24 Hour Racing?

Viewing 41 reply threads
  • Author
      jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Just wondering if i am the only crazy **** that thinks a 24 hour race would be cool….

I guess there would need to be a few ground rules to make it harder to finish the race.

like:

1). Only 1 set of tyres for the whole race.
      2). No parts can be replaced. (apart from wheelnuts and pinions)
      3). No motor under 50t.
      4). Unlimited ‘fuel stops’
      5). Unlimited handling options. (chassis must be left stock)

Just my idea of chucking a spanner in the works ;D

What do u guys think?

SurfmyStrat
      Participant

interesting, would you be able to change the batteries in the controller when they run out?

also you should make it a team sort of race so when a person gets tired after like an hour they can switch and take a break:smiley2:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Yeah 24hr on one driver would suck.
      So say 1-2 hr, then the teamate can sleep or something.
      Yeah you just pop in a new set of Alkaline batteries into the controller.
      I rekon it would be cool cause its the ultimate endurance test, plus each ‘team’ would have to set their car up for an endurance race, which is a surprisingly big job. I still havent got my car set up yet and ive had it about 6 months 😮 😮

Barrelll
      Participant

man thats pretty crazy, maybe it could be a 12 hour race ? Theres gonna be alot of battery buying !

Cranga
      Participant

I bags not being to one to count everones laps! I think a 1-2 hour race would be more sensible, with a carton of booze and some music playing!

barto_85
      Participant

yeah, can’t drink and drive though, jk.

GT-ahh
      Participant

thats a bad idea as I doubt anyone would complete the race. In real 24 hr races all parts can be replaced. ive seen a 24hr go-kart race they replaced a whole engine in 8 minutes. Maybe the rules should be teams of 3, 2 race cars and 1 set of parts (everything apart from chassis/motor) 2 chargers and 4 sets of batteries.
      Basically i dont think a z will last 24hours of constant use.
      The 2 car idea means that cars can be swapped via start stop in the pits and this means the cars can be given a cool-off period. Constantly running a Z for 24 hours would most certainly be the end of it.
      As for motors I think 3 or 4 motors because motors get quite hot and you want to be able to service them and let them cool off.
      4 sets of batteries would be need as then you could have 1 set ready to go in the other car and 2 sets on charge. When a car comes in its batteries immediately go on charge. If it was only 3 sets there could be problems with some of the slower chargers (1hr chargers) resulting in having to wait or running semi-charged batteries.

The only problem i forsee is having someone keep count of laps. that would fair suck. A lap counter would be a must. but does anyone have a counter that could go into the thousands? 30second laps means almost 3000 laps all up…

Edited by – GT-ahh on 22 May 2003 18:53:49

barto_85
      Participant

yeah, it would be exciting to see (if this race is going to happen) how many cars/teams will last the whole time. would be exciting even to spectate.

Shypo
      Participant

I’d def go into it lol… Screw sleeping:smiley16:

GT-ahh
      Participant

asif u could sleep with all that noise anyway…

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:

thats a bad idea as I doubt anyone would complete the race. In real 24 hr races all parts can be replaced. ive seen a 24hr go-kart race they replaced a whole engine in 8 minutes. Maybe the rules should be teams of 3, 2 race cars and 1 set of parts (everything apart from chassis/motor) 2 chargers and 4 sets of batteries.
      Basically i dont think a z will last 24hours of constant use.
      The 2 car idea means that cars can be swapped via start stop in the pits and this means the cars can be given a cool-off period. Constantly running a Z for 24 hours would most certainly be the end of it.
      As for motors I think 3 or 4 motors because motors get quite hot and you want to be able to service them and let them cool off.
      4 sets of batteries would be need as then you could have 1 set ready to go in the other car and 2 sets on charge. When a car comes in its batteries immediately go on charge. If it was only 3 sets there could be problems with some of the slower chargers (1hr chargers) resulting in having to wait or running semi-charged batteries.

