ZZSE Duty Cycle mod

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve got the ZZSE Duty Cycle mod completed. It provides about 40-60% more power to the ZZSE motor, with or without the FET mod.

ZZSE-DC-Mod-Chip-sm.jpg

Participant

great work man, it’s a shame rs couldn’t figure this one out!:8ball:

Participant

whoe! hecka wierd cool, im so lost

Participant

nice mod but whats the efficency like you say you get 100% but we all know that it is impossible do you have the data sheet for the IC u use? can we get aa look at them?
      im deffently up for putting in one of these into action..

Participant

The microcontroller is an Atmel ATTiny12, you can get the datasheet from the Atmel website or a google search will pull it up.

The efficency of power usage is unchanged, I’m just providing more power to the motor. The battery does run down faster if you use the high power capability, but that is to be expected.

Participant

how much you selling these puppies for man?

ph2t.

Participant

I’m interested, my micro amps fet modded ZZSE just doesnt have enough power…

Participant

They are US$10 for the kit, US$17 installed. I’m offering a FET mod and DC mod installed for $30.

hmm, I don’t charge shipping in the US, I can just put ’em in a letter and send it. I dunno how much it would cost to ship ’em down there. Lets say I’ll pay shipping up to a buck, anything else is extra.

I can do custom power curves too. Some people have expressed an interest in bumping the power up to about 80% max, to make it a bit snappier without having the full dual cell power, which is a little difficult to control on less-than-ideal surfaces. Basicly you have 6 steps for speed, and I can set the chip up to run the motor at whatever power level you want at each step.

Participant

codesuidae.. how is the chip steps setup becasue i can see a expo setting here setup via a D9 link to a pc

Participant
      Quote:
      codesuidae.. how is the chip steps setup becasue i can see a expo setting here setup via a D9 link to a pc
      Participant

eh, that didn’t work, lets try it again:

Hmm, well, I’m not sure I understand that.

The chip uses the following steps:

10%, 19%, 30%, 45%, 75%, 100%

I haven’t run into any SE’s that use more than 6 forward speeds.

Participant

I can set the chip up to run the motor at whatever power level you want at each step

.. if ya got it to non even steps u could run expo..

Participant
      Quote:
      .. if ya got it to non even steps u could run expo..

Explain? And whats that about a PC link?

Participant

well how do u change the steps on the controler is it programmed from a PC (i would asume using a basic bootloader and programmed on a c compiler?).. if so u could build a pc link and make the fully adjustable control system..
      to be a rough curve u get what they call exponetial control means u can have low accel and lots of top speed still speed so that its easyer to control. and lots of other cool things..

do you use msn?
      add me.
      boy_with_pants@hotmail.com

Participant

I’m interested in the kit, perhaps we could do a group buy?

Participant

Yes, the code is in C, compiled on the computer and transfered to flash memory on the chip.

Its a little difficult to get a good curve going with such low resolution input. I choose the default values to put most of the steps below the 50% mark precisely so that most of the control would be at low speed. The last two steps take you to 75 and 100%

There are several possibilities for improving control. One would be to ramp the power level from step to step, so instead of a sudden jump from 50 to 75, you’d get a quarter or half second or so ramp. This would smooth out the bumps a bit, but I don’t know how noticable it would be. Might make it a little easier to avoid swapping ends at the high end.

I’d also like to improve the PWM frequency, currently it uses a 100Hz pulse frequency (thats what causes the buzzing you hear when the SE moves). The next software version of this mod is going to bump that frequency up to something much higher, which should quiet it down considerably.

Another option is to give it control of the reverse circuit too, then remap all but one of the reverse speeds to forward speeds, resulting in higher resolution propo (maybe 8 or 9 steps) for the forward circuit, which, IMO, is much more useful than reverse.

Participant

Also, higher PWM frequency will increase torque by a lot.

I’m more interested in the high frequency PWM kit now, just want my ZZ to go good. 🙂

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.