Which way do I go?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      brycevr
      Participant

Hello everyone. I’m a noob to this forum and relatively new to Min-Z
      I have been around R/C for over 30 years and have a collection of cars going back to original Schumacher 1/12 pan car (early ’80’s), a few trick nitro cars Mugen MTX’s, several top end electrics and a collection of buggies including a Mini-T and an RC18T. I’ve decided to move across into the micro cars in a bigger way as our club races 1/10th on the local indoor soccer field and I thought I might try and get some micro action happening.
      I have a Mini-Z MR-01 (a realy old one) that I’ll use as a “loaner” to give people a chance to try it out. I also have a Mini-Z F1, the only mods are a ball diff and speedy 05 (I’m going to stack some new FET’s on next week) and I just ordered a Firelap Nanoracer 2.0 as I thought that this just looked like such great value.

My questions are… (considering I shall probably have to buy several of everything)
      Do I go iwaver (from what I’ve read, NO) Firelap (they are great value) Mini-Z MR-02 or AWD. ?
      Can I still get a whoa nelly turbo? Is the Spider Black widow better (you can probably help here Aaron?) I like the 5V regulated electronics output of the Nelly.
      Are mini-z bits totally interchangeable with Firelap?
      Has anyone done brushless yet?
      What order do you upgrade
      I was thinking of…
      1. a med ball bearing motor Speedy07?
      2. Bearings all around
      3. Fluid damper
      4. Tyres (according to testing) suggestions welcome
      5. Lipo’s (I already have lipos for the 1/10 cars and the 18T and Mini-T as well as the Heli’s and planes so the lipo trip is a gimme.
      6. Ball Diff

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      I don’t want to go full house only good bang for my buck

Thanking all in anticipation.

Keymaster

A direct comparsion between the Spider and WoahNelly ranges is not that easy. The Spiders are closest to the WoahNelly EVO turbos in terms of design, while we don’t currently have a product that matches the feature sof the Nelly Deluxe with MOSFET drivers. This will change later in 2008.

As far as I’m aware ph2t has ceased building WoahNelly Turbos, however you can always drop him a PM and confirm this. The WoahNelly is a great turbo but there are some really cools things about our gear that I think give us and edge.

Starting with a good stock motor like the PN Speedy07BB is a great introduction to the increased performance without creating a missle in your loungeroom.

If core pricing is no object the AWD is just amazing, the design is excellent and is a lot of practical fun. That said the Nanoracer platform is well build and there’s not much about the MR02 platform that isn’t to be liked.

As for the overall list, bearings and PN motor will give you quick easy fun in any chassis without stressing stock electronics. I’d then suggest playing a bit with tyres and the suspension settings. Ball diffs can improve handling & predictability in the RWD chassis greatly, but in the AWD I feel they’re less of a need.

If you’re going LiPo in the long run you’re going to run into problems with the voltages controlling the MOSFETs. I would recommend at the moment getting a WoahNelly Deluxe or waiting for our Bug Turbo to come onstream with MOSFET drivers before going down the LiPo path.

Fluid dampers etc are great, but I do feel you’re going to get more tuneability out of the tyres (try some Gandini Foams – we have a new batch coming into stock real soon) before the damper type really matters.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

dgs73
      Participant

brycevr; welcome! I’ll be quick and to the point; Quality is the question here, so price is relevent, but if you’re not going to be hard on the car, any of the three will do. Though i’d suggest the AWD Z, all you really need (and even then…) is bearings, they have improved elecronics over the earlier models, and faster out of the box too. Like yourself, i too still roll a (heavily modded) 01 as well, actually kept it over the 02 i sold not long ago. As for tires, depends on surface. My Z track generally sees us using 10 – 20 degree rubber, or soft foams… what area you in? Bathurst? You might want to check out our track, more to the point the cars of us Sydney crew. 01s, 02s, AWDs, Iwavers. Setups, etc. Aaron btw is THE person to hook you up with your choice of 1/28 wheels… :smiley16: 😀

brycevr
      Participant

Thanks guys,
      Ive ordered the first bits from Aaron (as well as just getting a Nanodragon)
      I’ve also bought a Nanoracer and I was REALLY impressed. See my LiPo transmitter upgrade post. I’m going the nanoracer path as the value is too good to pass up, given that I’ll be buying 5 or 6 in the next couple of months.
      Aaron could you recommend to me what I should purchase as my First sets of rubber. I’ll be modding 2 cars and keeping 1 stock so I can quantify any differences so I’ll need at least two sets to begin with.
      The Nanogragon hotup is going to be fun as I think it will be a better car than the 18T, but that’s another project!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.