Cracked Shell

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Crom
      Participant

Uh oh… After many many countless accidental collisions and suicidal drops from tables, I’ve cracked my silver S2000 shell.

It is a small crack above the front wheel well. I’m not sure how it was caused exactly. (Maybe running the BCG with a 2.6 motor at top speed straight into a metal leg of bar stool would be to blame.)

The crack runs from approximately the top of the curve into the middle of the hood. When you take the shell off the chassis, there is no visible sign of the crack from the top of the shell, but you can see it when you look underneath.

When the shell is put on the chassis, the crack appears, and I’m worried that putting the shell on will widen the crack.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I was thinking about supergluing it together, but I don’t know if that will work too well when I remove and put on the shell. 🙁

The impossible just takes a little longer

PandaBear
      Participant

Big RC cars always crack over the wheelwells too. 😀

Superglue seems to work ok on BCG shell plastics. You can also try Airfix model glue, might be stronger than the Testors one I use for gluing on rear wings (removable with some effort).

Cranga
      Participant

I had the same problem with my s2000 shell, i didnt fix it and left the crack in it, next time i went to use it it cracked from wheel to wheel! dont leave it on the chassis! fix it straight away, but i threw mine out, as im not much of a fan of the s2000, id rather a miata!

Bap Bap Bap

Barrelll
      Participant

i suggest getting some good superglue and glueing the crack from the inside, should keep it together… if you want another one i have here for $6 if you want it…

27MHZ 3.5 Honda Accord (Custom Exhaust and F1 Wing)
      35MHZ 1.0 Battery Modded Castrol Supra
      45MHZ 2.2 Custom Painted Yellow and Black WRX
      57MHZ 2.6 Booster Trueno
      Mini Z Blue WRX (Lights, Gold alloys, Exhaust)
      Mini Z Castrol Supra + all mods (Coming)

Shypo
      Participant

it happened to my Evo shell, i think its just due to wear and tear and stretching it over the chassis. i got mine from lowering the car and the shell was a bit stretched and stressed so it cracked

—-
      Go Fast, Be Free with Low CC

Undisputed Post Pimp

leonli17
      Participant

i’ve got the same crack. easy way is just paint over it
      with a little thicker paint

Let’s do 1/4 Mile under 8 Seconds!!!

Crom
      Participant

Thanks for your help guys!

I’ve superglued the shell from underneath, (because I couldn’t find any silver paint.) You can’t see the crack anymore, but somehow it seems to feel a little more brittle when I put the shell back on. I hope that this shell doesn’t breakdown totally.

Thanks for the offer Barrelll, but I’ll keep on going with this till it completely breaks down. Then I might just get a set of Celica shells.

On the plus side, I am now willing to mod this shell. I was thinking of lowering it, but it doesn’t look like there’s enough room to do that with this one… Maybe I’ll just cut the top off.

Thanks again everyone!

😀

Shypo
      Participant

you can lower the front of the s2k and the rear, just shave away a bit of the plastic above the tab at the front and make a whole new whole at the back, its what i did and now my car sits LOOOOOW

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Barrelll
      Participant

yeh the S2000 does look really cool with a nice convertable job on it, give it a go sometime

27MHZ 3.5 Honda Accord (Custom Exhaust and F1 Wing)
      35MHZ 1.0 Battery Modded Castrol Supra
      45MHZ 2.2 Custom Painted Yellow and Black WRX
      57MHZ 2.6 Booster Trueno
      Mini Z Blue WRX (Lights, Gold alloys, Exhaust)
      Mini Z Castrol Supra + all mods (Coming)

Crom
      Participant

Shypo, do your lowered shells rattle a lot when you go over bumps? (Like between tiles on a tiled floor?)

Shypo
      Participant

my lowered shells are a tighter fit than a normal placed shell, i have never had that problem

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.