Z newbie – what MR-02 hop ups?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I ve finally decided to get an MR-02. Whooo!
      Probably a Mobil NSX from ToyEast ($109USD not incl post) – is this an ok price?

I want to leave the car stock for a while (until I can drive it without crashing too much), but would like to get some hop ups while I m throwing the $ around 😀

What should I be looking at?
      And where s a good place to get em?

Participant

To start off with, I’ve gotten the ball bearing set, rear carbon-fibre h-plates and a ball diff.

I shopped with rcmart.com on this occasion which has prompt delivery and you can view your final shopping cart in $aud

:smiley16:

Edited by – kevsta on 09 April 2004 08:56:53

Participant

yeh deffiently and then get a plasma dash (the great) then fet it or get some one 2 fet it for you or else you can get a external turbo and also tires make sure u have toms of diffent tyres for different conditions

Participant

You should know already, but I’ll say it just in case, don’t even think about running a plasma dash without FETs.

Participant

I had no problems in my stock mini z madforce with the plasma dash, drove it around for ages, using the 12t pinion as well….. it was only when I started going below 40 turns did I need fets…..

I suggest you get good rechargable Nimh’s and a charger if you don’t have already….

ph2t.

Participant

I think I’ll leave the FETs until I can drive well enough.

Anyone know about GPM diffs? They’re less than 1/2 the price of the Kyosho ones.

I’ve read that the Enzos handle much better than the RM cars (like the NSX), but I really don’t like the look of them. I’m not really into elegant driving anyway :evil:, so hopefully it won’t matter too much.
      Tempted to get a MR-01 instead, just for the better range of bodies. But that’s just stupid. Isn’t it?

Participant

The Madforce has upgraded FETs, but I’m still surprised it can handle a PD. I had a plasma running 8.4 volts in a 1/20 odd buggy and man that thing flew! Motor just about caught fire though…

Don’t MR-01 bodies actually fit the MR-02 as well?

Participant

I think the MR-01 NSXs and Vipers (?) will fit on the RM MR-02s – but I’m pretty sure that’s all.

I don’t think any of the MR-01 bodies will fit on the MM MR-02s. Can’t find much info on any of it.

Participant

Sorry fellas, I made a stuff up here.

I though you guys were talking about the X-Speed motor from Kyosho, not the tamiya plasma dash. Yes OTP, the plasma dash requires a fet upgrade. The X-Speed doesn’t need a fet upgrade. Sorry about the mistake here but I was reading other threads where people stated that X-speeds needed upgraded fets when they don’t.

So yes, the plasma needs upgraded fets.

:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

ph2t.

Participant

I’m going to try an X-Speed until I’m ready to get the FETs done.

So much reading about Zs… dizzy

I think the MR-02 RMs will take most MR-01 bodies (from what I’ve read), as long as the front wheels don’t get in the way.

Participant

that’d mean the wide bodies off MR-01 only… like Kevsta’s saying, ball diff, bearings and h-plates are the place to start, with some good nimh batteries. And a Dash DOES need fets…

Participant

Few more questions before I hit the ‘buy now’ button:

How can I tell what MR-01 bodies are ‘wide body’?

Will the ‘normal’ mini-z wheels at Dinball fit an MR-02? Wouldn’t mind getting some black wheels.

Anyone know if the GPM diffs are ok? They’re $14USD compared to $30USD for the Kyosho diff.

What’s a decent light kit to get? Or should I think about making my own? GPM kits are $13, the Kyosho ones are up around $30 ! owch.

Here’s my shopping list so far:
      MR-02 RM NSX $109USD
      Kyosho carbon H plate set $12
      GPM Alloy ball diff $14
      Dinball bearings $7
      X-Speed $10

Edited by – Kerosene on 12 April 2004 14:48:35

Participant

I think normal wheels are the “narrow” 8.5mm type.

As for light kit, I’ve ordered the mini-z clone light kit from toyeast. They cost $5.50 US.

🙂

Participant

Hadn’t thought of that.
      1 x Iwaver light kit added to my shopping list 🙂

Edited by – Kerosene on 12 April 2004 15:51:39

Participant

Get stainless kingpins for a smooth front suspension, otherwise, you’ll find yourself polishing the stock ones every run.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.