Frankenstein (Multi-Band Controller)

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Tell me what you think of this creation.
      pic_2.jpg
      pic_1.jpg

It started as an LXX controller.
      Then I added a 22inch telescopic antenna.
      Then I bought a small PCB and switch and wired in some crystals.
      I replaced the Buttons and the controller PCB with ones from Hobbico (Tomy).
      I cut and fit the crystal pcb into the controller.
      It currently has 5 bands 27-35-45-49-57 and I’m hoping to go to 6 with a 40mhz crystal in the future.

Participant

the ferrari or the controller? both look good. So what you have done on the controller is made it multiband and put a new aerial on it? good job. The green controller looks cool too, is that what colour the lxx controllers are?

Participant
      Quote:
      the ferrari or the controller? both look good. So what you have done on the controller is made it multiband and put a new aerial on it? good job. The green controller looks cool too, is that what colour the lxx controllers are?

The Ferrari is just there because I just got the body recently.
      LXX controllers have Orange buttons, I switched them to the American Tomy/Hobbico Green ones because I liked them better, and they were different.

Participant

Heya Bilbo, very creative work, well done.:approve:
      Looks like we got us another techie!

What freq did the controller start off as?

Cheers,

ph2t.

Oh yeah dude, welcome to AUSMICRO!

Participant
      Quote:
      Heya Bilbo, very creative work, well done.:approve:
      Looks like we got us another techie!

What freq did the controller start off as?

It was a 57mhz LXX controller I got when I was purchasing misc. parts on eBay. I first made it a 35mhz controller because I had a 57 already.

Then I went crazy (wife’s words) and made Frankenstein out of it.

I know Frankenstein was the doctor and his creation was the monster.:D

Participant

Hey Bilbo, welcome, good to see another tech hed.
      How does the range go on the added frequencies?
      Do you ‘switch in’ the inductors that were in the original rf Tx circuit as well, or do you use the same set of inductances for all freqs?
      :)uA

Participant

hey.. i was wonderin.. didju get all the xtals from other bit conrollers?? or didju like buy em or wat?

im not a techie so dont kill me 😛

Participant

oh yah and by the way.. thats a frickin PHAT antenna u got on that controller in more ways then one.. lol.. i mean seriously.. 22 inches? thats farther than my clone went when i first got it… lmao!

Participant

how much Range do you get on that thing?

Participant

Hi,
      some months ago, at the start of my bcg ossession (!), I made a dual band controller with two shen qui wei crystal a 27 and a 35 mhz.
      Using a switch I used the frequency needed.
      Everything was fine except my controller was able to control or interfere severely with both frequency despite of cristal selection.

Have you verified your controller with 2 or more cars ? Or are you running a single car at time so you don’t have interference problems ?

greetings
      Efarel

Participant

The only problem I have with it so far is the 45mhz crystal seems to be shot, I’m trying to get another.

Range has been the same 20′ that I have been getting on all my controllers in my house.

The crystals are wired on the board and attached to the main board in the stock location (no other mods there seem to be needed.)

No interference on other cars, I charged up 5 cars and kept changing frequencies and no interference I noticed (other than my 57mhz car having fits with a 27 controller, but that happened on a straight 27 controller too.)

Participant

Bilbo, the reason why the 27 and 57 might be having issues is because of RF harmonics being transmitted by the 27mhz controller. The harmonics transmit the same instructions but at a higher/lower frequency and at VERY less power. That’s why sometimes this interference you describe will happen but ONLY when the offending car is CLOSE to the controller… Is this what was happening to you? Did the 57mhz car stop playing up when you moved the 27mhz controller away?

Participant

I didn’t try it at more than a few feet from the controller during the initial testing phase. I run the 57 and the 27 at the same time since. I’m going to have to try it again.

Participant

hey thats a nifty idea, now u can just use on controller and control every car… Thats very clever… keep up the mutany!!!:D

Edited by – SurfmyStrat on 10 June 2003 04:19:30

Participant

where is your button to switch from fequency to frequency.

Participant

It’s the blue thing with white stripes. It’s called a DIP switch. I believe each switch would turn on/off each crystal seperately.

Participant

oh cuz most of the others hava a toggle switch to scroll up frequency or down frequency.

Participant

I went with the Dip Switch because it was readily available to me. I would have rather had 6 micro switches (like the ones on precision light sets) but haven’t found them yet.

I will continue to modify this controller and let people know of it’s progress.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.