Z s workshop…new pics of sprinter 22/3/05

Home Forums Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods and other Mini-Scale Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods – Discussion Z s workshop…new pics of sprinter 22/3/05

Viewing 84 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

i thought it might be nice to post updates regularly about the ongoing modding and painting that im doing…and take advantage of the new lightbox that arrived this week!:smiley2:

right now im working on a converted 57 chevy and petes sprinter is getting an overhaul…

for now ill let the pics do the talking! any questions and comments are more than welcome!:smiley2:

Edited by – z-beam on 08 February 2005 19:32:32

Edited by – z-beam on 01 March 2005 00:53:41

Edited by – z-beam on 16 March 2005 10:19:51

Edited by – z-beam on 16 March 2005 11:25:04

Edited by – z-beam on 22 March 2005 23:06:18

Participant

where r da pics z beam ?
      57 chev sounds good

Participant

i was uploading them….

heres a side veiw and then a top veiw of the chev…

B7502420B74E29F8.jpg

B74E29F6B74E29F7.jpg

Participant

and now for the sprinter…

a top veiw showing how it looks right now…

B751ED66B74E29FA.jpg

and now for some pics of the bodywork i have done to the front end… (hope you like it pete!)

keep in mind the putty was sculpted last night and hasnt been sanded or cut back in any way…
      B755A6D4B74E29FE.jpg

B754F96EB74E29FD.jpg

B75412D7B74E29FC.jpg

Participant

nice chop job on the Chevy 😀
      The spoiler on the sprimter looks cool and should be a stunner once it is sanded …
      What was the chev body from ? a model kit ?

Participant

yup, the chevy had about an inch cut from it along the green line to make it fit the longest wheelbase length of a mini-z with a standard h-plate. it is an AMD ertl classic cars kit.

the reason it looks a little blotchy is i sanded it again after the first coat of primer to eliminate some imperfections along the roof and door were the two halves met up. i also filled up part of the side detail where the line of the body dipped near the doors as it didnt appeal to me and i wanted a slightly more modern look.

cant wait to hear petes first reaction to the sprinter… he said he wanted it re-designed but im not sure he meant this far:D
      thanx for the positive feedback empire!

Participant

yeah far exceeds any work i can do at the moment cheers blackeye:

Participant

dont be down on yourself. a part of experience is messing things up, it helps you understand what is possible and what isnt. the worst thing you could ever do is not try at all, you surely will never create anything good by being scared of faliure…

:smiley2: so give it a go… and trust me its easier to work on larger scales than small ones…

Participant

yeah anything has got to be easier than tryin to mod a bit :dead: When I get a z I want to try it… What scale was the model 1/24 ?

Participant

1/24th it was… if anyone has ever seen toranas or older model commodores or falcons as plastic kits in this scale i am highly interested in purchasing them…

Participant

i found a few sites that sell some holden and ford resin kits. i cant remember the addys tho. search on this forum and its there somewhere. im gonna do one myself sometime. nice work on both cars too, oh and what body putty is that ur using?

Edited by – hakhawk on 08 February 2005 22:07:31

Participant

its a product called green stuff and you can get it through games workshop. somebody has told me that another company makes it and GW just repakages it, in other words there is a better supplier of it than i have at the moment i just havent got their details…

thanks but resin is too brittle for actual use. i need a plastic kit…

Participant

ok, yeh, not sure wat is out there in plastic. now its time 4 me 2 find cheap price on some of that green stuff. i have heard a friend mention it before, but i thought he just didnt know its name.

Participant

so you providing a service here dude?

sorry about not providing pics of the bcg shell you did for me i got no camera no more :sad:.

Participant

the green stuff strikes again!:smiley2: they’re coming along nicelyman, keep us posted:8ball:

Participant

hey talldude, ive allways wanted to do commisioned work when it comes to art. i did a fair bit of sculpting and painting (wish i did woodwork and more spraying through design and technology now) in high school and one of the ways of knowing your on the right track is if some one will pay for your art. the best thing above that is if someone will pay you to just create with few guidelines in place and be happy with the end result…

as for the gto, one day it will be photographed… but really i shoulda done it before handing it over.

will do betty!

Participant

might have a job for ya man check your pm’s.

Participant

Nice work on the Hachi. putty is fun…….:D

Participant

putty is fun! how much to you pay for yours zen? for two 10 cm strips it costs me $15 aud…

sanding went well last night but to get it all smooth in the recesses i had to shave it down using a scalpel, turned out well!

