w00t! FETs…

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Quite happy as I got off my backsdie and ordered FETs for my Mini-Z this morning. Hopefulyl they re live up to expectation 😉

Anyone got good links to any How-Tos on the install or shall I knock up a good one for ausmicro.com when they arrive?

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

VR-4
      Participant

there not that hard to install you really dont need pics.

most you can stack are 2X6 without any mods. to install them just stack them ontop of each outher and bend the metal tabs down mack shure the writeing on the fets is faceing you so you can read it. then get somthing small to hold them togher i use a alagator clip off my batt. charger. then just put a line of solder down from the top fets tab to the bottom fets tab. and do that for each line of tabs. befor you connect them to the pcb mack shure you lines of solder dont touch the outher lines you want nice straght lines that dont touch each outher.

this is the hardest part connecting them to the pcb. just take off the old fets and i put a small dot of super glue in on the bottom of the fet to hold it to the pcb so it dosent move. then with a small small tip on your soldering iron just connect all the tabs to the pcb

i have 2X12 in my car and the the stacks are ontop of my batt. holders. to use that meny fets you need to do a little cutting but you dont really need that meny the car is to fast only reason i did that was to see what the top speed of it would be.

if you want i could post a good how to on it and a how to make model car bodys fit the mini z with pics

ph2t
      Participant

Why don’t you just find better (lower Rds) performing FETS instead of stacking them…. There’s no elegance doing it this way…..

ph2t.
      (bit puritan)

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Thats what we do…the fets we get are the highest spec ones i think, so thats why we stack them…

Remember these fets do not have heatsinks so it is fairly limited as to what they can handle…again that is why we stack them.

VR-4
      Participant

thats why my fets are ontop to i got some airflow over them. i found some better fets than the fets were all useing but there not cheep about $3.50 usd a peace so i bought 6 to try out.

2 days ago when i was at a hobby shop a met a guy who hooked up a novak spy esc to his z and he sowed me how. so tomorrow after i get payed im gonna buy a spy reversabull and try it out.

but i raced him with a x speed and he had a x speed and the same gearing and he was keeping up with my 2X12 stack but could stop better and had better controle and the spy wasent even heating up.

so im gonna take pics up and post them on a site and put a link to them on the fourm so show how to hook up a micro esc.

Keymaster

*nods* I’m thinking 5 stack myself. Seen some pics online and gotta say it looks easier than chipping an xbox (which takes all of about 15 minutes).

The ‘remote FET’ idea sounds interesting too, a small circut board and a heatsink could do wonders for the longevity 🙂

I’ll only be running a stocker, but it’s more my desire to maximise all the petential in the stock engine first. Also goign to do a wiring upgrade 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

ph2t
      Participant

What are the original FETs on the PCB and what are you replacing them with? I’ll see if I can investigate this a bit for you guys….

VR-4
      Participant

3003 replaceing with 7389.

im 1/2 way done hooking up my novak spy to my z and so far it woorks. only tink is i just wish it was clear blue instead of orange or koysho sold a clear orang chassy but oh well you cant have it all. but by far this is better than the fet stack and it’s smoother throtle responce and has a nice brake.

for traction for all this power i made a longer o plate and im useing a 65 mustang mach 1 model body “the 1 with the 428cj” and i just the trunk off the inter. and glued it in and put some weight in the back and it improved traction and handleing alot

ph2t
      Participant
      Quote:
      3003 replaceing with 7389.

I could pull four numbers out of my own arse thanks. What’s the FULL product number? Does it start with IRLML ???:p

GT-ahh
      Participant

ok i am now selling irf7389 fets…
      same price as quoted before… $2.50aud each(for 10+) + postage

Edited by – GT-ahh on 18 July 2003 16:13:32

VR-4
      Participant

i got 240 irf7389 fets left i bought them in bulk 🙂

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I am thinking we might not need to use these flat DIP package fets, might be able to use a TO220 style mosfet or something…

GT-ahh
      Participant

i found when i installed fets it was easyier to do the side furtherest away from the edge one by one
      the black thing gets in the way

Keymaster

I got mine today – came in a huge box…. It’ll be a project in a couple of weeks 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

VR-4
      Participant

you can use a 220 there more than the outher fets and take up more space but i seen it done, i seen them on 4 cars and all of them had them lined up and a hole cut in the front window like a 1/10 nitro car ta keep um cool and from what im told they run alot cooler than the fets were all useing.

next time i see one of the guys with them i’ll ask them how they hooked them up and how they hold up in crashes.

GT-ahh
      Participant

they shoudl be fairly straight-forward to hook up seeing as the standard fets are just a dual package. anyone know of good T0-220s?

VR-4
      Participant

im hooking up some gold plated 220’s that are adj. payed $1.40 each at radioshack

Admin
      Participant

ok has anybody got any fets left they wanna sell ???

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.