What I confirm from yesterday s Sydney GTG

Home Forums Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods and other Mini-Scale Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods – Discussion What I confirm from yesterday s Sydney GTG

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author
      kevsta
      Participant

A few things learnt from yesterday s gtg at meadowbank. Some probably obvious to you all, but I m still learning about this hobby and every time I go to these meets I learn something new.

1. Dgs s car with Jamie s special motor are way faster than whats available on the mini-z market. My setup consisted of an xtra speed xs18-1 motor (claimed to have more torque than pn s03 and equivalent to pn s04) and a 14t team hommies steel pinion gear + whoa nelly 1.1 setup – top speed on TD s tamiya speed checker = 42-43 kmh

2. Never use RCRM soft compound tyres on alloys and the setup above (unless planning to glue them to the rim or use thin double sided tape) – the tyres came flying off on more than a few occasions. You can guess what my spur gear and alloy wheel look like after running on the ground with not tyre attached.

3. Stock wheel nuts just don t cut it. I had to form a search party for one. On another occasion, a slight tap from another car caused one of them to completely strip the thread.

4. TallDude has a non turbo/fet bb motor that craps all over the x-speed motor – made my x-speed motor look like a stocker . I m itching for one. TD what was it called again ?

5. Mounting clips on skyline i-waver shell can come off quite easily. A small rear-ender from someone elses car saw the shell come off, Thanks dgs for fixing it with some selleys super glue.

6. The tie rod can shatter from a hit to the wheel ? TD can confirm this.

7. The Benz shell is one of the stronger bodies out there.

That s it for now…

Your comments ?

😀

z-beam
      Participant

with all this speed, how often are cars rolling at the meet ups?

and do you guys mark out tracks to race around?

TallduDe
      Participant

kev is right!

ive never seen a tie rod break b4, but hey that merc shell of mine is strong :smiley2:

as for rolling i rolled once then i put my o-plate on (thanks dave) no rolling watsoever!

only dave rolled alot but…; going 57k’s and then running out of netball court and hitting grass does that!

we try to go in a clock wise motion and thats left right kev?

btw my dyno has never had a werk out like dat b4 ever lol

heres a pic of my shell after all the things it went through, still looks good :p

dgs73
      Participant

i need more room, I agree. Just pulling up takes about 10 metres… cant believe the heat your dyno was generating after those speed ckecks either. Zbeam; sometimes. We used to mark out track area, but have more fun with the sprints and such. Kev; I agree, the Merc is the strongest shell out there.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Hope its all going swell dave…

Try using selleys contact adhesive to mount the body clips, unlike CA or “super” glue, it aint brittle and wont break off in a hurry. Just add the contact adhesive to each surface, leave for about 15-20 minutes then push the togeter and clamp them some how, remember to clean and buff both surfaces.

Keymaster

I use epoxy resin to reinforce the side mounts. Seems to be pretty durable 😉

ausmicro.com has a great range of alloy wheel nuts coming in soon! Test sets have all sold

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

bithed
      Participant

…What BitHed can confirm from yesterdays racing…I need to follow you fellas around with a box of new parts and some coins to make sure that I can give you all the right change…lol..

Geo-Z
      Participant

I’ll be there next sunday. Sounds like everyone’s been breeding a speed demon while i was away! Time to see which of the mod motors is really fastest – although i cannot find my PN SO3 🙁

mocky u there? have you still got my motor and the turbo? I had a fet upgrade and the motor should be ok….

I purchased a T1 motor from taiwan, but it’s really from HK. It’s from a company called ATOMIC, and they’ve released their T2 recently (40000+rpm). the T1 is very interesting in that it uses the same motor case design as the famed Plasma DAsh from TAmiya. the brushes are very specialized.

THis motor is barely faster than my PN SO3 from memory. It cost an arm and a leg (45bucks)….I should get the PN SO4 Champion motor….i hear it’s the fastest machine wound yet.

Look forward to seeing u guys on sunday 🙂

mocky
      Participant

i dont have it geoz, passed it on to dgs to give to u, since i wont be down there for a while.

dgs73
      Participant

’tis true, turbo/motor setup at my place, been there for a while. When you coming down and actually racing Mocky? Geo; what sort of rpm does your T1 motor have, compared to the 40,000rpm(:shock:) T2? Wanna try an Atomic one of these days, but I think I wont find better for my GTR that the mighty Plasma Dash:approve: BITHED; you’re onto something there…:p

Edited by – dgs73 on 14 September 2004 09:12:57

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      I’ll be there next sunday. Sounds like everyone’s been breeding a speed demon while i was away! Time to see which of the mod motors is really fastest – although i cannot find my PN SO3 🙁

mocky u there? have you still got my motor and the turbo? I had a fet upgrade and the motor should be ok….

I purchased a T1 motor from taiwan, but it’s really from HK. It’s from a company called ATOMIC, and they’ve released their T2 recently (40000+rpm). the T1 is very interesting in that it uses the same motor case design as the famed Plasma DAsh from TAmiya. the brushes are very specialized.

THis motor is barely faster than my PN SO3 from memory. It cost an arm and a leg (45bucks)….I should get the PN SO4 Champion motor….i hear it’s the fastest machine wound yet.

Look forward to seeing u guys on sunday 🙂

Geo, Yes, it’ll be good to line them all up and see how they all go. Come to think of it, I didn’t get a chance to take on DGS’s car in an actuall drag type race.

