Zip Zap Se s

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      VooDooMafia
      Participant

Has anyone done any other performance mods to the SE s like changing the cell or anything?

I know Micro has done the fets but is there anything else?

Hey micro how are them se fets coming along? Have you done enough of them that you can post a tut on this mod?

VDM

micro_Amps
      Participant

Not yet mate, I’ve been working on some other internet based projects, that you will see soon.
      The cells in the ZZ SEs pretty much need to stay put, its such a tight squeeze in there that you’d be luck to get anything else into it.
      An extra cell would have to go outside anyway.
      The only other cell option I could suggest is a LiPo cell that sits on top of the pcb, but that would be a tight squeeze too.
      :)uA

VooDooMafia
      Participant

OK cool well keep us posted on any new findings that come up

PS. you got pics of the plane yet? That sounds very interesting 🙂

Impreza
      Participant

I just saw these in the US the other day. Very cool indeed. I thought that the bodies (mainly those of the Initial D releases, because those were the ones I was drooling over b4 I went down) could have been a bit better quality:( What I was really impresed with was the amount of stuff they have seemed to jam in these.

Is all of this true? proportional steering and throtle control. Front and back lights. Any thing else I am missing? I didn’t pick one up this go but may next time:)

micro_Amps
      Participant
      Quote:
      Is all of this true? proportional steering and throtle control. Front and back lights. Any thing else I am missing? I didn’t pick one up this go but may next time:)

Its all true Imprez. Also a choice of 6 channels that can be selected and changed on the cars when they are charging up. One car is capable of any of the 6, it just depends which you select when you charge.
      A little dissapointing on speed, but once they are fet modded they fly too.:smiley2:

Impreza
      Participant

wow I am impressed. Looks like ZZ’s may have one up on Tomy right now. Which is good, ’cause a little competition tends to bring out the best:) I have heard there may be some QC issues with the SE though? Is this true?

VooDooMafia
      Participant

no real problems they are better the the super bits I think. My main complaint is how high the se bodies sit on teh chassie and the poor run times.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Thats true. Lowering is possible, bdebde’s car (my website) has been lowered, which looks great.
      Battery run time will be a challenge because there is just no extra room in there. I’m working on a LiPo cell which will give 3.7v and 150mAH, should be faster and run longer, but they are “hassle” cells with charging and all. Wait and see I suppose.
      Any other battery ideas would be appreciated.

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Peak charging the stock cells will give you around 20mins of run time.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Yes of course, as always, the controller only puts in tiny bit of power into the cells.
      Peak chargers take a bit longer, but do the job properly.

TallduDe
      Participant

okay peak charging what the hell is that??

plus is there a different SE zipzap out besides the rx7???

micro_Amps
      Participant

A delta peak charger feeds a constant current into a cell, whilst monitoring the voltage accross the cell. As the cell charges the voltage will increase to maintain the constant current input.
      As the cell comes up to “full” the voltage will start to drop, at this point the charger switches off, or goes to trickle charge because the cell is full.
      “Delta peak” is the ‘rate of change’ (or delta) of the maximum (or peak) voltage that happens when the cell is full.
      This kind of charger is usually automatic and fills a cell to 100%, or close to it.
      Very handy thing to have if you have rc toys with nicads or Nimhs in them.
      A must I would say.
      Makes a BCG standard 50mAH cell run 20 minutes.
      So there you go, another midnight microamps charging lesson.

Almost forgot, yes there are several different Zipzap SE models, but you will have to do a net search for them. Probably start at the Radio Shack site I suppose

Edited by – micro_Amps on 28 October 2003 00:23:37

VooDooMafia
      Participant

What peak charger are you using for your cars?

TallduDe
      Participant

okay cool

still confused, you have a habit of doing that to me micro_amps:p

kinda want a peak charger now, i know this is off topic but where can i get one from?

i checked the radio shack website the zip zap cars do look ugly :dead:

but i wouldnt mind owning a SE just for the proportional steering.

micro_Amps
      Participant
      Quote:
      What peak charger are you using for your cars?

I have 2 of them, a Pirahna charger, and an SJ Swallow charger.
      Both will charge as low as 100mA, (pirahna does 50mA) this is important as you need this low for small cells.
      The Pirahna does NiCd and NiMh, the Swallow does NiCd, NiMh, LiPo and Pb.
      Stores like Jaycar and Dickies sell peak chargers but check on the minimum charging current, many dont go down to as low as 100mA.
      I got the Swallow recently for LiPo cells from a place in Tassie (online) um, ozeflight.com.au here’s a link to the chargers page, they can get pricey but if you buy a good one it will do all your models and anything else that has rechargable cells as well.

ZZs dont look too ugly if you lower the body on them. Thats my only gripe on them.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Just peak charged a ZipZap SE, and sure enough, 20+ minutes of run time, included in that was 1.2Km on a Tamiya speed checker, then another 10 mins around the kitchen and dining room.
      There is no problem at all with the cells in these cars, just the controller desnt fill them anywhere near enough.
      Might be another mod idea.:smiley2:

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.