Participant

update: the sprinter got its first coat of primer tonight, wich revealed a number of spots that need attention. once they have had a bit of fixing a second coat of primer will go on in preperation for the colours… at the moment ove been thinking of giving it an extreme fade from orange at the front through ferrari red and then finally black. to preserve the brightness of the orange ill have to pant the black first on half the car, followed by the red and finally the orange on the bare primer at the front.

its going to be a bit different for a sprinter,but hey its inventive at least!

im still waiting on my stockist to get some pearl white in for me to do the roof of the chevy…

next week there will be a few new arrivals from the dude who is tall… better get stuck into the projects on the table hey…

Participant

Im so happy with the work your doing and like your idears on the paint sceam, I think you have done wonders on this car which i was going to chuck because i thought it was way to gone to be recond…:smiley2:

I would like to hear more about your chevy, and i would like to see progress picts of both :smiley2::p:approve:

Thanks heeps z-beam:smiley2:

Participant

i should get some pics up tonight i reckon, the weather is good for spraying up here today…

Participant

looking forward to seeing it!:smiley2::8ball:

Participant

i know i know, i been a bit lazy lately… the weather WAS good that day, but now its a little too windy to be spraying in the shed …

the sprinter did get some more putty work, and another coat of primer on the affected areas, only to reveal more freakin problems! Argh!

how perfect do you want it pete? good, great, or oh my god its better than new? (that last options a trick question by the way:smiley2:)

im thinking i might have to bite the bullet and accept a little imperfections this time…

and the supra and the skyline arrived in great condition talldude… did you want the rx-7 spoiler attached to the supra?

Participant

yeah man the rear wing onto the supra if you dont mind 🙂

keep us posted man

cheers

Participant

while having a beer and a ciggy on the back porch i did a little trimming on the supra to remove any molding lines and whatever gunk was stuck to it (what was that stuff?).

i had never seen any zip zap bodies before in person for long enough to come to appreciate them (xcept for betties wizzle willy) the detailing on them is great, its a real shame their range of cars didnt make it to the australian stores…

i wish TD sent up the monster chassis for me to muck around with as well! i really would love it if someone started to import these awesome micros considering how many options there are available for them…

Participant

as soon as i see one i’m gonna grab one of them… every time i see TD i wind up playing with it… sooo much fun in a tiny package…:approve::D

Participant

dude im getting another monster! thesethings are fun this one will be modded though LOL.

hence the fancy new shell.

Participant

allright… i got the first bits of paint on the sprinter last night but the flouro red looked like some spiffy nail polish or lipstick so i had to go over it again…

i did it again, and got it looking real nice when the creativity got into gear and decided to destroy the even fade by splattering the flouro over the car to give it a “im on fire” effect… looked great untill i did some goofy big splatters and went for the even look again…

i am having fun with it though!

Participant

aha! some pics to look at!

so what do you all think of that?

Participant

i did a little lowering to the super supra tonight as well, using an old stock mr-01 h-plate and leaving out one of the spacers in the roll shock set. all i did was trim the two ends of the Hplate after sanding it down so it became a little thinner and then make the hole a little bigger so it fitted over the kingpins… then just put the two bits on the kingpins below where the new cambered knuckles fit…

now all i want to finish this turbo beast is some nice patterned radial tyres and a few more subtle stickers…
      you like that? i do!

Edited by – z-beam on 28 February 2005 23:37:59

Participant

good stuff, sprinter looks great, but im loving the low stance of the supra.

Participant

very nice z, I might have some spare mr01 CF hplates if you need them, let me know..

what’s the red shell? the trueno? I have no idea…..:approve:

ph2t.

Edited by – ph2t on 01 March 2005 15:14:21

Participant

i like the ae86, the front sorta looks a bit long but i think that’s just because it needs some details to contrast with. otherwise it’s a work of aaaaart!:D:8ball:

Participant

i got plenty of h-plates thanks ph2t, but its the broken plastic ones that are easily used. im not to sure how easy cf is to cut… your pilling my leg, of couse its the trueno!

red makes things look bigger betty, its a little trick that advertisers use… what sort of details do you suggest?

good to hear some positive responses!

i had a go with the supra at the local netball courts today and it goes very well indeed, only problem was the soft compound tyres on the front flew off. dont know if i would ever race it outdoors again with the lowering bits in it, it just cleans up the tiniest of chunks and i wouldnt be bothered sweeping the 12 or so courts to stop the problem…

Participant

Carbon Fibre is pretty easy to cut with a small saw…

Participant

looks good man.

hows my projects going?