Z-beam, I haven’t rolled my car yet. On the courts the only way you roll is either hitting another car or a big rock or getting airborne between some of the netball courts where there are water troughs.
      Oh – and we do get long blond hair caught in our ball diffs on the odd occasion.

Dgs, motors are getting better – check out the latest minizworkshop.com ones that are available. He’s got a 28T 40,000 rpm one on there now at not a bad price too.

K.

dgs73
      Participant

you missed mine on the dyno, Kev… 59k’s then the rubber came off the rims… and these are Autoscale rubber, harder grade than the usual stuff… tyres get stuck to rims this week.blackeye:

dgs73
      Participant

oh, Kev; Bithed has mentioned an awesome 60,000 rpm motor, i’ll share info when I find out more…

Geo-Z
      Participant

dgs, the atomic t1 has 39800 rpm….the t2 has the same turns but with a lighter armature….theya are highly recommended. most ppl race with them in tw.

mocky, ta mate!

bithed, show us the goods.

bithed
      Participant

…Dave that was bloody ages ago wasnt it ? Jees i suppose i had better go out and get one now…;)

Jay-Z
      Participant

man it`s getting hard to keep up with the pace!! i remember when my car was quick, & it wasn`t really that long ago. ah the joys of mini Z`s..

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:
      …Dave that was bloody ages ago wasnt it ? Jees i suppose i had better go out and get one now…;)

is it too late dood??:smiley2: Josh; Iknow what you mean, I now need 10 metres to pull up:shock:

bithed
      Participant

…NEVER too late my brotha 😀

peteWah
      Participant

NO dave you need a extra 100m+ and about 35kmh more dont you think…
      And we need gravel traps:smiley2:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I think i could whip up a 100km/h setup if you’d like dave…

peteWah
      Participant

I know i would like to see that:D:D:D:approve::smiley2:

Jay-Z
      Participant

..i`ve gotta start thinking about making my Z modern day quick. i`m going to have figure out a motor/fet/turbo combo to stay in da race:evil:

z-beam
      Participant

are you actually marking a track and racing or doing drag events?

if you are doing drag, i saw an allmighty strip (well 3 of them side by side) in between the entertainment center and the novatel century near china town.

nice to hear i’m not the only one who flips their z. and as for the hair pete i know all about that problem as well.:smiley2:

Jay-Z
      Participant

recently we`ve been using garden hose as track edging, just have to tape down a few spots & it kinda keeps it`s shape.. we do have drag races occasionally, being on the netball courts we`ve got lots of straight lines to start from & race to over a variety of distances!

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      ..i`ve gotta start thinking about making my Z modern day quick. i`m going to have figure out a motor/fet/turbo combo to stay in da race:evil:

Yeah, I was surprised that my non-fet/turbo x-speed/bb can combo was just as fast as your external turbo+x-speed setup.

Also, I don’t know why lots of ppl roll Zs – I’ve only rolled my skyline shell once and that was after hitting a decent sized pebble which made it unsettled.

Jay-Z
      Participant

yeah, there`s something about your bb can Xspeed! i`m trying to get my hands on 1 or 2 at the mo! as far as rolling goes, i think you`ve just got to get your suspention sorted.. i`ve rolled my Z heaps but usually because of pebbles, hair clips & focca!

peteWah
      Participant
      Quote:
      are you actually marking a track and racing or doing drag events?

if you are doing drag, i saw an allmighty strip (well 3 of them side by side) in between the entertainment center and the novatel century near china town.

nice to hear i’m not the only one who flips their z. and as for the hair pete i know all about that problem as well.:smiley2:

What problem with hair…

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:
      Quote:

Yeah, I was surprised that my non-fet/turbo x-speed/bb can combo was just as fast as your external turbo+x-speed setup.

Also, I don’t know why lots of ppl roll Zs – I’ve only rolled my skyline shell once and that was after hitting a decent sized pebble which made it unsettled.

the only reason my fetted chassis rolls so much is because I always seem to try to turn at too greater speed… plus that extra traction from the foam tyres helps alot…

dgs73
      Participant

What I confirmed from YESTERDAY’S GTG…
      1: A mini Z should not really be raced amongst 1/10 scale cars, no matter how fast the Z.
      2: A mini Z that does over 60k’s need alot of space to pull up. A hell of alot.
      3: Polycarbonate bodies, despite being thicker than lexan, is not very good at absorbing impact at 60k’s.
      4:Team Associated make a very sweet ride… pulls up unreal too.
      5: Mini Zs sould not be driven at top speed into the rear end of stationary 1/10’s (it pulled up sooo quick!!!)
      My gtr shell has packed it in… after two (2) runs… Blew up the whole front end. RIP Madman…
      4:

bithed
      Participant

…oh dave…thats so sad…i have the perfect beater replacement for you too ;)…will be in touch 😀

dgs73
      Participant

I feel like crying… it was my prettiest artwork effort yet… oh well, the layout’s still in the pc here at work… maybe (very likely actually)he’ll be reborn.

TallduDe
      Participant

dont worry dude

u can build it better then it was before :smiley16:

dgs73
      Participant

it’ll be the same on the outside… the chassis has already been fixed, the shell will be silver again but the logos will be black, white and gun metal, to match the inch-ups that’ll appear on it soon(ish)… As it is for the moment, i’ve just stuck all the bits back into the front, so it’llstay togother for a little longer (as long as I dont rear-end any 1/10s in the meanwhile…)

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.