Yay ordered my first mini z!!! Now what?

Home Forums Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods and other Mini-Scale Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods – Discussion Yay ordered my first mini z!!! Now what?

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author
      icebreaka
      Participant

Hello mini z lovers..

I just placed my order for the Mobil 1 nsx mr-02 😀 hehe and now i can t wait.. !

But i m a total newbie.. i ve read a few of the previous posts on newbieness but i wanna get sum fresh ideas.. So.. how do i start with the upgrading? when do i start? .. should i like order bearings now as well?? and should i get em off rcmart or can i jus get em from my LHS??

These questions need to be answered ! 😉 hehe.. I wana be one of those “upgrade in steps” ppl.. and i want a guide on the order i should go about it..

Thnanks alot..

Look forward going to meadowbank sumtime in the year!!

p.s mini z s better be worth it =P ..

p.p.s .. where can i get a white altezza body for cheap? bithed? .. hmm i wanna get that car when im 30 yrs old 😀

Edited by – icebreaka on 18 June 2004 00:12:46

L337_krew
      Participant

i reckon u should get it from rcmart coz its cheaper…get some good 800 or 900 mah batteries for da car…

L337_krew
      Participant

o yea also get stainless steel kingpins coz da stock ones r juz plastic n juz plain suck

icebreaka
      Participant

hehe i already got 10 800mah aaa batts :D.. and i got 16 aa 2100mah batts for $38aud.. :)..

and lucky i ordered the stainless steel kingpins with it 🙂

Edited by – icebreaka on 19 June 2004 00:56:03

betty.k
      Participant

bearings is number 1 on that list. then get alloy wheelnuts, wide wheels and tyres. that will get you going til you bust something, most likely on the front end.:8ball:

dgs73
      Participant

things to do (first mods); bearings, Hplate and Xspeeed. The stock kingpins can also be polished back to give the same effect as s/s kings if cash is tight. Oh and 800mah nimh batteries, like mentioned above

dgs73
      Participant

betty; the NSX has wides on it already dood…

kevsta
      Participant

Icebreaka, once you take your first drive of a mini-z the bitchar-gs just end up back in their boxes. As for being worth it – I think it is – propo steering makes it so much better. I have never looked back since…

icebreaka
      Participant

lol i guess my new $30 superslick 1:43 car wont be put to good use then.. lols ..

has anyone got a carbon fibre medium h plate or a set for sale cheaper than rcmart shipped..?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

L337_krew, wtf the stock kingpins are steel, not plastic.

Icebreaka

First mod to get is ball bearings, they increase speed and acceleration and run very smoothe.

H plate isn’t that critical if you run on smoothe surfaces, though if you get the set you can change stiffness. If you powerslide at speed and hit something, the stock Plate will break.

An upgrade motor….X speed costs a bloody lot considering the power, there are cheaper, better quality, faster motors.

A ball diff is the next part you need, these significantly increase traction, and will help prevent spinouts etc and will allow you to corner faster.

tyres- don’t be fooled, the softer tyres dont always mean more traction, on smoothe concrete hard or stock tyres seem to have more traction than the widest softest rubber from GPM.

Foam tyres at this scale are good, but wear quickly, on my mini Z they lasted about 5 minutes at templestowe race track. But your car should be fine, as it will have 1/14 the power, and will be kinder on tyres, though even with a stock motor you can wheelspin and powerslide.

Soft tyres will work good on things like smoothe ashphalt and carpet.

Alloy parts: These have little purpose, they look nice and add weight.

Alloy motor mounts can help get rid of motor heat and increase motor life.

Alloy wheels are strong, run dead true (to the eye at least), are fairly light and look great. These aren’t a bad idea.

Parts like alloy bulkheads add lots of weight, but some say that the weight in the nose improves handling.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Also alloy 1st servo gear can solve many headaches, and rear dampers/roll shocks/ front springs also help to accustom your car to any given track.

Tie rod sets will change steering characteristics for different tracks.

You may also choose to go down the TURBO/FET path, these give your car more power, and allow you to run hotter motors with a lot of power and speed without the risk of blowing your PCB.

If you do go with FETs or a Turbo, there are plenty of nice upgrade motors to choose from, the tamiya series are fantastic value for money.

dgs73
      Participant

umm… what he said… and being an MR-02 you have easier access (in chassis) to stuff like tie rods as an MR-01 has to have its servo box opened up to swap. Xspeed is an option, it’s up to you. There are multiple options out there for Z, and a large percentage are not made by Kyosho.

icebreaka
      Participant

ok .. i’ll order sum bearings now.. quick what are the best yet cheap ones to get..

do i just get YEAH bearings from rcmart? or sumfin else.. and where do i get alloy wheel nuts from?

chino
      Participant

H plates. since they break all too often. even stock Zs. in a event out here at our local race track. the entry level micro class. they had to pause the race since 4 out of 6 Zs racing broke H plates. its a pain. so hav extra at hand.

ice, i too hav a superslick. its fun jus goofin off with them. for tha need for speed i converted mine to a 3 cell. kan keep up with a xspeed equiped z. try it
      http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v51/chino925/bits/bc480ba7.jpg
      http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v51/chino925/bits/DCP_0059.jpg

icebreaka
      Participant

So where do i get Carbon fibre H plates? are they the same as graphite ones?

