Are you CANBERRA chaps OK?

Home Forums General Chat Are you CANBERRA chaps OK?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      PandaBear
      Participant

Hope you folks in Canberra are OK.

(Bit more hot air up there than usual, and
      Parliament’s not even in session.) 🙂

Keymaster

Something like that Panda.

I live in the “Cosmopolitan Heart” of Canberra (read the knobbiest, most Cafe’d and over resturanted) paying a grotesque rent and all that and as such am many kms from the fires. However everythign is smokey and covered in ash.

It’s shame to see many things destroyed, here at work it’s a little more sobre, a number of staff have lost houses, 2 people are in Sydney now with severe burns and so on. It’s something that will touch Canberra lot for many years to come.

My pics from the last couple of days are online: http://aaron.neon-owners.org/fires2003

—-
      Moderator, Admin, and all that 🙂

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Keymaster

Ohh I should add that KittyKatSmack is AOK, her and the feline Mini-Z chasers live in much the same area as I do.

There’s a few others I know from ausmicro.com that are OK with no property loss but a few are very tired from being up all through the nights watering their houses.

—-

--
      Site Owner Guy.

DaveF
      Participant

Hope things cool down there soon.

DaveF! 👿
      My track – http://community.webshots.com/album/58669595eliwuK

PandaBear
      Participant

That’s a relief.

FYI Melbourne is sharing your scenic view too. We woke up this morning smelling of smoke and the entire sky is greyed out in smog. We think the winds has brought the smoke down from the north. Can barely see more than 100m, can’t see buildings more than 3 blocks away.

I wish it would just Rain!

Keymaster

You and me both…

I’ll do some more pics this arvo on the way home – from the same place I did some this morning. The smokes closed in and it’s really really dark again….

—-

--
      Site Owner Guy.

PandaBear
      Participant

Funny that… sky in your pictures reminds me of Hong Kong! The locals there swear that’s “normal”. 😯

KittyKatSmack
      Participant

We all want rain at the moment.
      The temperatures have finally dropped but we haven’t seen the sun since Friday. Can’t open windows or doors because of smoke and ash. I’m not running the Z’s or BitCharG’s around with the ash. Going crazy as it is because I want to clean my home, but isn’t worth it until things settle down. The feline Z chasers are suffering too, no energy so is lucky the cars are staying clean and ash free.
      Hoping you all escape the same fate as Canberra.
      And thanks to Aaron for reassuring everyone I was ok. Still gonna race ya one of these days!!!!

Latest Fire Information- released by the Emergency Services Bureau at 1200 Wednesday 22 January 2003

There is no immediate danger to any Canberra suburb.

ACT Emergency Services Bureau says that conditions continue to remain calm after the easterly moved in on Tuesday evening.

Fires to the North west of Canberra are approximately 6km from Belconnen, and this fire is currently contained. Mopping up operations will include aerial bombing.

Fires to the south of Canberra are approximately 25kms south of Tuggeranong. The fire front extends some 50kms from Mt Bimberi to the Murrumbidgee River. This is under close scrutiny. In the south, Army chainsaw crews will continue to clear roads.

Residents should remain alert and prepare for high temperatures over the weekend.

The total fire ban has been extended until midnight on Monday 27 January 2003.

Krumm
      Participant

:pWell guys I live in Belconnen and am in the firing line this weekend. All the plans have been made to save valuable items such as photos,RC cars, kids, RC cars, dog, RC cars Oh! and if possible the house. It’s a shame I haven’t got time to cut down the forest at the top of my street.

PandaBear
      Participant

Yup, Belconnen has been in the news a bit.

Let’s hope for the best, with some luck & prayer it might not be as toasty as they predict.

Shypo
      Participant

i have been camping for the last week or so and we were right on the water and i woke yp the other morning and the water was just hidden by smoke haze. hope the fires doint get into the firework district of town:p

—-
      Go Fast, Be Free with Low CC

Undisputed Post Pimp

PandaBear
      Participant

Thoughts are with you All this long weekend.

May it be peaceful up north.

KittyKatSmack
      Participant

someone do a rain dance for us…..

us kitty’s don’t look our best when sweltering!!!

unfortunately danger not gone yet, so here’s hoping that everyone stays safe and well.

I like your priorities Krumm, but eject the kids in favour of more RC cars!!!

:smiley2:

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.