Help!!

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Anybody in launceston tasmania race mini z s???

Also has anybody tried out X speed/soft tyres/ball diff/ball bearings??? I m thinking about getting all of the above and i want to hear a bit of feedback on them.

ALSO ive noticed extreme wear on my 8/9 tooth pinions…the teeth are swept back and extremely worn, event though ive only used them a couple of times. I ve used the right spacers etc. Anybody had the same problem??????

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Also…..my beaut porsche body ain’t so beaut anymore 🙁 I just broke off a mirror and scratched the crap out of it….i’m really angry about it. I want some new bodies, and my original will be the race only body. My question is how much can you pick up bodies for??
      Also I have heard that some palm runner parts are compatible with mini z parts. Can anybody tell me what these are??

aesch
      Participant

All Palmrunner bodies are supposedly interchangeable with Mini-Z. All Autoscale models are too (and you get the wheels that match on this one)

Palmrunners are also by Kyosho. They are the cheap versions of the Mini-Z and do not have proportional control. They don’t have a full controller, just a little long handled one.

My original Lancer body is pretty dead too. thinking of cleaning everything off and painting it again. (Soon as I get it out of storage) I bought a Mini Power MRS body early to mid last year. (That’s my current showcase car) Still looking for a Castrol Supra body or something like that.

Havent experienced the dull teeth on the pinion gears, but then when I bought my TopCad ball diff, it came with its own set of pinion gears, so I have a few extra 🙂

Aesch 🙂

Edit: I’d go a ball diff and bearings first, and then slowly get the rest of the stuff

Edited by – aesch on 14 January 2003 15:04:58

Edited by – aesch on 14 January 2003 15:06:16

Shypo
      Participant

get a white shell, doesnt matter what type, you can barely notice scratches

—-
      Go Fast, Be Free with Low CC

Undisputed Post Pimp

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

cool thanks.

Yeah im gonna go the ball diff cause the stocko diff is crap. Also I need high grip tyres. I have an x speed on the way, which i will leave aside for a while, and some ball bearings which are desperately needed.

Are the pinions that come with the ball diff metal or plastic? Cause aswell as the pinions wearing quickly, they are becoming very noisy too. My motor has slightly less performance now, I ran it on a hot day on almost full power and the motor got stinkin’ hot. It just doesnt seem to have as much go anymore.

I have noticed, after the excitement of getting it, and getting used to it, that the handling is nothing special. Cornering is on a knife edge, hard to keep going without extreme oversteer or understeer. I reckon the ball diff and soft tyres will help this.

As I am new to this please tell me all the tricks and traps 😀

Shypo
      Participant

i want some hard tires for the back and some softs for the front, saw some nice drifts with that today:)

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

PandaBear
      Participant

Pinions might be interchangeable with the HPI MicroRS4… but not 100% sure.

Bought my F40 last week but will have to wait for another mZ to arrive before I get to compare; took me an hour to repack the 1st Kyosho’s original packaging, darned if I’m gonna be opening that again in a hurry. 🙂

Barrelll
      Participant

Jamie mate i need ur address again .. i know its poplar ave but whats the number and postcode ? Thanks !

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

dont tell everybody my address 🙂 thats what PM is for.

Pandabear, im not quite getting what you are getting at, was your first mini z faulty or something?

Shypo
      Participant

Hpow come you returned your Z Panda. i was thinking about doing it after i rolled it, but then i looked at the scratch

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Pandabear, im not quite getting what you are getting at, was your first mini z faulty or something?

Nah, I’m just an F40 freak.

I’ll collect anything that remotely looks like an F40
      as long as its RED… and when Kyosho announced their
      new models for xmas that had me suckered line-n-sinker.
      Bought purely as a shelfqueen only though; but I always
      check the electronics are working before reboxing it up.

btw Red original F40s are bloody hard to find!!!
      The yellow ones are much easier to come by.

Had resisted buying a mZ so far until this… but
      as usual once you get 1 they just keep coming.
      Steve @TradingDirect did me an irresistable deal this
      week so I soon should have something to play with too.
      And start doing experiments… :smiley2:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Steve did you a deal???? I paid full price, but i’m still happy with what I paid.

