Warhammer 40,000

Home Forums General Chat Warhammer 40,000

Viewing 45 reply threads
  • Author
      peedee
      Participant

hey does anyone collect warhammer. im lookin at getting into the hobby with a few mates (matt005) im thinkin of getting chaos space marines black legion.

i2obert
      Participant

i was actuly look at geting them till i saw the rule book its like a novel but still thinking about geting it for my lil brother

Nismospeed
      Participant

yeah ive got some…not chaos….
      me and my mate collect fantasy warhammer…and lord of the rings…..

Shypo
      Participant

I used to collect this.. very expensive hobby. stay away from it.

VR-4
      Participant

i played somthing like it called D&D and it was bad ass. i seen people playing warhammer and it looks cool but i just dontknow how ta play if someone would teach me i’ll buy a set.

shypo can you start a topic on how to play warhammer and name some good stuff?

i2obert
      Participant

man i went to thats war hammer store in chadstone melbounre sowie but the rule book alone was at lest 900 pages so for u to learn the the basic which i was shown is still hard so many dices and things and all i played with was 4 ppl in ma team

TallduDe
      Participant

i bought the starter kit a few years back with space marines and elders.

it all depends what you want to do with the kit if you spend more time painting the models you never want to play with them in fear you might damage them.

also the rule book is huge and every army has its own rule book with its own special units which cost a fortune.

it took me a while to paint all the models on my starter kit now they sit on a shelf on my bookcase, collecting dust.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Was interested in it, but its waaay too expensive for me.

VR-4
      Participant

im gonna buy a starter kit and a few outher things and then try ta play it.

1another really good game is risk. anyone play it and if so anyone wanna play online risk?

Nismospeed
      Participant

yeah it is expensive….but it is fun to play…i only the basics, but and my friend enjoy it…..
      we make our own little warband consisting of atleast 10 guys….and have a link senario

VR-4
      Participant

well i bought a starter kit and a few more things and wow they are $$ i just kicked wed thur friday in the ass for work

Nismospeed
      Participant

yeah….the starter set would have set you back $150AUS….plus paints and brushes and glue….

Shypo
      Participant

and then metal figurines, vehicles, special characters, heavy weapons and of course more troops.
      I cant start a thread on how 2 play… way to hard to explainw ithout showing. sorry people.
      depends who u collect on who and whats good. ahvent had the stuff for at least 4 years now so i may remember stuff but may not.

peedee
      Participant

im getting the eldar battle force that comes wit 20 guardians, 3 jet bikes, 1 viper jet bike, and a falcon grey tank, codex, paint etc… 200.00

Star Guitar
      Participant

i got like 8 of them lizardmen dudes cause they all look pretty cool but painting it is just too much work and it is so expensive i just gave up

the painting has to be way too detailed for it to accually look any good

Nismospeed
      Participant

depends on how you paint it…inking and simple highlighting is about all you need to kno….

Admin
      Participant

lizardmen arent even warhammer40k they are just warhammer
      btw, painting them are just part of the hobby and if u dont have time to paint them, why did u collect them in the frist place

z-beam
      Participant

i have been collecting warhammer 40k since i was 10.y.o. i’m now 21 and have a huge collection, the majority of which is unpainted.
      ultramarines(space marines) were my first force i collected and that got to a stage where i decided i needed some opposition.

so i got the new edition starter and went with the dark eldar, they are alright but the are not tough in combat, only really fast at moving. i stopped them at a decent 2000 points worth.

the tyranid’s were the next army i went with, thes things are evil and there is a lot of customisation involved including rules for “genetic engineering” of certain species. you can also feild mutants within a squad which is real fun.

and the lure of chaos has finally gripped me, firstly because i had way too many loyalist space marines (and old vehicles and tanks) and i had an imperial guard basilisk that the new rules would’t let me use this huge artilliry as allies to the ultramarines. iron warriors all the way to hell and back… they have special rules that allow them more heavy support than any other force in the game but dont use any psychic or demon models.

Edited by – z-beam on 29 August 2003 13:19:41

Admin
      Participant

have u got any necrons? or ever collected them?