The only problem i forsee is having someone keep count of laps. that would fair suck. A lap counter would be a must. but does anyone have a counter that could go into the thousands? 30second laps means almost 3000 laps all up…

Edited by – GT-ahh on 22 May 2003 18:53:49

I think you are forgetting that this is mini Z, not go karts……I am quite sure that 24 hr would be achievable. It is a test of endurance, my mini Z has done more than 24 hours of racing without changing any parts.

GT-Ahh, remember that it is a race to see who lasts the longest, not who can run the fastest and have a wasted car in 2 hours. Think stock motors for low energy consumpion etc, they dont get very hot.
      One of the key factors in a motors lifespan, is if it is repeatedly heated/cooled, it will shorten its life.
      The race isnt meant to be an easy one, that why ive thought of the harsh rules.
      How many times have you driven your z? Over 30 times? (which is about 24h) It can do it easily, so i dunno where u get this idea of 4 motors and 3 cars from.
      When you work it out, you only need about 3-4 sets of batteries, one set in the car, one or two sets charged and one set on the charger.
      Lapcounter can be made fairly easily too.

I rekon a team of 2-3 ppl would be needed for a race team.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      thats a bad idea as I doubt anyone would complete the race.

Too right… I think if there’s any limitations, it should be “you can have as many spares as you like in your pit, but you cannot have a completely assembled whole spare car”. If you break your car then you’ll have to bring it in, disassemble it, replace all the broken bits and then only it goes out again. No whole car switcheroos… :p

ps: 24 hr race X 1/28th scale… = 52 mins. :D:D

Shypo
      Participant

Jamie: he means 24hrs of constant use.. 24hrs of constant use and repetiteve racing would probably destroy the car.. even if the motor put out barely any energy the thing is going for 24hrs straight dude….
      the pinions, tires, wheels nuts and bearings would be devasted when u finish lol

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Bearings should last 24 hrs easily, tires, i guess they could be changed, motor, especially stick lasts forever if run consistently.

P.S. Panda, 24hours for a mini z is 24 hours, no way of getting around that.

There are only a few parts on a z that will break, H plate, servo gears etc. So why not just have those replacement parts.

In a 24hr the whole idea is to outlast, if you make it too easy the race will be less exciting.

Trackmaster
      Participant

Interesting

When I came towards the end of all posts I started to realize that you were talking about Mini-Z cars. I thought about char-g cars all the time! What about an endurance race for those little rascals?
      I would like to try to see how long you can stand seeing those micros running around in a small area, I bet you get seasick in a hour or so!:clown:

/Trackmaster

barto_85
      Participant

haha, plus you have to charge them every 5 minutes, except those with battery mods. but still pretty frequently.

GT-ahh
      Participant

my miniz has been used aproximately 15 times, out doors once and ive had stuff break and the steering servo lock up, the dif is on its way out too, 24hrs would destroy a car. I wouldnt be suprised if the stock motor melted the rear end and the fets gave up the ghost.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Barto, A mini Z will last about 50 minutes on a good set of NiMH’s.

GT-Ahh Really? What do u drive on? Ive only ever damaged my car by either driving on bad surfaces r by driving without a shell. On smoothe concrete i have no problems besides pinion wear.

Okay i guess you could have a backup diff, h plates, motor, pinions, servo gears etc.

I spose that you would need to firstly have a race to determine what spares are needed…….now i gotta find 24hrs to race my mini z, the neighbors will think i’m totally insane lol.

me and me lude
      Participant

i reckon 12 hours would be long enough

you can come in for battery change (can only have 2 sets) and you can come in for tires

apart from that if you need to do any other repairs, you should be out for a minimum of 10minutes

with these rules it should encourage efficiency and reliability, at the end of the day, speed won’t matter that much

SurfmyStrat
      Participant

i think someone should type up a complete handbook on this and post it on the site. Actually i think this would be interesting, also what kind of track would we be running, a nascar oval or a road course with turns and curves? i think a mini-z thats been taken care of that has some aluminum parts would make it, also if the motor is lubed properly and if you make a special modified heat sink, everything should be perfecto, except the tires but thats a given.