Participant

Remember Guys This was merc’s Toyota before it went to icebreaker And it needed some major work when it came to me so thats why i gave it to z-beam to work on, He is the man…
      And im happy with the way its going hay

You Melbourne guys might remember:smiley2:

Participant

the man hey? im A man, but not THE man… otherwise i would have a LOT of women! but thanks pete, ive been waiting to hear what you thought…

now i need you to think about what else (if anything) you want added to it…

and talldude, im still getting petes sprinter out of the way first so i can concentrate on the supra…

Participant

red2.gif

do you like that pete? for the front bonnet?

Participant

hey, and i thought there was no pics of me on this site…!!!:p:smiley2:

Participant

Z-Beam have you seen any where else that other colors of that multicolour paint you used.
      The Tamiya green shot purple that you have used is prety cool, but the Gold shot pink that they have is prety mediocre to say the least. I am looking for somthing in either blue shot red or Dark blue shot with Light blue. (A Real Ligtning colour)

Participant

yeah dave i snuck a photo in with the camera on the phone…:D

indeed the pink to gold was nothing to get excited about… i havent heard anything about any other planned releases from tamiya, and last time i checked the ps-46 (purple/green) wasnt even on their site:question:

Participant

update: just checked with tamiya usa and there colour chart for the ps series of paint ends with ps-47 (pink/gold) and has 5 emty spaces for new releases in the range!

PS.jpg

Participant

I have found a selection of “Colour Change” paint on this site
      http://www.spazstix.com/
      But they all seem to be in liquid form (Not airasole), so you need your own airbrush

Participant

i have seen a car that had blakc red and blakc blue colour change very cool starts all black finishes red and blue

Participant

From what I understand most metalic paints are simply a carrying agent and metal particles, so would a mix of two metalic paints cause this effect, EG would a mix of blue and yellow metalic paints give this effect or would it give you green?

Participant
      Quote:
      red2.gif

do you like that pete? for the front bonnet?

Yep, Go ahead with that…
      :):):smiley2:

Participant

any news for me yet man?

Participant

That’s simply awesome, just stumbled on this thread, some good work happening there z-beam.

Participant
      Quote:
      From what I understand most metalic paints are simply a carrying agent and metal particles, so would a mix of two metalic paints cause this effect, EG would a mix of blue and yellow metalic paints give this effect or would it give you green?

pretty sure thats not possible… the reason the shift in colour occurs is that the particles that create the colour are a shape that shows up diferently or not at all depending on the angle they are veiwed… and if mixed as a liquid those two would definatly come out green…

heres a little snippet of one companies explanation on how their product works… found here: http://www.ammagazine.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,2606,83215,00.html

“The phenomenon seen in light-interference pigment is caused by the presence of thin, micro-layered structures that reflect different wavelengths of visible light depending on the angle at which they are viewed, and their position relative to the light source (Figure 1). This is possible because light has the property of waves and can interfere both constructively and destructively to form sharp reflectance peaks in visible light, resulting in highly chromatic colors.”

coolies pete!

and talldude… nothing more has happened but the filling of the skylines rear spoiler holes (thats what you wanted right?) and final adjustments to the supras rear end before masking and then spraying comences… you had any other thoughts about how you want the supra done?

Participant

ok Talldude, i sorted out the case for your skyline to protect it and to add to its appeal. it works just the same as an autoscale case so inverting the whole thing wont even knock it about… theres a small screw attaching the pullback chassis into the bottom plate.

Participant

i got some piccies now of the sprinter before it gets its coats of clear to finish it off along with my new rx-7 with light kit installed. the number plate on the sprinter reads oni-666… ask bithed what oni means if you need to…

Edited by – z-beam on 16 March 2005 22:07:38

Participant

sorry about the multiple posts, im trying to dodge the dreaded timeout bug!

heres a final shot of the two together and two pics showing the sprinter-oni on its own…

ONIDEMONU!

Participant

looks awesome with that decal on the bonnet. the front bar really suits it now. great work

Participant

Looks good with rx7 wheels too, I like it man :smiley2::p:approve:

Participant

those lights look awesome in the rx7… should’ve kept the one i had…:sad:

Participant

thanks hakhawk!

so when do you want me to send it to you pete?
      pm me when you get a chance!

poor dave! this newer model rx-7 is so much better than the old… drives like a dream with the foamies inside! its become my favorite z!

Participant

that’s the fd right? If so i had that… passed it onto TallDude if i remember right…

Participant

FD it is indeed!

looks so damned good driving around at night with the lights out…

thanks again for that little trick of yours to get the lights to stay on when the car is at a standstill, very handy for driving in the dark and taking photos!

Participant

cool z-beam cant wait!

anddave you can have the rx7 back if you want its got racing damage but still in one piece. would cost ya more stickers tho LOL.

