which our cars are running, this isn t feasible as the cars spin out too much, well, mine did last night @ macarthur squash courts /shrug
      what about some of us approaching some scout halls? you know, dib dib, dob dob? we could ask the leaders if they wouldnt mind us using them, however, from being in several scout halls recently, i ve noticed that a majority of them have polished hardwood floors which makes it nigh to impossible to get solid traction, so strike scout halls from your list…im bascically thinking of a decent place to race in any weather conditions without fear of having our valuable cars damaged by on-lookers etc…
      speak up and suggest you worthless sons of goats!!

novin

p.s. no offence intended, intent is to DRIVE you into action you braindead poons~

Edited by – novin on 20 July 2004 15:25:19

Participant

yeh halls would be good (so should squash courts) if you use good tyres (as soft and grippy as possible)

Participant

No offence taken brudda,

The only other location with the same surface is a bunch of 12 netball courts down in Miranda. But that’s 35 minutes drive from where I am and even still I don’t know if they’re available to the public. Does the nsw netball association have the right to tell us to leave the courts at meadowbank – seeing that they paid to have them re-surfaced ? I think they do.

Jumping over fences to get on to school grounds to use their tennis courts eg. Newington, is not my cup of tea. Want to get caught for trespassing – don’t think I could run for it when the courts are all fenced off with only one gate ?

Which one of you has a tennis court in your back yard ?

I looked at hiring local council halls – anyone got a spare $550 ? – we could get an rcp track shipped to australia for that price.

Who lives in a modern apartment with access to the rooftop or car park below with a smooth surface ?

Basically if you search local council web sites for your area, they should have the local parks and what facilities they have in each of them. But the surface will be smooth asphalt – although smooth, will contain sandy bits. Even then, you got to hope that no one is using the netball/basketball court at the park…

I’ve looked all around my area, and still look when on the casual drive – so far nothing beats meadow banks surface and wide area, I thinks we just have to take a corner there so that we can see which kids are approaching and to terrorise them.

BTW last Saturday Talldude had a little helper that want to pass tools from his toolbox to him. That little helper later ran over a Tamiya tl01 1/10 with a bike. The owner was pretty pissed.

Participant

ive got a surface in my backyard, smooth smooth concrete,onlu problem it has a bit of concrete mix on the surface. besides thats its smooth, i’ll post a pic of it on my members gallery :D. its good just needs to be bigger.
      dun think we’re gonna be payin for a hall, well theres one at fairfield for 70 bucks and hour is any1 really wants to consider it.

Participant

an rcp track might be my final choice I think… who wants to go parts? I decided this as I will not pay $70 for an hour of racing… actually, when you consider that 1/3 of that time will be setting up for the surface, I would rather spend $500 on a portable track. That way it can be dragged wherever we go, or in case of bad weather, could be set up indoors… 🙂

Participant

oh, and cheers Novin, but all I did was let people know of a group of racers that meet every now and then… did not expect to see as many people involved as there is…:approve:

Participant

this rcp thing, how big is it? not when it’s laid out, but when it’s all packed up and ready to be transported to wherever we want to go? like, would it fit into the back of a normal sedan car? or a ute type thing perhaps?
      or would we be needing a wagon?

novin

Participant

Try local factories – on weekends often there’s empty car parks, if you can find a concrete one that should do nicely as for the track, you could put down tape to mark the track (as long as you remove it, and are willing to spend the money) you could use garden hose, (might have to tape it in place, but could do the job nicely particularly if you’re willing to cut some shorter lengths. Or there might be other better solutions others can suggest. If you’re using an unused car park you might want to block the entrance with one of your own cars (with a note telling people why and that if asked you’ll happily move it)

I don’t know the exact legalities of using those shared concrete car parks, but as a out dor venue it might do the job.

Participant

It would fit in the boot of your wrx with no problems. They are like play tiles which can be joined together.

I don’t think many of us would chip in to get one though because then there are issues with who gets to keep it, who owns it, who can afford to chip in and what happens when someone leaves the hobby etc..

