New 2.2 runs like a dog

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Genspec
      Participant

Anybody else had this problem and if so, can you share any advice ?

I purchased a Blue Compact Char-G Skyline for Christmas but there is something wrong with the motor. It has the 2.2 but most of the time it runs like a 1.0 (or worse).

I have done a little testing and it seems to run at full speed while it is charging but then reverts to being crap once it is off the charger. It did run at full speed for a while last night after I had had it running on the charger for a while but as soon as it had been sitting there for a bit, it went back to running slow.

Shypo
      Participant

some 2.2 motoirs arejust plain crap i ahve to say.
      most motors tho run at a band of 2000rpm betwen what they are rated i.e a 2.2 runs between 20000 at 24000 thats y some motors are alot faster, maybe just try different postions with it in the motor case

—-
      Go Fast, Be Free with Low CC

Undisputed Post Pimp

Barrelll
      Participant

try putting some wd 40 thru it, might clear it up?

Shypo
      Participant

WD40 makes everytning sticxk to it, accumulates ALOT of dust and debirs, use some graphite Lube

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

DaveF
      Participant

Mine ran like a dog pretty much fresh out of the box. Shouldn’t need lubing really. Might sacrifice it to see how it runs. or, I could have someone who buys the Aussie one take it back in theirs and say theirs runs like a pig, so they get a new one. Tadaa! Naughty, but at least TOMY get their dud motor back.

DaveF! 👿
      My track – http://community.webshots.com/album/58669595eliwuK

Shypo
      Participant

my 2.6 in the beginnign ran like blank blankety blank but now its sped up real nice

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Lazboy
      Participant

I never had a problem with any of my motors but i never had a problem taking back my char G at myers when it was fucked so take it back show them and if they wont let ya buy a kit racer and get a 2.6

DaveF
      Participant

I’ll keep that in mind. cheers.

DaveF! 👿

Craz
      Participant

Bits are the weirdest things, its almost like they have their own characteristics. I had two friends who got bits at the same time as me and one goes faster but doesnt last as long and the other goes slow but lasts a long time and mine was in between. Kinda cool I reckon.

There are three types of people in the world, those whocan count, and those who can’t.

Shypo
      Participant

bits with personalitys, the machines are taking over!!!!

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Genspec
      Participant

Yeah, I thought I’d just give it a bit of a caning first and see if it comes good. I actually would prefer a 2.6 anyway. Anybody interested in swapping a 1.0 for a 2.6 ? 😉

DaveF
      Participant

Sure I ‘ve got a spare 1.0 here you can have. =o)

DaveF! 👿

PandaBear
      Participant

Make sure your motor contacts are clean, don’t forget the motor case is a contact too.

When installing it, TURN the motor so that the endbell’s contact tab is as far front as possible (3 o’clock position when looking at it end-on).

Cranga
      Participant

Its pretty bad that there is such a differance between the same class motors, cause i am goin to do a dual motor mod, and i want the same amount of performance with both motors! if their not the same it might be a waste of time! here is someone elses example of this mod- http://www.age.jp/%7Eex2/bit/11_custom.html

Round and round not up and down

PandaBear
      Participant

Imho quality control shouldn’t be *that* bad… I’ve had about 20 2.2s go through my hands, haven’t seen any that are in any obvious way slower or faster than the others.

If any car doesn’t perform then a rebuild usually fixes things. I can spent 1-2 hrs just tinkering making sure everything works smoothly.

The motors (2.2) don’t slow down much with age either… difference between a very-used example compared to one just unwrapped is negligible.

One last possibility – hasn’t happened to me but I’d think its possible to accidentally bend the motor shaft when you stab it on the pinion. This will guaranteed give wierd performance.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Shypo??? U use graphite lube in the motor??? How do u get it in there, how do u stop it shorting the commutator? I use WD 40, hold the tube upto a hole in the back of the motor and seal it so when you squirt WD 40 comes out where the shaft is. Then Get Rid of the excess with paper towel.

Brett
      Participant

twin motors, thats insane. What benefits does it actually give though?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Um, it wouldnt have alot higher top speed, but you would have gobs of torque and acceleration, im gonna do that mod with 2.6’s and dual cell mod, feeding KIT racer gears…can u say jamie is cool for thinking of that.

