Downhill Rally course

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Racer9
      Participant

I am building a downhill rally course. It is a lot like the rally course here http://www.diana.dti.ne.jp/~kodama/bcgp35.html Mine is a little bit smaller but will be more portable hopefully. It will also have more detail. Hope you like it!:D:smiley16::p

Admin
      Participant

good job, post picture when finished

Racer9
      Participant

cool

Impreza
      Participant

yes please post pics when done. What materials are you using??

Impreza :smiley16:

Shypo
      Participant

i wanted to make an Akina moutain (all initial D fans no what i am sayin’) but if it were to scale then the track would be about 30ft long or more!!!!, nice track

—-
      Go Fast, Be Free with Low CC

Undisputed Post Pimp

Cranga
      Participant

I like the sound of that! itd be quite fun to build and to race it.

Bap Bap Bap

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

When you think about it, the whole thing is just one long strip piece of material, then just work out some way of making the points at which the track surface able to bend.

Probably someting like that plastic corrugated cardboard that election or real estate signs are made of may work. It would probbably be rigid enough, then just make a kink along the lines of the corrugations where it changes direction.

Mmmm interesting thought, I have about 10 pieces about 1 mtr x .8 mtr of the stuff at home that just may be perfect!!:smiley2:

8ch Ess Vee
      Micro Super Charger, Black WRX 27mHz

Impreza
      Participant

Just make sure you give it some structural support if you ever plan to move it:) Maybe screw it down into a softwood frame?

Impreza :smiley16:

Shypo
      Participant

i was making it out of housing insulation, it was becoming very hard and very costly. it would be great if someone makes one but otherwise its a very hard thing to do by urself

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Racer9
      Participant

Posterboard! That is what they use. It is meant to be temporary.:p

Shypo
      Participant

posterboard is a very very good idea. hows the progress on the track Racer9?

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Racer9
      Participant

My brother is farther. I want to use real dirt. I need something with good grip so if you wear through it will keep going.:D:smiley16::)

Shypo
      Participant

how about you use dif grades of sandpaper to simulate dif dirt and then have a corner with baby powder on it so you slide (it doesnt hurt your car) and maybe use some dirt if you stick it down and shake it off

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Cranga
      Participant

Only problem i found with dirt is that sometimes there is raw iron in it. And this makes steering very difficult,

Have you used sandpaper yet shypo? i think its one of the easiest surfaces to race on, depending on the type though.

Bap Bap Bap

Crom
      Participant
      Quote:
      Only problem i found with dirt is that sometimes there is raw iron in it. And this makes steering very difficult,

Have you used sandpaper yet shypo? i think its one of the easiest surfaces to race on, depending on the type though.

Bap Bap Bap

Umm, has anyone used the reverse side of lino? really nice to drive on, its much like the reverse side of a mouse mat. I was thinking of making a track out of some unused lino I’ve got lying around…

The impossible just takes a little longer

Cranga
      Participant

Ive found lino a bit expensive, as i dont have lino lying a round in nice sized clumps, The reason why i fond sadpaper so nice to race on is that it is so smooth and grippy, its like when you drive your BCG on lyno, the bcg is just like a 2wd but when you use sand paper the acceleration seems like its in 4wd, aswell as the handleing!

Bap Bap Bap

Racer9
      Participant

:dead:who cares?:dead:

Shypo
      Participant

i dont race on sandpaper, i use masonite painted with silk house paint which is then glossed in the corners. is sandpaper ny good?. i am woried it will damage my carif it rolls

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Racer9
      Participant

me too! That is why i want tightly packed dirt on top.

DaveF
      Participant

I think packed dirt will just end up clogging the parts on the car, damage the body, and mess with the steering with the metal particles the cars steering magnets will collect.

I’d go for a painted surface – nothing loose to collect in the car – that’s slippery. Still get the action traction and drift, but don’t stuff your car up.

????????????????????????
      DaveF! 👿
      My track – http://community.webshots.com/album/58669595eliwuK

Racer9
      Participant

I want to make so you actually need to use service areas for your car. It would be really dry and tightly packed I mean tightly sort of like the (something that I shouldn’t know about yet but do any way. NO I have not done this yet I can only dream about it) If that was innappropriate please tell me because it probably was! If you don’t get you are either really stupid or under the age of 13!:8ball::clown::evil::p

Shypo
      Participant

ok…. that made about this much sense. yep absolutely none

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

morbak
      Participant

hey,
      what about this ?
      face1.jpg

dessus1.jpg

Racer9
      Participant

cool is that yours?

Cranga
      Participant

Racer9 please explain again??

Shypo, If you use like 1200 grit Sand paper and the car rolls on it, it dosent seem to damage the outside of the car, but it seems to make the steering response so accurate around corners.

Bap Bap Bap

Shypo
      Participant

ok then, that wouldnt worry me very much then, do your tires get worn down???

that downhill course is cool, nice 2000GTR morbak:smiley2:

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Cranga
      Participant

Yeah a bit more than usual, i found its best to use the standard tyres on the sand paper, the thing i realy liked about sand paper is that it looks like bitumen from a scale point of view. The black wet/dry sand paper is what im talkin about.

Bap Bap Bap

morbak
      Participant

yes, it’s mine.
      I built it in 15 minits.
      It’s quite funny but not long enough.
      I’ll try to make it longer.

Racer9
      Participant

Yeah it loks kind of short. How fast is it because it looks kind of steep?

Shypo
      Participant

you would get crazy drift on that carboard wouldnt u?

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.