If someone were to buy one outright and perhaps charge a $5 fee for people to race on it for the day. Then that would mean say 6 people x $5 = $30 x 24 (gatherings assume fortnightly) would come to $720 a year give or take… which should cover the initial costs of purchasing the track… From then you could decide whether to keep on charging to get funds for expansion tracks or stick with the existing track.

Just a thought.

Or we can each buy our own and be done with it.

Participant

how much are they? and where can you get them from?

im tempted to put the money down depends on my bank balance and if i dont have to eat that week! LOL

btw tennis corts would be great i know of some in carrs park which are good ill go there tomorrow to see them if there any good

Participant

If you’re talking about the interlocking rubber squares with guard rails take a look at clarks rubber I think they sell the mats, then you just need to make and attach your own rails, If it’s the same stuff it might be cheaper than buying a complete one.

edit: typo fix

Edited by – kitsune on 20 July 2004 20:58:29

Participant

yeah i could make a mini z track……..

Participant

I’ve had a few visits to Clark Rubber. Those interlocking mats are $9.90 each, when you add up how many that you need, plus making the track barriers and curves etc.. you’d be better off with the rcp.

The surface of the rcp tracks has been designed specifically for rc car traction and now they’re being sold by kyosho http://www.kyosho.co.jp

I wonder how much shipping cost for one of these babies. If we all got one and joined it all together then we’d have a decent track.

🙂

Participant

found this site

http://www.finititrax.com/TrackSets.htm

79 us for a good size track but i dont know how much shipping is :question:

but it looks all good to me, imagine if 3 or 5 of us had this track set up it would cover a whole netball court!!!!!!!! sweeeeet :smiley16:

Participant
      Quote:
      I’ve had a few visits to Clark Rubber. Those interlocking mats are $9.90 each, when you add up how many that you need, plus making the track barriers and curves etc.. you’d be better off with the rcp.

The surface of the rcp tracks has been designed specifically for rc car traction and now they’re being sold by kyosho http://www.kyosho.co.jp

I wonder how much shipping cost for one of these babies. If we all got one and joined it all together then we’d have a decent track.

🙂

i’m with you on this one Kevsta… it would be a cheaper way to do it… and i’m well keen to part with a hundred or so for this purpose. Problem is , we need 3 or 4 like-minded people…:smiley2:

Participant

TD, good web site. If we buy one of those VS-40 (8 ft by 6 ft) $80 USD tracks “each” we could simply join them at the meet and have a decent track. At the end of the day, simply disassemble and take your part of the track home. RCP track Wide-L $200 USD (9ft by 12ft). Prices not including shipping. This looks to be more on the expensive side, although somewhat larger.

Say if you bought two VS-40’s it would still work out cheaper at $160 USD with (16ft x 12ft ?) driving surface.

Oh, forgot to mention track width, 2ft for vs-40, 3ft for rcp ??? Is 2ft track widths adequate ?

Hmm.. something to think about.

Edited by – kevsta on 21 July 2004 10:34:04

Participant

I’d go more with three odd foot… two is just a bit too tight. Sounds like enough, but 3 – 4ft. would be better. Im all for getting the full size rcp track b.m.s., as tax time is upon us and I wont be limited by the number of people showing up (3 people = not much of a track if we get it in bits). That way I can set it up at home, work, wherever. Justifying my expenses again…:sad:

Participant
      Quote:
      TD, good web site. If we buy one of those VS-40 (8 ft by 6 ft) $80 USD tracks “each” we could simply join them at the meet and have a decent track. At the end of the day, simply disassemble and take your part of the track home. RCP track Wide-L $200 USD (9ft by 12ft).

Say if you bought two VS-40’s it would still work out cheaper at $160 USD with (16ft x 12ft ?) driving surface.