Super Max Power
      Participant
      Quote:
      An upgrade motor….X speed costs a bloody lot considering the power, there are cheaper, better quality, faster motors.

Like what?

betty.k
      Participant

cf and graphite seem to mean the same thing with z parts. they are available in sets of 3 from all good hobby shops, both online and off. i’d recomend buying a set as i broke 2 h plates in the first week of owning my i waver (1 stock and 1 kyosho plastic). yeah racing make quality products, nuff said! and you should find alloy nuts at rcmart too:8ball:

chino
      Participant

i wonder when iwaver will make a mr-02 chassie. i used 2 hplates on my power runner (Palm runner clone). i have an mr-o1 rear end on it. 2 h plates worked good. i lil stiff but hasnt broken since.

are the Hplates similare on an MR-02? i had a 01 on my mind this whole time

ph2t
      Participant
      Quote:
      Quote:

Like what?

like any of these buggers:

tam_15215_ss.gif

tam_15186_ss.gif

more here:

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=421_293_190

Note: the plasma dash needs a turbo/fet upgrade….

Super Max Power
      Participant

Thanks

icebreaka
      Participant

ok i just ordered:
      1 x Kyosho alloy wheel nuts
      1 x Yeah bearings for mini-z
      1 x 3 Racing H-plate (medium)

anything i missed or should get?

betty.k
      Participant

i think your next purchase will be a faster motor. and if the z doesn’t come with different sized pinions (it should) then look into them:8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Faster motor and ball differential.

icebreaka
      Participant

Why is the ball differential set so expensive $30us???

Is there a better cheaper option?

Super Max Power
      Participant

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=144_21_71_430

The TOPCAD ball diff on this page are less than half that price. You even get to pick what colour you want.

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh get a GPM there really top quality… if your going to do a order from rc mart also get a better motor and some more tyres (you need tons of types for different conditions)…. also if ur Z is fetted get a plasma dash and neo mags and motor can bearings

Edited by – merc-blue on 19 June 2004 16:36:58

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

don’t get topcad, they are crap

icebreaka
      Participant

wow.. how expensive does this hobby get..

merc-blue
      Participant

very. ive put about 300 into my x-mod and gonna have to put in another 70ish to make it compeditive… ive spent abit over 2000 bux on my RCs in the few years ive been doing it
      also once uve got a hopped up Z its set for life… once you have carbon H plates, bearings, ball diff, a good motor, fetts and some good cells you wont ever have to spend ne more on it unless you want stuff like roll shocks and stuff

Edited by – merc-blue on 19 June 2004 20:26:33

betty.k
      Participant
      Quote:
      wow.. how expensive does this hobby get..

i’m still wiping tears of laughter from my eyes!:D

man with a double espresso in ya and a fully loaded credit card you could blow $700 on a single mini z alone, maybe more!:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh i recon easy… on a madforce you could do it no probs… lol dont worry about a double espresso the greatest is!!!! JOLT MINT GUM

icebreaka
      Participant

I just got my mini-z this afternoon! lols.. I ordered and paid thursday night, they shipped on friday.. and it’s already here monday arvo! How fast does toyeast get!! … A bit annoyed about how the mailman jus left it at my doorstep.. $200aud package left there..

anyways.. took my first drive! .. aaa batts here 3/4 dead and my aa’s were 9/10 dead..

but it still drove.. It was so quiet compare to my xmod..!.. but i do have some complaints..

Why is it so easy to spin out and loose control?

Is this due to:
      – Using it on tiles and its too slippery? (my xmod hugs the tiles very tightly)

– Batteries are dead?..

Hmms.. maybe after i recharge my batts i’ll see again.. hoping for the besT!.. not very satisfied yet :S.. but we’ll see.. my xmod stage 2 is so much faster than my stock mini-z atm..

oh well.. gotta wait till 2moro to see!

z-beam
      Participant

i got a tiled floor and unless its just been cleaned my z looses it with not much throttle.

i got better results with my one and only upgrade, soft tires on the rear. especially when you give the tires a clean in warm water.

xmods are 4wd arnt they? thats why it handles better on slippery surfaces.

icebreaka
      Participant

hmm.. so what surface are u meant to use it on then? ..
      my xmod is just RWD havent upgraded it .. but it goes so fast and sticks to the tiles so well.. so hmms?

betty.k
      Participant

if i’m thinking right your stock car has a 6t pinion, very torquey. and your stock tyres are fairly hard. so using throttle control is your best bet, or mop the tiles. as for surface, drive it on anything it’ll go over i say!:8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Dude mini Z’s come with fairly hard tyres, this is because they are long lasting and kyosho want you to upgrade, if you get really soft 10-20 deg tyres it will stick like shit

icebreaka
      Participant

hehe ok my xmod uses soft tires.. i see i see.. hehehe.. lols..

ok .. so does anyone have soft tires for sale for cheap? can’t be bothered placing an overseas order again..! tiles is my main racing surface with my friends who are about to order some mr-02’s…

I’ll visit my LHS 2mo.. doubt they’ll have any.. so does anyone have cheap soft tires 4 sale?

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.