What would make ausmicro.com Better?

Home Forums General Chat What would make ausmicro.com Better?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Since we’ve upgraded to v4.0 I’ve been asking myself the question – what woudl get ausmicro.com but “up there” in the list of great Internet destinations?

Sure there’s a lot more other sites out there now, and looking at our referrer information (that is how people click into http://www.ausmicro.com) we are known around the place, but we just seem to be lacking the constant traffic and posting we had in the early couple of years.

I think this new version is far more accessible, and much better looking (it sure as heck works better too) so now’s the time to ask what we can do.

I’ve created a poll with a few ideas, but feel free to post alternatives.

Here’s what I think are the great points of ausmicro.com

• Easy going moderation – we don’t delete or change posts unless they’re really bad spam!
      • Friendly place – we’ve avoided all the name calling and in-fighting a lot of other forums suffer from
      • The best Tech Posts – Thanks to a few members who are really into the scene and into sharing their skills we’ve become known as a great resource
      • Great People! Our members are friendly, smart and easy going – I couldn’t think of a better bunch to have on any forum!
      • Community – All along we’ve worked to make a community not a dictatorship or fan-boi group…

So that’s my thoughts and here’s some ideas on boosting things up..

--
      Site Owner Guy.

TallduDe
      Participant

i reckon competitions with some cool prizes will bring attention to this place.

plus maybe getting some flyers to hobby shops which sell mini z/iwaver stuff, i know of one hobby shop that could do it. its worth a shot.

z-beam
      Participant

the site sure is cool enough, but some competitions would be a serious incentive for us to get our modding skills out again and also to get some more outside interest here…

still got that voting system you coded Aaron?

also , regular smaller competions and a z of the week could be a great addition. no prize needed for the z of the week. maybe a prize for z of the year selected from the weekly selection…

but some more outsider interest could greatly help, along with some more tasty outsider sponsors!

sg219
      Participant

There’s only two things that I think could make this place better.

#1-Provide a GREEN skin option. :worship:

#2-Provide free parts for all members AND a GREEN skin option. :clap: & :worship:

Its runs good. It looks good. It sounds like its easy to adjust and maintain.

I’ll suggest site promotion. Assuming I caught you slippin’ and you didn’t submit the site anywhere.

I like it just the way it is…:topstuff:

BTW….From the choices given. I voted for prizes. They’re always a good motivator.

peteWah
      Participant

Some people want the world, Just go the way your going….

z-beam
      Participant

lazy buggers… well they want prizes without doing anything… oh well!

kevsta
      Participant

More articles, product reviews, tutorials should attract more people to this site.

betty.k
      Participant

hows about a nude calender:D :8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

ok, i can be serious.

we need more “getting to know you” stickies like a “members mugshot” thread.
      and stuff like “how did you find us” or at the very least an “introductions” thread. (no, not matchmaking! but now i think about it…..:D )

a serious organise is needed too. we need all the good info stickied. this place is (used to be?) the number one technical help forum.
      let’s drag back those golden threads from the maestro’s of micro gizmology like microamps, trash, ph2t, shypo, dave f, etc, etc.

there were a lot of “firsts” in the micro world that originated here, let’s remind the world that we’re the number one (english language) techo forum on the scene:topstuff: :8ball:

steelwoolghandi
      Participant
      betty.k wrote:
      hows about a nude calender:D :8ball:

I would post here more…. oh you might not want that.

I like it the way it is but I do like the contest thing I really need a Woe Nelly?? :smiley9:

Keymaster
      betty.k wrote:
      ok, i can be serious.
      we need more “getting to know you” stickies like a “members mugshot” thread.
      and stuff like “how did you find us” or at the very least an “introductions” thread. (no, not matchmaking! but now i think about it…..:D )

*nods* Since the revamp we’re very short on stickied stuff and it’s been lacking for quite some time. I certainly have no problem with it and I suspect it will take off once started…

betty.k wrote:
      a serious organise is needed too. we need all the good info stickied. this place is (used to be?) the number one technical help forum.
      let’s drag back those golden threads from the maestro’s of micro gizmology like microamps, trash, ph2t, shypo, dave f, etc, etc.

*nods* This is a huge job and not one I can do alone. I’ve got a lot of user and post cleaning still to do behind the scenes but that won’t affect the move to get soem of the great info searched back out and online.

If there’s any thread people think shoudl be stickied use the “report post/thread” function and in the comments say it’s good info 🙂

betty.k wrote:
      there were a lot of “firsts” in the micro world that originated here, let’s remind the world that we’re the number one (english language) techo forum on the scene:topstuff: :8ball:

Agreed.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

BludyYank
      Participant

The Bloody Yank is going to chime in. I hope whatever changes you make to this site do not turn it into a kindergarten playground sandbox that most all other Xmod forums have become. I became a member here because I appreciate it for what it IS. Advertising on a grand scale will invite the undesirable (kind of like baking a fruit pie and leaving it on the table to cool with the screen door open).
      It may be true that more activity is needed, but interest sometimes wanes when you run out of challenges or levels to exceed. My only suggestion would be to possibly have a competition of sorts that could inspire existing members to reactivate creativity and the casual guest browsers to join in. Something that has a bit of a technical aspect to it that could be measurable and verifiable. If I come up with anything like that myself I’ll be sure to mention it.

betty.k
      Participant

g’day bludy yank, thanks for the input!:thumbs_up:

there’s not too much worry about “flame wars” and such down here, us aussies are too lazy to get involved in a fight!:big: :8ball:

z-beam
      Participant

yarr, whatdidyou say? ill fights you MR.betty!

i like all the stickies youve added Aaron. its good to see some of the older stuff again.

but yeah, ill say it again, id love to see some more competitions.

ive got an article in the works regarding chopping up 1/24th kits to make mini z bodies as well. im just waiting on the pro photographer to have a shot at the photos before i move to the next phase. its a mitsubishi eclipse… weird choice i know but technicly its a challenge cause of its odd shape.

Keymaster

The “Stickies” are all Betty.Ks work. He’s picked up the project and really done a great job.

During the end of April and early May I’ll be compiling a lot of that info into Tech Notes linked from the Main Site. Then we’ll have one Sticky for each Forum with links to the Tech Notes AND Threads

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

betty.k
      Participant

yes, you can all blame me for the multitude of stickies, just trying to sort a few things out.;)
      at this stage the only forums yet to be sorted are the bit forums (the hard part!) but all other forums are now complete, threads are in the correct places and all the junk is on the nature strip for hard rubbish collection:D

as aaron said, stickies will turn into articles for our “tech notes” section. so rather than wade through a flood of stickiesin the forums, all the “good stuff” will be in one spot.
      by “good stuff” i mean all the important faq’s such as fet mods, electronics basics, how to’s, etc, etc.

also, if anyone has suggestions about stickies or anything that concerns the site then speak up! positive or negative, we’ll still love you!:topstuff: :8ball:

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.