“Winter Workshopping” Competition

Home Forums General Chat “Winter Workshopping” Competition

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

With the long Australian Winter starting to break into a glorious spring it’s time to see just what has been going on behind closed doors on workbenches throughout the World.

To find the best “Winter” project we’ve built an ALL NEW Competition System. One that lets YOU the Members of ausmicro.com choose the Winner!

So step into the New Generation of Competitions and step up to “Winter Workshopping” – There can only be one winner!

Winter Workshop
      Who can enter?
      Anyone can Enter the Competition as long as they’re a member of ausmicro.com. Yes you can join the site and enter immediately!

What can I Enter?
      This Competition is open to All scales below 1/10th. It’s a competition to find the best and most creative work of modification and enhancement. In your description tell us what makes your project the best! You could enter a wild Mini-Z body, or a completely worked 1/18th chassis and body combo, the real challenge is making your peers understand the blood sweat and tears that went into the project and get them to award you the Ultimate Prize!

How do I Enter?
      Easy! Point your browser to http://www.ausmicro.com/competitions.asp
      Select the Enter link for “Winter Workshop” and fill in the form. You can Upload up to 4 pictures to support your entry.
      You can enter 4 different projects.

We host all the pictures in a specific area of the ausmicro.com website. You do not need to link them into forums anymore.

Members are welcome to discuss entries in this thread, however Entries must be made through the Competition System.

How do we vote? And can we vote more than once?
      When you VIEW the Competiton by following the link from http://www.ausmicro.com/competitions.asp you will be able to place a vote from 1-10 for each entry. Simply select your vote and then click the vote button.

You can only vote once, and your vote is logged!

Final votes will be displayed at the end of the Competition and the Winner announced here in this thread.

What do I win?
      It’s not all about the prixes is it? First you will be famous as the first winner of a Competition run through the new Compeition System.

Secondly, you will have won a Competition on one of the worlds most popular R/C sites

Thirdly! You’ll get stuff!
      The prize package will be tailored to suit the scale of entry, ie we’re not giving Bit Char-G stuff to someone who is only playing with Mini-Z!
      The package will include: Some body hardware (shell/accessories), Some Merchandise (Sponsors and ausmicro.com)

And what else? Well anything else cool we can throw at you!

Competition Closes on the 1st of October
      It’s a quick competiton and the system design means it’s up to the entrants to get the votes they need over the line!

Discussion about Entries is to be made in this thread, you can refer to your entry or individual entries but you MUST NOT display more pics of the entry in this thread.

Read these rules carefully or you will have your entry removed!

Edited by – Aaron on 31 August 2004 21:42:05

--
      Site Owner Guy.

z-beam
      Participant

whats this about only voting ONCE? do you mean per entry? or a one off vote?

Keymaster

Once per entry!

example,
      15 entries are in the comp. Each member of the website can place a single vote for each of those 15 entries.

Your ‘vote’ is actually a score from 1-10 with 10 being considered KICK-ASS top work! At the end of the comp the entry with the Highest score wins!

It just so happens I’m writing the auto-scoring code at the moment.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

z-beam
      Participant

HTTP 500 – Internal server error
      Internet Explorer

i tried to submit an entry, but i’ve been regected twice. first time my pics in total were exactly 1024 kb, the second go i got them down to 1012kb. but still no go. could you do a test run on your side of things Aaron to check everythings in order?

😯

Keymaster

Done – PM sent.

Everyone the uploading of pics is very very sensitive to your upload speed. Much more so than e-mail and stuff. I can’t reduce the sensitivity unfortunately.

If this recurs often then try smaller pics.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

z-beam
      Participant

done! the first official entry is up. go and check it out!

betty.k
      Participant

and the first official vote has been cast…. a stack of iwavers gets a 10 in my book!:p

so is anyone brewing up something special for this comp? i’m working on 2 entries, a bcg and a zzse. you know how i love alloy….:8ball:

Edited by – betty.k on 02 September 2004 03:32:16

TallduDe
      Participant

well i put my entry in, no surprises as to what i put forth!

so here’s my shameless plug! gives us a 10 peeps 😀

HACHI-RYOKU
      Participant

I’m workin on somethin. Should be done soon. I don’t expect to win against all the pro modders out there. I’m going to submit something with a body kit and custom paint with my usual electronics package. The body kit and paint style are a first for me, but I think it’s lookin good enough to be competative. It’s definitely been alot of work.

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Cars only or boats, planes etc too?