Ahh 8ft x 6ft x 2 = 8ft x 12ft
      almost as big as the RCP 9ft x 12ft
      but as you say you can then split it between two people

Participant

at this point it’s just talk, but how many would be SERIOUS about this little venture? As I said, I am well keen. A couple of extra people would be good, but we need to nut this out first. I’ll talk to those of you that’re keen this weekend. Can these two track types be mix’n matched, so to speak?:question:

Participant

Looking at the two track types, it’s probably better to go with the rcp track. The quality of the track barriers appears to look like it can withstand some heavy impacts being urethane rather than the foamy stuff.

http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/products/accessories/accessories/others/others-e.html

I think shipping is going to be a killer – is there a kyosho distributor close by ?

🙂

Participant

i’ll look into that this afternoon… I know of one that might be, but I dont like the thought of how much their mark-up will be…:evil:

Participant

Would bithed be able to get a price for you ?

Participant

For all you melb fellas that want a good venue, i know there is a factory on Levensdale road that have mini Z tracks setup. ill find the address for u guys

Participant

we’ll “talk” on sunday about a track order possibilities guys.

no luck with the tennis courts in my area no way they let you take off the net in the middle, appearently they only like tennis courts to be used as tennis courts only, the bastards!

Participant

I know a friend that races his 1/10 car in Eastern Creek’s netball court, apparently that court is pretty big probably bigger than Meadowbank~ Someone check it out and see if its any good:smiley2::smiley2:

Participant

hey guys..

i dunno if this is the right material, but i found some of those tiles on ebay.. might wana take a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44079&item=5507744007&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V

Catch yahs later

Participant

to be honest, there IS an on-road indoor carpet track in St Ives showground, where regular Tamiya and Kyosho touring car electric 1/10’s go. Last i heard it was a fortnightly thing, the track is purported to also run mini-z’s, although it’s not too popular there.

St Ives is deep within the northshore area and there are no currant train stations there. They also race off road in the field outside. It’s quite far for those who live in the southern suberbs.

There are 2 asphalt tennis courts in Killara, 6 in Regimental Park (Killara too), 2 at Lindfield station, 1 opposite the mandarin centre in Chatswood. As far as i know, i’ve got the tennis courts around Lindfield-Killara-Roseville-Chatswood down cold. Their surfaces are not dissimilar from those in Meadow Bank; the folk generally stay away unless it’s the afternoon.

There is a local scout hall in Lindfield, but it’s also used to store equipment. There is not much room for racing Z’s. In the city, on top of Darling Harbour carpark, there is a vast, mostly unused level with flat concrete. I used to race there, it was superb.

On the subject of RCP, i’d chip in, if only the final track would be big enough to be challenging and cool. The shipping expenses are hell tho. Kyosho is distributed in AU by….crap, can’t remember their name, but they’re NOT helpful. cheers.

Participant
      Quote:
      I know a friend that races his 1/10 car in Eastern Creek’s netball court, apparently that court is pretty big probably bigger than Meadowbank~ Someone check it out and see if its any good:smiley2::smiley2:

that’s one hell of a treck Tim… it would want to be much bigger for that effort.
      Me and a couple of the boys had a chat about this last night, and concluded that it’d be cheaper in the long run to buy the track outright, rather than build one.
      Geo; interesting. Not popular? They have not had enough people show up, me thinks. If our mad group of ten were to show, it might bring people around. “Snives” is pretty easy to get to, buses and all that jazz. (guess who does’nt drive eh?:smiley2:) Looks like our options are increasing… And I would not bother grabbing one of these tracks if it was only going to be a small thing… a challenge is necessary.
      Kev; as soon as I can get hold of Bithed, I will look into it. He is away at the mo, as you guys may or may not know… As soon as he returns our questions hopefully will be answered…:)

Participant

I don’t think I can chip in for an RCP track. I ran it past the wife last night, and she said that I have already bought all the materials for a track in the garage 🙁 (as you can see in my picture gallery). But I would be more than happy to pay to play if someone bought one.

Oh btw. Kyosho is distributed in Australia by Dawn Trading.

Participant

im interested in that place geo is talkin about, could you give us more info geo man?

yeah it is cheaper to buy tracks dependin how much it is worth to ship it over here, if shipping was like 30-50 bucks US i would think about it, but it would leave a hole in my pcket for a while.

