Wheels on OEM’s

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Hey Guys, just a question about you people with OEM’s …

I bent one of my wheels on my bit char-g (oops) lol .. and now it just goes round and round .. i know that it is the wheel becasue i used a wheel of another of my cars and it run dead straight, so heres the question …

Do the wheels on the OEM’s fit on the bit char-g’s ??? And do they work properly.. as in make the car go straight?? I can see this as the only way to fix the problem (buy a dodgy OEM and use it for parts) … And also does anyone have any reccomendations on which OEM would be best ??

Thanks !

Admin
      Participant

Someone correct me on this if I’m wrong, but I wouldn’t recommend getting OEM Bullets for that job. The axles are OK but the gearing on almost all of the OEMs I know of is more like the gearing on Bit racers. Instead of the little black pinion you get a big white one which gives you high speed with bugger-all torque. The way the cars are made, you’re stuck with that white gearing – it’s not compatible with real Charg Es.

Unless you plan to take the wheels and gearing and transfer them over. I guess that would work. But why bother?

My recommendation, why not get the proper Bit Charg E setting kit? It comes with 3 nice straight axels with 3 gear choices and 3 spare black pinions for the motor.

Only get OEMs to muck about with or race other OEMs (or maybe in the spirit of scientific discovery Derek :smiley1:). They just don’t come close to the real thing performance or finish-wise.

You’ve obviously tried straightening it yourself?

My 2 cents.

Nick.

Admin
      Participant

Hey

Sorry i should have been more specific

Its actually the front right hand wheel that is bent

Any suggestions people ??

Admin
      Participant

Barrell, The OEM front wheels will fit the Bit-Charg. The Bit charge frontaxle is a little bit hard to get out. I think Derek posted my procedure on how to pound out the axle somewhere in the tech section. If you can’t find it let me know. DO NOT TRY TO PULL THE AXLE OUT WITH PLIERS! You will bend the wheel and maybe even bend the axle. Press the axle out from behind so you don’t damage anything and take your old wheels off. Then press out the axle on the OEM. The OEM axles come out easy because they don’t have any barbs holding them in. I recommend using the Bit Char-g axles if you haven’t bent them but you can get away with using the OEM axles on your Bit Charg if you have to. The bit axle can only press in so far but the OEM axle can press in too far as to not allow the wheel to spin freely so you may have to back it out if this happens.

DOWNSIDE TO OEM WHEELS — You may be limited to only using the tires (that’s rightAuse’s, it’s spelled tires in the US not tyres)that come with the OEM. The OEM wheels are cheaply made and the ridge around the middle of the wheel that holds the tire in place is not verry accurate, It’s rounded off instead of nice and square. They make the tires for the OEM’s with a wider groove inside so the tire will fit. If you put soft bit tires on the OEM they’ll work but the hard tires don’t. The outer edges of the tires stick up and the middle of the tire is concave. There is a fix to this if you have a drill and a dremel. Chuck the wheel in the drill sticking out half way. This is the hardest part since the wheel is small and you don’t have much to chuck on. Now have a friend hold the drill solid on the table and spin the drill. You, with a dremel and a cut off wheel, cut the middle raised ledge nice and straight up and down. Do that to both sides of the ridge and then to the top of the ledge also. Now your Bit tires should fit.

A lot of work, yes. I would probably choose to buy a new Bit Char-g and use your old one for spare parts. The only reason I did this mod was because I bent a wheel and had an OEM for partsand didn’t have a Bit for parts so desperate times called for desperate measures. :smiley2:

Sorry for the lengthy babble, hope it helps.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

Barrelll. Here’s a link to my “bit char-g grave yard” part of my web page. The wheels on this thrashed bit are OEM’s. You can see where I machined off the chrome around the wheel(it’s black plastic underneath) to square up the ridge to accept a bit tire. It’s ugly but the tire covers it up. I used a small lathe to do my mod but the drill and dremel trick works well too.

-Peter

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.