Battery size

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
      Impreza
      Participant

I was just on the old forums this morning and am continuing a thread that started talking about the battery size in the cars. I took batteries out of one of my bits as well as out of my KIT. Both are, as far as I can tell 1/3 AAA Nicds. They have N-50AAA stamped on them. I also removed a battery from a clone (Bensu bullet). This had 1/4AAA 120mAh stamped on it and is slightly smaller then the Tomy bat. I would most likely need some sort of spacer or bend the contact plate to make it fit in a bcg? Hope this may shed some light on the topic.

I also have a question: are the ratings for Nicd and Nihms both in mAh? What is the optimal rating for bits? I was able to find some 16AAAM 1.2V 160mAh 1/4 AAA NiMH batteries for $6 CD and bought 3. Did I make out ok, or miss the boat?

Thanks.

Impreza :smiley16:

micro_Amps
      Participant

The N50AAA are definitely 1/3AAA 50mAH NiCd batts
      The ratings for both batteries are in mAH or milliAmp Hours. The higher mAH the better but capacity is limited by physical size.
      The 1/3AAA batteries are about 15mm tall, a 1/4AAA is about 11mm tall. Both will do the job but 1/3AAAs NiMH are available up to 150mAH so these are prefered. NiMHs are also available in a 120mAH capacity, so the only way you can tell what you have got for sure is to measure them. If they are 1/4 size you may have to bend the contacts a little. Either way, at 120mAH capacity, the batteries you have got are definitely NiMH so you should get a good run time.

Impreza
      Participant

Thanks micro, the 1/4AAA NiMH’s I got are 160mAH. What charge time/number of batteries would you use to charge these for best results? I guess I could look at the thread in the old forums as well, if I can still find it?

thanks again.

micro_Amps
      Participant

On a single cell car, a standard ‘double charge’ will probably do (90 – 120 secs). A 3 battery external charger (4.5V) would charge in less time, just keep an eye on the temperature.
      Can you tell me where you got the 160mAH 1/4AAAs?

Impreza
      Participant

Here in Canada, at a place called GP Battery. They stamped alot of info on the green casing. Here goes

Standard charge
      16 hours
      at 16mA Recycle/reuse? logo
      Made in China Ni-MH
      – +

I don’t know if they have a web site, maybe a google search would help you track them down in Aus?? or at least in the far east?

At the outlet I bought these at they had alot of specialty bats.

Impreza
      Participant

micro, here are two web sites I found thru a google search. Hope they help you track some batteries down..

The first site is for GP Batteries Corporate

http://www.gpbatteries.com.hk/company/sales_and_marketing.html

The second is a search engine in NA for battery types

http://www.gpbatteries.com/global_spec_2.htm

Hope this helps, and let me know if you find out anything intresting…

Impreza
      Participant

Wow the search engine is kind of cool, may have to bookmark it.

SORRY 3rd post in a row… hope my rep. points don’t suffer for this 🙂

micro_Amps
      Participant

Thanks for the info Prez :smiley2:

Gotta watch those rep points tho 😯LOL

uA

DaveF
      Participant

Well 1/4 is smaller than 1/3. It’s a maths thing – it’s just how thrids and quarters work.

I believe the battery in a Char-G is custom built for TOMY and is still a fraction larger than a 1/3AAA – something like a 3/8AAA or something like that.

If you’re going to buy a new battery, try taking the battery and the car into the battery shop to get a best fit.

DaveF! 👿
      My track – http://community.webshots.com/album/58669595eliwuK

Shypo
      Participant

yeah the TOMY battery is a tiny little bit smaller than a 1/3aaa. i was going to buy a new battery for my car but i was told i had to squeeze my tabs a lil closer and then i fogrot about buying it lol

—-
      Go Fast, Be Free with Low CC

Undisputed Post Pimp

Impreza
      Participant

NP micro.
      :approve:gotta love the new features…..[/quote]

Admin
      Participant

The 1/3AAA Sanyo nicads in the Bits are a custom size, true 1/3AAA would be a little too big. 1/4AAA is smaller than the stock size, so you should bend in the terminals a little. They are also 1 mm larger in circumference, but still fit fine.
      I find that 4-5 charges fill up a 150 mah nimh 1/4AAA battery perfectly.

http://www.tokyotekki.com

Impreza
      Participant

Thanks TokyoTekki, I may have to call you up one day (when I recover from xmas $$$) about the Lancer race body:)

PandaBear
      Participant

Tomy’s battery is a 1/4 AAA *with* a button.

I’d bet the GP 1/4 AAA NiMH you’ve found doesn’t have the +ve button.

These are all commercial industrial battery sizes, so they’re not ‘special’ for Tomy only. It would be horrendously expensive to go invent your own battery size, its easier to just design your equipment around an existing battery.

If you don’t want to bend your contacts, use some small washers to space out the battery. Just one or two round 2-3mm washers is enough.

Impreza
      Participant

Sorry Panda, if the button is a small bump on the +ve terminal then the 1/4 AAA NiMH I found has a button. I don’t know if the Tomy is 1/3 AAA or not, haven’t seen the 1/3 AAA NiMH at the local GP outlet here:( to compare to the Tomy, maybe I will check again this weekend?