Participant

nice supra!:smiley2::8ball:

Participant
      Quote:
      cool z-beam cant wait!

anddave you can have the rx7 back if you want its got racing damage but still in one piece. would cost ya more stickers tho LOL.

hahaha… nah, that alright, i actually sold it as i did’nt really want to keep adjusting from medium to long wheelbase all the time. (threads the screw holes in the chassis…) If you need more stickers that’s not a problem though…:smiley2:

Participant

Hey Z Beam. I am having a play with teh tamiya Geen/purple… It is looking really purple and yours looks prety green… also did you find you had to use a lot of coats to get it to show up?

Participant

sure did have to use a lot of coats… i ended up using the whole can on the one car!

it is designed for use on lexan bodies on the inside of the plastic and then youve got to put black over the top of it (on the inside of the car).

i used a silver undercoat with it, what did you use underneath?

Participant

here you go pete!

44D8C86544D8C818.jpg

and heres some pics of some seriously simple additions ive made for my z’s to cope with my slightly bumpy tiles. they act as dampeners on the front suspention of my z’s and reduce the amount of hopping the front end does… also lowers the chassis by 1mm at the same time:D

44DDAC8844D8C819.jpg

44E2D83344D8C81A.jpg

Participant

I hae done some test sprays so far, but will be using it on a lexan.

Having a bit of a play with diferent backing sprays at the moment.

Participant

Any day now, looks sweet, I like your suspention invention

How do i post pics like that mate…?

Participant

type this without the dashes [-i-m-g-]X[-/-i-m-g-]
      and add the images location in where i put X(found by right clicking on a pic and selecting properties and then highlighting the location and copying it)

eg. peteWah.jpg

Participant

this little suspension invention has smoothed out the cars handeling so much. i’ll make you some if you want to give them a try! im sure youll be pleased with them!

Participant

No go, Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I understand but i dont:smiley2:

Participant

very nice Josh, now all you need to do is stock showing us your credit card transactions on the internet! hahah!

ph2t.

Participant
      Quote:
      type this without the dashes [-i-m-g-]X[-/-i-m-g-]
      and add the images location in where i put X(found by right clicking on a pic and selecting properties and then highlighting the location and copying it)

eg. peteWah.jpg

z-beam.gif

I hope:smiley2::question:

Participant

all the details are gone… i thought it was safe ph2t!

not working for you still pete?

click on on the option to the left of the posting window that says “forum code is on”. scroll down the new info bar to the bottom to see the instructions to insert images into a post. is it the code you dont get or the location of the images adress?

Participant

Fucken yes
      Now all i have to do is the same with the pics in my computer with there location right…..?

:D:D:D:p:approve::smiley2:

Participant

lol, just ribbing ya!

ph2t.

Participant

1 must clear 1’s Cache YES

Show me the CACHE…!:D:D:smiley2:

Participant

sorry pete, you cant link pics from your pc at home, its got to be hosted on the internet first. all the pics ive used in this thread can be found in my ausmicro.com gallery.

upload your pics into the gallery before you try to link them into a post…

good luck!

Participant
      Quote:
      Fucken yes
      Now all i have to do is the same with the pics in my computer with there location right…..?

:D:D:D:p:approve::smiley2:

wrong. the only pictures you can include in a post must exsist on the web. so you need to upload your pictures somewhere on the web like your ausmicro gallery. once you’ve done that you need the address of your newly uploaded pic, right click on it and select properties.

more details on posting pics and other stuff can be found in the faq section near the top of this page:8ball:

Participant

That would be so unless you are able to have web hosting through your ISP like bigpond for instance
      Am i right or is that what you just told me, same same but diffrent

Or not:smiley2:

Participant

Ausmicro gallery Tomorrow it is then…

Thanks Josh, betty:):):p:question::8ball::dead:

Participant

the reason the ausmicro gallery is the best for linking pics into posts here is that the files are so close that there is very little time needed to load the pics…

Participant

Ok,
      The car has not come yet you tripper:smiley2:

Do you want to let me know whats happened…:smiley2:

Participant

nice to hear you like the oni-sprinter pete!

heres a long awaited progress pick of your supra talldude, i call it redback…

47F839AF47F839B0.jpg

and i was wondering, because i cant get a hold of the pearl white, would this light blue pearl be cool for the skyline?

47FBBAA847F839B1.jpg

Participant

http://community.webshots.com/photo/116292953/343153817lwiSxb

i cant seem to get pics to upload onto my gallery yet so heres a link to see the skyline i did for talldude with the redback next to it. i cant wait to se it on the monster chassis!

Viewing 84 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.