Keymaster

Cars only, unless the car flys or floats 😉

I have to draw a line on the ground somewhere 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Impreza
      Participant

Sounds like fun, may be just what I need to get off my butt and start posting again;) If I don’t enter you can at least count on my votes.

Impreza
      Participant

What happened to my pics??? do I have to sign up again Aaron?

trash
      Participant

“Cars only, unless the car flys or floats”

Lets see… do I have a Dolorian Mini-Z with a flux capacitor… the flaming tyre marks are going to look cool.

I don’t think they put out a Mini-Z version of chitty chitty bang bang >;-/

There is always the james bond car .. I’ve seen a mini-Z version of one of those ! I wonder if it can drive under water ?

peteWah
      Participant

Would be mad to see a mini z delorian do its stuff like in the movie ( its the lybians they found me , I dont know how but the found me, Run for it Trash)

betty.k
      Participant

i noticed there’s an option to vote for our own entries. do we just give ourselves a default 10?:8ball:

Keymaster

Betty.K that’s right you can vote for yourself.

I was talking to z-beam about this a couple of weeks ago and he and I surmised that some of the most interesting things about this competition structure will be how it plays out.

Becuase I haven’t built the full vote counting system yet (it’s built to tally votes 100% correctly but not prettied up) I have the options of doing some normalisation, averages means or the like. For this comp I will base on tally but the next one – well that will be driven by possibly somethign based on the experiences of this one.

I think that people who visit ausmicro.com and enter competitions are mature enough to work within the spirit of the system, and even then I have ways of detecting and preventing abuse. (which is why it took so long to build the competition system).

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

betty.k
      Participant

so do i give me a ten or leave it blank?:8ball:

TallduDe
      Participant

just give urself a 10 dude.

or a 1 if ur Conscious is not up to it.

Keymaster

Talldude is right, give yourself what you think you deserve 😉 *laughs*

I can normalise and/or remove your vote from being valid anyway becuase I log who votes how much for each entry 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

z-beam
      Participant

will evil admin fix the comp then?:smiley2:

my second entries almost done… been pretty slowed down by travelling so much, i just got home today so i’ve got 4 days to complete it before im back to sydney.

getting there… making new back windows for bcg’s aint that simple:angry:

HACHI-RYOKU
      Participant

You better give yourself a 10 to offset the 1 I’m gonna give you!:shock:

Only kidding pimp. I wouldn’t do that to you. Although this does present a dilema. How can I judge farely when I want to win? I guess I’ll be throwin some 10’s around anyhow. Gotta keep it fare. Besides, I don’t expect to win. I just came to compete.

z-beam
      Participant

that custom shell hachi is very nice! was it originally a super bcg porche?

i’m only a couple of clear coats away from my second entry being completed. made the dumb ass mistake of masking the outside but not the inside of the shell.

cant wait till its dry enough to see how it turned out. :p

where is everyone elses entries! havent any of the other z-fanatics got any good looking bodies they have made?

and Aaron, the 3-spoker rims i got from you looked awesome. untill a couple of rolling accidents took the mirrors off and stripped the chrome of the edges of the rims:angry:.

z-beam
      Participant

2 new entries up from me! check em out!!!:D

Prabbit
      Participant

Aaron, thanks for the spam. I haven’t been here in a long long time. Competition is a GREAT idea. I don’t have anything good to offer this competition since I haven’t picked up a micro in a long while but you can count on my vote.

AARON – Let me know when you have a “you can submit anything as long as it’s RC” competition. I’ve been very buisy putting in long hours on a new large scale project. You know me, I don’t do anything unless it’s over the top. I’ll be expecting a big prize!

-Peter
      (the original 2 cell modder of 2002)

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Prabbit i havent seen you here since the early days!! Dayum!!

betty.k
      Participant

i thought you was just an old wive’s tale!:D

finally got my 2 “specially made for this comp” entries in! it was touch and go for a while there, the pc i use is deader than dead and died as i was trying to upload these entries. but where there’s a will…:8ball:

TallduDe
      Participant

nice work betty

very very smooth :smiley16:

z-beam
      Participant

that Bb’s the shizzle betty, i love the versitility of that body. and you just took it one step further!

leonli17
      Participant

Just put in my entry. A really really late entry so i don’t think i’ll get alota votes. But i like my car so hope everyone likes it just as much as i do.

leonli17
      Participant

Just put in my entry. A really really late entry so i don’t think i’ll get alota votes. But i like my car so hope everyone likes it just as much as i do.

leonli17
      Participant

OMG!!!!!!!!! WHen I try to upload the entry, an error screen kept coming up says it cannot reach the site required.
      Then i kept trying until then i got through. But now look what happend! All my 4 entries are filled with 1 car!
      Sadly I can’t EDIT it.
      Arron: Anyway to help?

leonli17
      Participant

OMG!!!!!!!!! WHen I try to upload the entry, an error screen kept coming up says it cannot reach the site required.
      Then i kept trying until then i got through. But now look what happend! All my 4 entries are filled with 1 car!
      Sadly I can’t EDIT it.
      Arron: Anyway to help?

leonli17
      Participant

Sorry I have to do these messages in seperate. Somehow whenever i tried to edit a message, A Runtime Error always came up.

