What kind of battery packs are you using and why?.

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion What kind of battery packs are you using and why?.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      micro_Amps
      Participant

Let us know what you use, and how they go. There s lots of choices out there and I d like to know which you think are better.
      :)uA

betty.k
      Participant

i’m just learning myself, i started out with nicad stick packs which were great to get me going. but i bought a gp 3300 nimh pack and the power increase is huge. properly cycled a nicad can probably kick hard too, but for bashing around like i do on an irregular basis i’m sold on nimh.:8ball:

PandaBear
      Participant

I find NiMH subCs get a bit “soft” after about 20 charges… I miss 2000 nicads! 🙂

GP & Panasonic 3000 NiMHs are old hat – yesterday’s technology & not really built for RC. 3300s are the ideal ones designed for RC, Sanyo and GPs are the go.

Sanyo 3600s are available but not all that much more flash compared to 3300s.. some suspect its all a marketing ploy. 👿 Cost more too.

Nicad RC2000s otoh can take abuse that we hurl at it, plus its easier to store packs totally flat too. (NiMH should be stored partially charged & cycled once a month.)

kevsta
      Participant

I’m also learning the ropes with all these batteries.

I’ve placed an order for those g-maxx 3300 buy one get one free from rcmart for $29.95 USD.

Was also looking at gp 3300 and intellect 3300 from the usual places…

🙂

merc-blue
      Participant

i would suggest getting decent cells the untra generic ones die pretty quick get onto http://www.harrisrc.com
      there a aussie battery mathcing company they do great cells and great prices for bashing iwould recomend the dirty dozen 2 battery packs that are unmatched but will still be great for bashing they say the numbers on these cell are closer than most other unmatched packs

TallduDe
      Participant

buy 1 get 1 free??

can you provide a linky plz kev?

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      buy 1 get 1 free??

can you provide a linky plz kev?

Sure can…

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=421_52_351&products_id=9877

Well, I’m assuming the (1+1) When you place it in your cart, it goes to like 1.2 kg, so I guess I’m assuming the offer is still valid.

BTW shipping is a killer, works out to be like $33AUD per stick pack in the end.

betty.k
      Participant

that’s still cheap. let us know how those gmax perform. when batteries are that cheap i’m kinda sceptical, that’s why i chose the gp’s.:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

arrr the gmaxx cells are NOTHING compared to the GPs and sanyos.. i ran cheapo generic 3300s before my current matched sanyo 2400s and i got better performance and runtime from the 2400s because there were better cells in better packs

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      arrr the gmaxx cells are NOTHING compared to the GPs and sanyos.. i ran cheapo generic 3300s before my current matched sanyo 2400s and i got better performance and runtime from the 2400s because there were better cells in better packs

Yeah, the gmaxx will be the weekly bash around batteries.

For novice racing I’ll be getting me a couple of gp 3300s.

merc-blue
      Participant

yeah.. the other thing i would suggest is 2nd hand cells from mod racers they have TOP packs use for a month or 2 and there way better than anything we can afford they useually go for around 50-80 bux a pack depending on the dirver and the numbers (can occationaly get 30 buk packs off drivers i know well)

betty.k
      Participant

so you’ve used the gmaxx cells then rohan???

sorry to get snarky but i’m a bit tired of people giving advice on something they’ve never seen or used. i’ve done it myself and i’m trying to mend my ways:8ball:

Edited by – betty.k on 04 January 2005 23:02:03

merc-blue
      Participant

nup but ive used similar generic cells and wasnt a good experience.. sure there fine for bashing but if ya wanna race (even low divisions they drop voltage quite quick) they just wont have the output (could talk curves and voltages etc) that u need

kevsta
      Participant

Okay,

I’ve charged up my G-Maxx 3300s and GP 3300 battery sticks, and I’m sure the G-Maxx ones are better than the GP’s.

I don’t have numbers etc.. don’t know where to get them either, but my charger tells me that the G-Maxx ones charge up to 8.89 Volts whereas my GP3300s will only charge up to 8.59 Volts before hitting delta peak.

So I assume that the G-Maxx which hold the higher voltage will give more power than the GP’s ?

Run time wise with a stock tamiya silver can, I’m getting about 30 minutes of continuous running for both batteries.

dgs73
      Participant

just got into the 1/10 hobby so only got the one saddle pack floating about… 200mah nicad Sanyos… gonna grab some 3300 nimh shortly though. Should see just a slight difference…:smiley2:

merc-blue
      Participant

kev.. it depends on ur packs if teh GPs were built poorly or over changed or wat not that would explain ther lack of permormance but i can guarrente the best cells u will get are matched GP3300s

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      kev.. it depends on ur packs if teh GPs were built poorly or over changed or wat not that would explain ther lack of permormance but i can guarrente the best cells u will get are matched GP3300s

Yeah, both g-maxx3300 and gp3300 were bought from overseas brand new, unmatched and assembled in stick packs. They’re both made in China. The g-maxx ones don’t heat up as much as the gp 3300 when charged and thats with a 30mv delta peak.

I guess if you buy the unmatched already assembled in stick packs you ain’t going to get good cells, I assume all the ‘A’ grade ones have gone to the companies that match them !?

🙂

merc-blue
      Participant

yeah problly i might have to buy a set or 2 of the gmaxx to check them out

Admin
      Participant

Im running Intellct 4200mah nimh 6cell saddle packs. one matched and one not matched. Properly cycled they run really well. I have a swallow AC/DC charger. i get decent run times and thats running flat out in my Xray with a 9t motor.

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

Forum necromancy!

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.