Alu. chassy

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

well im 1/2 way there instead of makeing a tub chassy i just made a pan. its on the rather heavy side still trying to figure out what to make to hold the rear axle in. so far everything else is good.

i was gonna make 2 holes and just put small ball berings in it and then just reassmble the axle in it but that wont let me change the gears 2 easy. but like i said from the start this isent gonna be a race car its just gonna be a look at my sweet ride.

Participant

the germans have made an alum chassis…. it has a fat rear axle and bearings…

Participant

i got 1 its on the hefty side im trying ta cut weight but test chassy 1 got bet to easy. time for titanum or magnesum

Participant

y not make it out of alloy?
      or carbon fibre?

if your going to those lengths

Participant

carbonfiber would be to weak. how big the weave is on the fiber and how meny holes are in the chassy would be really weak. all it would need is a nice head on smack into a wall and its tost

Participant

CF is damn strong, much stronger than plastic, so i doubt it would break.

I have alloy sheets at home so im guna make a pan chassis now .

I was thinking of using thin PCB material but i dunno if i cn get it thin enough.

Participant

prob is that when you drill the holes to mount the parts and for the charge jacks the weave is so big it take alot of the strength out of it.

Participant

any body know about cf molding? i am getting sheets in varying thicknesses, is it lighter than alu? i know it’s damn hard but when heated can be bent to shape.

Participant

you can mould it like fibre glass aswell i think,

Participant

dude the BCG isnt exactly gonna endure alot of abuse.. Carbon fibre would be fine.

Participant

Thats what i said, the kinetic energy of these things is very small compared to bigger R/C.
      Managing to scratch a BCG is pretty hard with normal use so a CF chassis would be fine.

Participant
      Quote:
      any body know about cf molding? i am getting sheets in varying thicknesses, is it lighter than alu? i know it’s damn hard but when heated can be bent to shape.

CF is not “molded”, it needs to be manufactured into the complex shape you want, or just into plain flat sheets.

To make it, you need a mold which is laid with the fibre. Then you inject (“impregnate”) the fibre with liquid dope under high pressure and high temperature. Its a lot like fibre-glassing, except you need an oven big enough to fit your mold into – check out the size of a Formula One workshop’s oven!!

Once cured into the shape of the mold, there is nothing else you can do to shape it. You can cut it, sand it, saw it etc, but you can’t thereafter reshape it with heat or pressure.

Contrary to popular myth, CF is not “strong” per se. Its structurally very stiff in certain dimensions, but it is also brittle and can crack/break if you stress it wrongly.

And most mythical of all… CF does *not* have a visible fancy weave pattern! The real graphite threads are BLACK! The fancy pattern you see on the top is merely printed on a plastic laminate, to give you what you’re expecting. 🙂

Be careful too… remember its carbon fibres.
      1) when cutting/sanding, you must have RESPIRATORY PROTECTION.
      People who don’t will die a long painful death like Smokers!
      2) CF conducts electricity… fibreglass doesn’t.

Participant

btw, meet “SSG” (Silver Surface Graphite)…!! 😀

MR_4TC_SD_BOTTOM_001_600.jpg

Participant

You ruined it for me panda…..lol

Participant

i just gor the blue weave cf chassy for my fusion

Participant

this stuff i can get is for theraputic innersoles and maybe they are b’sh!t!ng the customers as they use ovens and a vacuum molding machine to shape it.

thanx for the info panda, i dont think i trust my respiritory protection(decent gas mask) enuff to risk the slow painfull death.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.