Keymaster

I think you’d be better looking at a “Relay Race” type format where you have teams with say 3 cars but only one car/driver combo is allowed out at once. It means that people get time to fix cars, there’s less wear and tear on individual cars and people can work within set preferences.

I’d start at a 60 minute race first with some basics like no car/driver may do more than 40 minutes on track. Maximum of 3 stints on track per car. Mods restricted to running stock battery type and location, stock or Kyosho only motors, gearing and suspension unrestricted, single tyre set unless tyre lost due to damage.

By working in the 60 minute time the process could be worked out, it’s a _long_ time and the basic rules could then be adapted to suit longer time periods.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      ….there’s less wear and tear on individual cars and people can work within set preferences.

Yes and no…. seriously if there are racers serious enough to contemplate racing any “enduro”, they would have all chipped in to buy a new chassis just for that race. Thus wear & pre-existing damage would not be an issue.

The other big drama is… who’s Marshalling???! :shock::shock:

PandaBear
      Participant

I believe airtix to S’pore is very cheap lately… can probably
      rock past HK and pick up a few goodies too on the way there too. 🙂

Quote:
      Mini-z Endurance Race
      J Cube 5 hours Endurance Race!
      Date: 1 June
      Time: 12pm to 5pm
      Venue: 247 Tanjong Katong Road Singapore 437035
      Entry fee: $50/=

Rules and regulations

1 Kyosho Mini-z allowed only
      2 transmitters allowed
      3 person per team
      4 AAA cells only
      5 hours race
      Unlimited pit stop
      Rubber tires allowed
      Kyosho and GPM motors only
      AM 27Mhz crystal will be privided for each team.
      All drivers must stand on the platform during the race.

In all disputes, the race director’s decision is final.
      Any queries may direct to any race committees.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Real race?? I was kinda thinking of making it as much like a real 24h race as possible.

I guess 6-12 hours would be enough though.

Keymaster

Oh I agree about serious racers – just dunno if Australia has enough serious racers to team up for it 😉

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Shypo
      Participant

it would be a pretty big event but aaron;s right, dunno if there would be enuf ppl up 4 it in a certain area

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Hmmm i rekon it could be organised, it only needs 6 cars to compete.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Hmmm i rekon it could be organised, it only needs 6 cars to compete.

Shypo
      Participant

then get to sydney and Im sure we could have 6 cars:D

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

LOL im povvo atm, might scab some points off dad and fly to syd 🙂

Shypo
      Participant

well if you do give us a hola and i’ll prove to u that I can kick ur butt

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Um…yeah….prepare to kiss my….ummm…….ass 😯

SurfmyStrat
      Participant

looks like we have some rivalry here, better make things more interesting…

SHYPO, ARE YOU GOING TO TAKE THAT FROM JAMIE???

JAMIE, ARE YOU GOING TO LET SHYPO TALK TO YOU LIKE THAT???

just messin…or am i????:shock:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

dude we are only screwing around.

Shypo
      Participant

lol its a thing myself and Jamie do everytime we talk to each other, theres always abuse from side to side

icebreaka
      Participant

lols.. im up for sum endurance racing :smiley16: .. lets get it on!

(unrelated) also.. look at barto’s post count.. 1337 posts.. leet .. :smiley16:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

wow….over a year since this ones been touched….

A 24hr Z race would be simply splendid chaps!!!

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh.. lol you would need pit stop batt. changes and wheel chnages (know way a set of 12.Degree tyres would last 24 hours of solid racing

jimmy
      Participant

whould it be day n night where u have to dtive by lights for 12 howers

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

That has got to be a record for a re-animated thread…
      BRAINS… BRAINS… BLEARGH!!!

jollyboss
      Participant

hey men!
      a 12 hrs race have already been made,I saw it on atomic website…
      I remembre atomic team broke one of the servo wires..I don’t know which specs were the car,but remembre big boxes of tires,and batteries…

jimmy
      Participant

woho record for me:rocket:

Viewing 41 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.