The world is mine

micro_Amps
      Participant

How bout a triple cell running twin 3.8s feeding KIT gears….outa control. :dead:
      A booster chassis would allow you to keep control around corners at lower speed.
      I think I read somewhere about a 4.0 or 4.2 motor too, has anybody else heard anything about these :question::question::question:

Admin
      Participant
      Quote:
      WD40 makes everytning sticxk to it, accumulates ALOT of dust and debirs, use some graphite Lube

I have 5 compact char-g’s so all came with the 2.2 motor.
      One of them has slowed up a lot, making it more like a 1.0 motor.
      Initially no problems, but after 25 to 30 charges it’s a lot slower.
      The other characteristic that makes it seem like a 1.0 motor is that it will last for ages on a single charge.
      I fitted a 2.6 the other day which is great 😀

http://www.users.bigpond.com/sandrashane/char-g/compact.html

micro_Amps
      Participant

You might find that these problems are related to the battery. Try swapping the batteries between the cars to find the faulty ones. Then replace them.
      OR
      if you have a motor you say has slowed, change just the motor to another car that runs well and see what is causing the problem, battey or motor

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      How bout a triple cell running twin 3.8s feeding KIT gears….outa control. :dead:
      A booster chassis would allow you to keep control around corners at lower speed.
      I think I read somewhere about a 4.0 or 4.2 motor too, has anybody else heard anything about these :question::question::question:

Micro Amps i reckon that it would draw well over 1A current. I dunno whether the output fets/transistors will handle it. May need a turbo mod, i.e. stacked fets/transistors.

The world is mine

DaveF
      Participant

I remember someone saying they had a 7.2 motor. Then again, he was always full of it. Can anyone guess who I’m talking about? 👿

DaveF! 👿

Shypo
      Participant

i remeber dave lol. there is actually a 4.0 motor available in some reallly crappy clone and alot of people in the states have used them, u just have to modify the motor case a little bit
      jamie your not cool for thinking of that i gave u the idea, well not really but it be cool if you can get it working.
      A fella i am making a custom shell for is making a twin R spec motor 3 cell on a booster chassis with some KIT gears, evn with the 3 cells his car was doing non stop wheelies and almost burnouts!!!
      with the twin R spec motors the cars is going to have absolutely amazing torque

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

DaveF
      Participant

R spec motor? What’s the difference between that and a BCG mortor? Where do they come from? What rpm do they run at??:question:

DaveF! 👿

Shypo
      Participant

R spec motor is Tiny-rc.com motor, it has mammoth torque and the speed of a 3.5 or 3.6. they work in BCG, they are designed for BCG

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Shypo
      Participant

i dont use lube inside the motor Jamie, i just use it on the axle. i hate using WD40, biggest mistake ever, i still am regretting it, way way way to much debris gets caught

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Barrelll
      Participant

Not if you put a bit on and then wipe the excess off…

micro_Amps
      Participant
      Quote:
      i reckon that it would draw well over 1A current. I dunno whether the output fets/transistors will handle it. May need a turbo mod, i.e. stacked fets/transistors.

Might take a little investigating, but I’m sure its possible. Maybe a shunt transister to switch the main drive current.

Quote:
      i dont use lube inside the motor Jamie, i just use it on the axle. i hate using WD40, biggest mistake ever, i still am regretting it, way way way to much debris gets caught

Tamiya make an excellent ‘ceramic grease’ designed for plasic gearing. It makes the gears run really smooth and quiet. You only use the tiniest bit, a tube will last years, and if you dont use too much it doesnt pick up fluff & stuff :smiley16:uA

dgs73
      Participant

gotta agree, these batteries do seem to have a mind of their own,
      picked up 3 cars last week(1 for a mate), his car ripped from day one,
      mine were’nt quite so quick. Now, barely two weeks later; his motor died, one of my cars has slowed about 25%, the other doesnt hold its
      charge for much longer than a minute. Servicing is done as needed (or maybe a little more often), but the motors slowlw seem to deteriorate.
      AND NO IT ISNT MY AA’s!!!!!!!:smiley2:

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.