Thanks for the info on the washers, I was going to go this route but was unsure if which metal I should use? Was going to try copper?? Any ideas guys?

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Thanks for the info on the washers, I was going to go this route but was unsure if which metal I should use? Was going to try copper?? Any ideas guys?

BCGs don’t suck that much power, I don’t think it really matters what the metal is. if you can’t find some small copper washers, easiest would be to snip up a coke can and then stamp out some discs using a holepuncher.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Sorry Panda, if the button is a small bump on the +ve terminal then the 1/4 AAA NiMH I found has a button. I don’t know if the Tomy is 1/3 AAA or not, haven’t seen the 1/3 AAA NiMH at the local GP outlet here:( to compare to the Tomy, maybe I will check again this weekend?

I could only find 1 specsheet for a 1/3AAA NiCd – Sanyo’s “Cadnica N-50AAA”. Its meant to have a nominal height of 15.0mm including button, width is 10.0mm. Internal resistance is 55mO.

GP’s specsheet for GP12AAAM 1/3AAA NiMH available too… but its nominal dimensions are 13.7mm high and 10.0mm wide (go figure!). Internal resistance is 170mO.

Dunno who makes the Tomy cell in China, could even be GP (they’re huge over there) if its not Sanyo. However it is common for Sanyo to wrap OEM batteries in green, so it could be theirs also.

(Any eagle eyes spot why I typed in the Internal Resistances?)

Impreza
      Participant

Thanks for the info Panda. Not sure about the internal resistance tho? Will leave that one for micro Amps:)

PandaBear
      Participant

With internal resistance, lower is better.
      Otherwise its just a restriction on how fast
      current can flow to the motor.

Same thing occurs in bigger RC. When NiMH first
      came on the scene they were of higher resistance
      and felt less “punchy” than NiCds. With ongoing
      development this has now been eliminated and
      NiMH now performs much like NiCd.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Who’s a smart Panda then :smiley2:
      The lower Ohmage the better, oh yeh, but only if you have something that draws more current than the battery is able to put out, which is not a micro B motor
      uA

PandaBear
      Participant

Well, if you ask the battery it’ll tell you any motor will look like a deadshort to it.

Resistance also generates heat. With the extended runtime of the NiMH, might find it heating up more than the nicad by the time its flat at run’s end.

Hmm… now I wanna go get some GP12AAAMs for experimenting! 👿

Impreza
      Participant

Panda, let us know if you melt a car:)

PandaBear
      Participant

I have a Raytek MT4 thermogun :blush: to play with, hopefully that’ll detect overheating before any melted plastic eh?

Works great on everything from foreheads to nitro engines and frying oil. 🙂

Impreza
      Participant

What the h*** is plastic eh? I looked all over the net for it and could not find any matches:smiley2:,lol.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Man i want one of those laser thermo guns. I just wonder how the **** they work.

Back on topic :), I am wondering if there is any ‘milspec’ type batteries in this size, or is there not enough demand in these sizes…..:question:

The world is mine

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Back on topic :), I am wondering if there is any ‘milspec’ type batteries in this size, or is there not enough demand in these sizes…..:question:

There is milspec in everything… just need an accomplice friend who works in the army storeroom. :smiley2:

You should see how many energizers alone they go through… but the latest types of army torchlights use lithium batteries – like the ones used in cameras.

Their rechargeable batteries are mainly used in portable radios.

The only legit way for mortals to get milspec stuff is thru army disposal tenders. When their stocks get stale (everything has a ‘use by’ date), they will sell it off in job lots. There are some companies that buy and resell to consumers.

Jamie:- you’re knowledgeable in mobile phone stuff.
      Check out batteries for the Ericsson GF788 and GH388.

Yeah I know they’re ancient, but if you can still find
      packs for them get some. The AAA cells inside them are
      fantastic, much better than anything you can buy easily.

I rebuilt some dying Ericsson packs with cells from
      you-know-where and they didn’t even last 6 mths. Hopeless!
      With the original cells, the same packs under same usage
      pattern lasted me 3 yrs’ use, with daily cycles.

So you won’t blame me if one doesn’t have very high regard
      for you-know-whose unlabelled China cells.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Man i want one of those laser thermo guns. I just wonder how the **** they work.

Everything gives off InfraRed radiation in proportion to how hot it is. All the tempguage does is to measure the amt of IR coming off, and convert it to a value. They’ve been around for yonks, the aircon industry has been using them for years.

Its not really “laser”… the laser pointer is there only for cosmetic convenience.

Raytek MT2 is minus the pointer, MT4 is with the pointer but us Oz beggars can’t be choosers. It was MT4 or nothing when I came across this one locally; RRP is US$99 I think and can be found on eBay.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Can’t check those batteries atm, cause im 100km away from the catalogue 😉 Can you tell me what capacity they are around?

The world is mine

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I’m gonna hafta get me a thermogun, great for when I get my big bore kit for my motorised scooter, makes the engine double the power and revs to 17000 RPM.

The world is mine

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.