ANyway, I think the best way to solve my problem on the last post is:
      The PROPER Entry Description is on the last entry(the one just above betty.k’s BCG R32). And since all the pictures are at the first entry(the one just under betty.k’s MiniZ R34), everyone vote on the first entry.
      Sorry for the inconvinience.

leonli17
      Participant

Sorry I have to do these messages in seperate. Somehow whenever i tried to edit a message, A Runtime Error always came up.

ANyway, I think the best way to solve my problem on the last post is:
      The PROPER Entry Description is on the last entry(the one just above betty.k’s BCG R32). And since all the pictures are at the first entry(the one just under betty.k’s MiniZ R34), everyone vote on the first entry.
      Sorry for the inconvinience.

Admin
      Participant

Hey guys, love the entries on this contest so far. Just came to play, not to win, but one thing I noticed, is that with the current voting system being opened from the 1st entry it gives late commers a large advantage because more people will have seen thier work. Does this make sence? Well either way, GL to all that entered.

Admin
      Participant

Hey guys, love the entries on this contest so far. Just came to play, not to win, but one thing I noticed, is that with the current voting system being opened from the 1st entry it gives late commers a large advantage because more people will have seen thier work. Does this make sence? Well either way, GL to all that entered.

z-beam
      Participant

15 hours to go on this one!

im not sure about that finks, did you you vote for each entry? once you give an entry a score you must hit the vote now button, and wait for the page to refresh before voting on the next entry.

entries that have been there the longest had the greatest chance of being seen, and therefore voted on by as many members as possible IMO.

Thanks for participating!!!

z-beam
      Participant

15 hours to go on this one!

im not sure about that finks, did you you vote for each entry? once you give an entry a score you must hit the vote now button, and wait for the page to refresh before voting on the next entry.

entries that have been there the longest had the greatest chance of being seen, and therefore voted on by as many members as possible IMO.

Thanks for participating!!!

Keymaster

Yes not long now!

The voting system is designed to encourage ‘interesting’ patterns!

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

z-beam
      Participant

its aaaaaallllllll oooover!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil:

the results will be up soon…

good stuff to all that participated be it entering or voting!!!

i know you are a number junkie Aaron, spread thee rusults my good friend!!!

Edited by – z-beam on 01 October 2004 00:14:02

Keymaster

*grins* Shortly shortly 🙂

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Keymaster

OK.

I have cleaned up the entries. Plus there is a number at the bottom of each entry. This is the result for that entry. Where there were duplicate entries I’ve had to manually add everything together.

Expect a larger more detailed post shortly!

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

brendan
      Participant

so are the entries closed?

Keymaster

Yes they are 😉

--
      Site Owner Guy.

z-beam
      Participant
      Quote:
      OK.

Where there were duplicate entries I’ve had to manually add everything together.

Expect a larger more detailed post shortly!

A.

add evertrhing for each one together? so if i posted a score of 7 for each of the four multiple entries that will add up to 28 for the multiple entry from me alone?

z-beam
      Participant

109 for talldudes masterwork of a track!
      108 for ze flaming monster truck!
      102 for hachis superb custom ride!
      98 for Betty’s beaut Bb!
      good stuff all!!!

Edited by – z-beam on 02 October 2004 12:58:58

Keymaster

z-beam That’s what’s taking my time. I’ve had to remove duplicate votes etc.

However when it’s come down to it there’s not much space at the top!

I’ll be posting full results tonight!

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

z-beam
      Participant

i eagerly await the results!:evil::smiley2:

HACHI-RYOKU
      Participant

Gongrats to all the cars. Everything here was a bitchin ride (or track) that I wouldn’t mind owning.

So, does third get anything? (Man, I probably sound like a gold digger)

Edited by – HACHI-RYOKU on 05 October 2004 03:02:24

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • The topic ‘“Winter Workshopping” Competition’ is closed to new replies.