Participant

you going this weekend Geo? We have to get some information from you…:smiley2: Usual question here, I guess; who’s in this weekend?

Participant

Oh yeah, is this weekend on a sunday or sat? BTW here’s link to St Ives’s RC club

http://www.zip.com.au/~dazb/stivesrc.html

Click on the indoor on-road section….the classes list a ‘2wd mini’ somewhere, but I heard they are mostly into 1/10’s like V2’s and stuff. There is a dirt track too but they use it for nitro trucks…..indoor sessions are held every 1st and 3rd friday of the month, at night. There’s an entrance fee and god knows what else we gotta pay bfore racing there :question:

Participant

Sunday I guess… I can be there either day but Sunday is preferable…:smiley16:

Participant

i thought 2wd mini was tamiya minis?

Participant
      Quote:

I think that refers to the scale of the r/c, not the model of the r/c itself… gonna find out a more accurate price of those carpet tracks soon too…

Participant
      Quote:

I think that refers to the scale of the r/c, not the model of the r/c itself… gonna find out a more accurate price of those carpet tracks soon too…

Participant

I think it would be good if we compiled a list of all the places in Sydney/Melbourne that you can take a mini-z for a thrash be it a park, netball court, car park, etc.. as this is the most faq 🙂

Participant

I think it would be good if we compiled a list of all the places in Sydney/Melbourne that you can take a mini-z for a thrash be it a park, netball court, car park, etc.. as this is the most faq 🙂

Participant

starting with Homebush… more flat smooth areas there than you can poke a Z at… we gotta check that place out doods…

Participant

starting with Homebush… more flat smooth areas there than you can poke a Z at… we gotta check that place out doods…

Participant

and dont forget about the r/c club up in Eastwood on Friday evenings… they do have a micro class but I think only as small as 1/18 scale. would’nt mind having a chat with the organisers

Participant

and dont forget about the r/c club up in Eastwood on Friday evenings… they do have a micro class but I think only as small as 1/18 scale. would’nt mind having a chat with the organisers

Participant

Yes, have to check out homebush way one day – it’s not too far from meadowbank either…

I checked out the car parks that Geo-z mentioned at darling harbour, walked up a stair well to get to the top level, (that stairwell smelt like piss and vomite combined, broken beer bottles everywhere – I was makin sure that there weren’t any used syringes lying around). Anyway – I get to the top level, couldn’t find anywhere to run a z because there’s now a hotel on top of the car park.

oh well…

Participant

Yes, have to check out homebush way one day – it’s not too far from meadowbank either…

I checked out the car parks that Geo-z mentioned at darling harbour, walked up a stair well to get to the top level, (that stairwell smelt like piss and vomite combined, broken beer bottles everywhere – I was makin sure that there weren’t any used syringes lying around). Anyway – I get to the top level, couldn’t find anywhere to run a z because there’s now a hotel on top of the car park.

oh well…

Participant

now that’s a bugger. And you’re right; it’s only about 10 minsutes by car to Homebush…

Participant

now that’s a bugger. And you’re right; it’s only about 10 minsutes by car to Homebush…

Participant

kevsta, did u go to the one that was bside the monorail at the convention center? Cos that’s the one i’m talkin about.

🙂

Participant

kevsta, did u go to the one that was bside the monorail at the convention center? Cos that’s the one i’m talkin about.

🙂

Participant

Geo,

That’s the one I went to, you get there by going to level 3 of darling harbour shops and walking across the short pedestrian bridge to get to the car park. There are actually two hotels there now… Anyway, not to worry.

Might have to check out Homebush way…

🙂

Participant

Geo,

That’s the one I went to, you get there by going to level 3 of darling harbour shops and walking across the short pedestrian bridge to get to the car park. There are actually two hotels there now… Anyway, not to worry.

Might have to check out Homebush way…

🙂

Participant

homebush, YAY!!!!*kiddy voice* nice and close to me. 😀 Im sure a deserted ghost town like that would have zero kiddy interfernce.

