xmod+ iwaver decision time

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      hakhawk
      Participant

ok guys, i finally got a xmod chassis, awd conversion, lithium battery kit, and now its time to put it all together. but i have a few dilemmas.

1. how do i wire the xmod servo to my iwaver 01 board? im gonna have a play, but any help will be appreciated.

2. i have a 4×2 stack of 7317 fets on the board, but as some of you will know, the iwaver 01 board has the fets on opposite side to the other components, to make this fit the way i want, i have to remove them, so do i try to make an external fet stack with just extension wires or do i bite the bullet and get a spider from the shop? i’m leaning towards the spider

3. is the li-ion battery 7.4volts safe for the iwaver board? if not, how do i get full potential of li-ions to motor? again, help would be great.

once i get it running, im going all alloy, this thing feels like its gonna break each time i unscrew something on it. and im gonna try for a custom chassis with different suspension setup. and can anyone tell me how well the xmod servo holds up gearwise compared to mini z’s and iwavers, are they easy to break?

thanks,

hakhawk

merc-blue
      Participant

good to see you are using ur brain and not other peoples

1. get a mini-Z steerin pot and Xmod steering pot.. measure values then wire it up with appropritate resistors added to ‘even it out’

4 wires = 2 for the pot 1 for power 1 for ground simple enough?

2. hakhawk unless u can buld a PCB or have good skills buy one if u have to ask .. buy one

3. 7.4v? plug it in and find out i would guess it would take 9V but if u wanna play safe 2 and 3 can be fixxed with a nelly

the Xmod servo is much stronger

hakhawk
      Participant

cool, thanks for the help merc-blue. steering pot sounds easy enough, will do that tomorrow.

i have been thinking about it all day and have decided to go the spider. i do have the skills to build a pcb, but unfortunately not the equipment, unless i hack something up from perfboard. spider is quicker and neater.

and for the li-ion, i might have a quick search thru the other forums out there, see what i can find, but i dare say, that the board will be fine with 7.4v.

oh, and i have already done my first mod to the xmod: a carbon fibre driveshaft. i had about a half a meter length lying around from an old school project that was the exact diameter, i cut it to length, filed the ends to fit the gears and it was done. if anyone wants one done, or a set of 3 for the different chassis legths, let me know, i still have more kicking around somewhere.

betty.k
      Participant
      hakhawk
      Participant

cool, thanks for that betty.k. i have seen both those threads before, but i will go and read through them again, to refresh my memory.

hakhawk
      Participant

ok guys, i have got it mostly set up, still have to try a few things for the steering, i should get my ‘spider’ monday, thanks again aaron.

i have ordered 2x tamiya plasmadash motors and an atomic ball bearing can and bearings for it, they will be here in a couple weeks.

now, where can i find a alloy motor mount that has the heatsink fins on it wiht the predrilled motor can holes? rcmart only has the standard alloy ones. cant wait to start getting some alloy bits for this.

betty.k
      Participant

those finned heatsinks are from the stage 2 motor kit and you need to drill your own holes in them.8ball.gif

hakhawk
      Participant

ok, cool. thanks betty.k, holes are easy enough to drill. so, anyone got one they wanna sell me for around au$10, otherwise, im just gonna get one of the standard alloy ones from dinball.

betty.k
      Participant

i’m not 100% but i think ph2t may have a spare. send him a pm or email. otherwise, ask a yank8ball.gif

hakhawk
      Participant

well, save starting a new thread, i thought id ressurect this old one.

ok, the xmod chassis sucks, crappy plastic, bad suspension design on rear, so im gonna try and make a custom chassis, double wishbone setup as i saw on another forum. cant afford a xmod evo or ma010.

but i was looking at pics of the ma010, and i like the diff, looks much stronger and easier to change gears for the centre shaft.

so, what outside diameter is the big bearing that keeps the diff in place?

hmm, might even try and use the whole ma010 setup minus chassis, alloy knuckles, alloy dogbones, alloy axles, diff, just gotta make up diff and suspension arm holders.

sound feasable?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.