Nismospeed
      Participant

oh i hat necrons….eac time i kill one i use it as scrap meatl to make anoughter tank:)

peedee
      Participant

necrons have the best lord on the best elite on the field (nightbringer) and the best heavy support (monolith) so they arent that crap

Admin
      Participant

yeah they better than stupid tau eh zack

peedee
      Participant

i dont like tau

z-beam
      Participant

if you ask me the necrons are too boring to be fun. at first the powerfull army’s are atractive but they arn’t the thing a gamer needs.

sometimes they come back rule allows fallen necrons to simply get up again, which i find increadibly cheap winning tactic.

the small numbers of a space marine force or a craftworld eldar force are what i’m talkin’ about. no easy winning with one of those.

a challenging force to win with is a victory worth celebrating. the tau have some unique units, like the xv8 and xv88 battle suits, that have supurb movement skills. not to mention the rail gun that’ll shred any monalith any day, any where… hey peedee i thought you liked mech’s

peedee
      Participant

yeah ive decided to get imperial gaurd as there are so many units and they are a good race

peedee
      Participant

yeah ive decided to get imperial gaurd as there are so many units and they are a good race

z-beam
      Participant

chunky tanks…… new cadian plastics… very temting.
      just finished painting my defiler, what a beast.

z-beam
      Participant

chunky tanks…… new cadian plastics… very temting.
      just finished painting my defiler, what a beast.

Shypo
      Participant

sold my collection 2 monhts ago… man that sizzle was heavy

z-beam
      Participant

what do ya mean shypes? the figures were weghty?
      the old figures were a lead alloy, and where pretty solid…..

peedee
      Participant

i think he means cash???

RacerX
      Participant

I’ve got a decent collection of chaos, a squad of marines that i’m covetion each model, a tiny lizard man force, 16 ‘nid gaunts, two blood bowl teams, an average size imperial gaurd force and…. three necromunda gangs, now that was a game! gang combat was so much cooler (and less expensive) I never realised how many models I had until just then oh and I’ve got a mass of orks and gretchen from when I got the warhammer 40k starter 4 or 5 years ago.

z-beam
      Participant

blood bowl was cool… i had a skaven team with two rat ogres, very fun game.

necromunda was good with it’s campaign games. my orlocks got pretty good, untill the fancy spyrers came along……….

Shypo
      Participant

Nah I mean just all the shizzle I had collected and the books and random paraphanaleia was heavy as…Lucky I didnt have to post that:p

ph2t
      Participant

Not that I understand a lot of what is being talked about here…… But my bro is into this stuff, but no to play just to paint and stuff.

Here’s some pics of some of his dudes and layout.

hammer1.jpg

hammer2.jpg

hammer3.jpg

He’s got a combo of normal warhammer and also the 40K stuff. I’ll take some closup shots of the dudes another time but some of the detail is quite mad. He’s really good at painting them and does the ink’ing and detailing that gives the little dudes great texture.

He’s also making another setup at the moment, it’s taking him ages but it’s gonna look mad when done.

ph2t.

z-beam
      Participant

nice lord of the rings scene, give ‘im a pat on the back and let him see my camo Bb….

Shypo
      Participant

I used to love the painting and modelling factor and also the building of terrain, I found that more fun than actually playing the game unless i was playing an extremely large scale game

z-beam
      Participant

4 hour battles where so much fun back in second edition rules 40k. so many damn marines and tanks, and of course my champion scouts with a lascannon……… cant use that any more….

peedee
      Participant

Why dont you just replace the 1 lascannon on 1 of the champs with 2 heavy bolters on 2 champs same points count

Nismospeed
      Participant

personally i dont collect 40k….but have gained a bit of dark elves from warhammer fantasy…
      recent purchase was a box of dark elf knight
      on special for half price…..not bad…only painted one though..
      at the moment i have
      16 warriors with spears
      16 warriors with repeater bows
      assasin
      sorceress
      malkieth on black dragon(love that model)
      darl elf noble
      and the recent purchase of knights…
      havent had a game for a while…..anyone?

z-beam
      Participant

nice idea pd. cept you can only have one heavy weapon per squad of scouts….that model shall not be meddled with. the new look scouts look so different. their sniper rifles are awesome for stopping units from doing anything(pinning tests)

peedee
      Participant

yea…not as good as those damn tau pathfinders, they have the rail rifle that is very annoying when playing a defence battle

z-beam
      Participant

pathfinders are elites i think, giving them limeted numbers
      whereas scouts are troops and i could (in theory ) have an intire army with infultration skills and sniper rifles. the assasins are also v.cool to use. esp the sniper one.

peedee
      Participant

see the fps game coming out Firewarrior so want it

z-beam
      Participant

ps2 online gaming, as well as the single player missions. space marine playable characters. looks promosing.

Nismospeed
      Participant

yes that game looks good…ive seen screen shots in the white dwarf mag…..looks really good…

Viewing 45 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.