Okay, any info on the topic we started on?

Shypo
      Participant

i really need a metal pinion as the plastic ones get soo thrashed. any ideas where to get one a bit cheaper??

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Steve did you a deal???? I paid full price, but i’m still happy with what I paid.

Steve’s prices are pretty good already (~$220?) for mZ, and probably better than many shops even in Singapore.

However for playing I didn’t want a ReadySet, as I don’t like Kyosho’s TX. So when Steve said he had a spare unloved rolling chassis… heh heh, couldn’t resist.

Just received it today.
      Haven’t tested it yet, still stuck in office.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      i really need a metal pinion as the plastic ones get soo thrashed. any ideas where to get one a bit cheaper??

How much are HPI’s, Jamie?

I think they’re the only big name that makes metal pinions. There’s various other asian companies (eg Topcad) that might do same, but not widely known.

I’ve still got plastic on the mRS4. 😯

Barrelll
      Participant

yeh i need a metal pinion too, let us know if u find one …

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Yeah i agree, 220 is great value.

Panda, I dont have much experience with pistol tx’s, I know the kyosho perfex is cheap, but what would be a suitable replacement/upgrade?

The world is mine

PandaBear
      Participant

Kyosho Perfex works OK, and its on par with all the better entry-level radios on sale. Kyosho even puts it into their big gas trucks! The only thing it lacks is “end point adjustment” but you don’t need it in a mZ with its preset electronics anyway.

Other than that its up to personal choice, all AM TXes will work fine. On Friday found an Acoms Technisport (same innards as Perfex) and a Futaba MJ sitting spare both on the mZ’s frequency, so chose the MJ as I think its got better weighting – all the batteries sit in the bottom ‘leg’, not inside the handgrip. Worked fine.

If you want total overkill… I’ve seen guys using the Sanwa (aka Airtronics) M8 controller which has a huge LCD screen and its worth $500+ in its FM+PCM guise. Its a computer radio, everything is digitally adjustable etc etc. Then you have to find Sanwa’s $100+ AM module (downgrade??) to make it work with your mZ. Crazy? 😀

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Yeah thats just stupid, the radio gear in the mz is not the best in the world anyway.
      At the local model aircraft club some guys are using $3000+ Tx’s……..like whoa.

My brother has a pistol Tx lying around, it’s nothing crash hot (airtronics 52.99USD) its 27 meg AM so i might nick it and see if its any better than the perfex.

The world is mine

PandaBear
      Participant

Airtronics = Sanwa… that 1 must be from US?

There isn’t much out there that is significantly better than the Perfex imho; some might give better range say over 200m+ but on a tiny mZ that’s not too important. 🙂

Some fellas actually recycle the mZ TX for use in bigger RC. Just buy a new basic stick radio (~A$90) and use its RX and 2 servos, cheaper than buying them individually.

I just have a dislike for TXes that have loose detachable antennas! For me, loose = lost.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Um loose? Try *screwing* it in 😉

BTW panda, you told me that when the mini z goes out of range, it will stop………..i dunno where u got that idea, cause mine just goes off on it’s own lil adventure.

The world is mine

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      BTW panda, you told me that when the mini z goes out of range, it will stop………..i dunno where u got that idea, cause mine just goes off on it’s own lil adventure.

Yeah, I know… imho its crappy ESC design!! 🙁

Over the years its become habit to always turn my car on FIRST before the TX, this is so that if there’s anyone playing on my freq then I won’t kill his fun/car/life by just turning on my TX blindly.

All ESCs I know of won’t power the motor unless there’s a confirmed signal from the RX; servos to an ‘on’ RX might glitch once but then they just sit there.

I dunno what makes the mZ ESC does do its own thing whenever there’s no signal. Not sure if its hypersensitive to stray atmospheric radio signals (doesn’t seem to be any pattern) or it just creates its own. Putting a mobile phone or different freq TX near it doesn’t make much difference.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.