Participant

homebush, YAY!!!!*kiddy voice* nice and close to me. 😀 Im sure a deserted ghost town like that would have zero kiddy interfernce.

Participant

Z scermish at hombush, I think we would all be in …:smiley2:

Participant

Z scermish at hombush, I think we would all be in …:smiley2:

Participant

that is so much a good idea… you still got ‘blades Pete? We vould skate over there in about 15 mins…:)

Participant

that is so much a good idea… you still got ‘blades Pete? We vould skate over there in about 15 mins…:)

Participant

Down the track i guess that blades could be a good option:D:D:D:D:D:D:smiley2:

Participant

Down the track i guess that blades could be a good option:D:D:D:D:D:D:smiley2:

Participant

would be cool to go to homebush there wouldnt be that many people, besides avoiding sporting days where major sports are held there wouldnt be too many peeps there.

face it who goes to homebush anyways, plus its large enuff we’re bound to get a spot somewhere!

do a “recon” of the area dave tell us how it goes :smiley16:

Participant

would be cool to go to homebush there wouldnt be that many people, besides avoiding sporting days where major sports are held there wouldnt be too many peeps there.

face it who goes to homebush anyways, plus its large enuff we’re bound to get a spot somewhere!

do a “recon” of the area dave tell us how it goes :smiley16:

Participant
      Quote:

In my youth, these things were called roller skates. I could never keep my balance on those things. I recall when I was at Centennial park one time and this guy was bladeing full speed on the road (the down hill side of the park) and stacked it right in front of me, he continued to body roll (?) for a further 10 metres and when he got up he had bleeding elbows and knees and probably other places too.

Put me off it, but then again, I never got into them.

🙂

Participant
      Quote:

In my youth, these things were called roller skates. I could never keep my balance on those things. I recall when I was at Centennial park one time and this guy was bladeing full speed on the road (the down hill side of the park) and stacked it right in front of me, he continued to body roll (?) for a further 10 metres and when he got up he had bleeding elbows and knees and probably other places too.

Put me off it, but then again, I never got into them.

🙂

Participant

yeah, I had roller skates too, but only for training purposes when I was off-ice… rollerblades (inline skates actually – Rollerblade is/was(?) a brand) I had several pairs over the years before shattering my right knee, but would not mind using them for travelling purposes, not the stuff I used to do. TD; full recon after checking the place out…

Participant

yeah, I had roller skates too, but only for training purposes when I was off-ice… rollerblades (inline skates actually – Rollerblade is/was(?) a brand) I had several pairs over the years before shattering my right knee, but would not mind using them for travelling purposes, not the stuff I used to do. TD; full recon after checking the place out…

Participant
      Quote:
      I had several pairs over the years before shattering my right knee,

Man, that would’ve hurt – hope you recovered from that. Were you into jumping and sliding on hand rails and stuff like extreme sports ?

There are two basketball courts down a prince alfred swimming pool/old cleveland st. High school down Central way. These could be used for Mini-z racing if they ain’t occupied.

Participant
      Quote:
      I had several pairs over the years before shattering my right knee,

Man, that would’ve hurt – hope you recovered from that. Were you into jumping and sliding on hand rails and stuff like extreme sports ?

There are two basketball courts down a prince alfred swimming pool/old cleveland st. High school down Central way. These could be used for Mini-z racing if they ain’t occupied.

Participant

many monns ago… but yes, very painful. Cold weather turns it into a barometer of sorts… yes, jumps and all that. No sliding but. Actually did my knee in on ice, not blades. Prince Alfred? Many years ago that used to be an ice rink, and a crap one at that. Used to be Sydney’s (Aust.’s?) only outdoor ice rink.

Participant

many monns ago… but yes, very painful. Cold weather turns it into a barometer of sorts… yes, jumps and all that. No sliding but. Actually did my knee in on ice, not blades. Prince Alfred? Many years ago that used to be an ice rink, and a crap one at that. Used to be Sydney’s (Aust.’s?) only outdoor ice rink.

Viewing 67 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.