World Champ visits Australia…

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion World Champ visits Australia…

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      PandaBear
      Participant

Don t know if you Sydney guys knew, but the bigger RC boys
      were running their “Winter Champs” at Eastern Creek June 27/28/29.
      Invitee celebrity was none other than Surikarn Chadyasuriya, the
      reigning IFMAR ISTC (international scale Touring Car) world champion.

scpits.jpg

coxy_sc.jpg

WinterNats23.jpg

GT-ahh
      Participant

all those colors are making me dizzy…

SurfmyStrat
      Participant

did you go or did you pull those picks off the internet?

barto_85
      Participant

those cars look really good, and they’re fast too, i’ve seen them at car shows up here in brisbane.

DaveF
      Participant

I love the paint jobs. What scale are those ones? Mini Zs, or bigger

barto_85
      Participant

I think they are bigger, and I also think that they are gas/petrol/whatever they use. The ones I saw were really easy to drift because they have so much acceleration.

PandaBear
      Participant

Common RC scales…

“ISTC” = 1/10th scale touring cars, either 190mm wide for electric or 200mm for gas (nitro). These have 4-wheel independent suspension, commonly known as parking-lot racers.

“Mini 1/10th”, 160mm wide. Popularised by Tamiya’s Rover Mini Cooper (FWD), some other manufacturers eg HPI, Colt, Yokomo have built Mini-sized chassis too; some are 4WD.

There’s also the “1/10 ProTen” which are 235mm, but these aren’t as popular anymore. They’re wider and don’t look as scale; they’re like smaller 1/8th cars.

1/12th electric running Lola/CanAm shells have been around forever (pan chassis, flex suspension only). Currently regaining popularity racing with 4-cells and modified motors as they’re fast & low maintenance.

1/8th onroad gas also run Lola/CanAm shells, the ultimate in RC racing. Engines with 3hp+ in a 2kg package will out-accelerate anything you can think of.

1/8th offroad gas buggy.

1/10th offroad buggy, electric.

1/10th offroad Stadium Truck, both gas & electric.

1/10th Rail Dragster . 😯

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      did you go or did you pull those picks off the internet?

ahh, I would have loved to have gone to watch (I’m in Melbourne, it was held in Sydney 1000kms away). But we didn’t know he was coming until less than a week before the race… by that stage the planes were all booked out and there were no cheap tix left to be found, not to mention hotel bookings. :dead:

Worst of all… I didn’t own anything worthy of getting his autograph on. This guy has 2 Tamiya cars named after him now, and I don’t have either… :sad::sad:

btw: this guy won the World Champs with a TAMIYA car. So to any fan of Tamiya still breathing, this fella is bigger than GOD to us. 🙂

Many Melbournians did go up but; some went up to race and some others arranged to go up at the last minute just because this fella was going to be there.

He did not disappoint. He won the mod electric class & the gas classes; came 3rd in the Mini class (with a fresh car built for him by the Melbourne guys!!) so yeah, there’s 2 guys out there who can truthfully say their Minis went faster than the God’s.

Everyone who saw him drive could only comment how smooth his lines were… that is the main secret – cut neat lines that keep one’s corner speeds up.

SC’s car:

WinterNats26.jpg

Keymaster

I’m amazed at how many people are running Chrysler shells (Stratus and 300M) these days. OK they are pretty slippy but they’re not even sold here…

--
      Site Owner Guy.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Drool i would so like to be there, and give him drifting lessons (joke).
      Yeah im a tamiya fan, should have got him to sign my GH2 body (also joke).

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      I’m amazed at how many people are running Chrysler shells (Stratus and 300M) these days. OK they are pretty slippy but they’re not even sold here…

There’s not much choice out there. To be “touring car” its gotta be a 4-door sedan, so that leaves out all the sportcars. And of the current crop, ppl prefer the handling of the Stratus (Mk I & II), the 300M and the Alfa – something to do with having good downforce in certain area/s etc etc.

Personally of that lot I’d only go for the Alfa… have been running a Civic coupe, a BMW E36, Audi A4 and now a 4-dr Accord. But someone just gave me some Strati and a 300M so maybe I’ll give them a bash to see what’s the hype all about.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.