Power Lines

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • Author
      Mondo
      Participant

I had a thought the other day to put thin wires around my track (coz I have very poor range on my 27mhz controller) like power lines. I experimented with antennas and it worked. I’ll post picts as soon as I get some more batts for my digi cam.

Has anyone ever thought of doing this?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

um, does it give you any freedom of movement?

Shypo
      Participant

thin wires around the track as in railings or what?

—-
      Go Fast, Be Free with Low CC

Undisputed Post Pimp

DaveF
      Participant

I think he’s talking on miniature telegraph poles, thus spreading the antenea for the controller around the whole track.

Not sure if that would distribute the transmission from the controller, or spread it out (and thus thin/weaken the signal).

DaveF! 👿
      My track – http://community.webshots.com/album/58669595eliwuK

Mondo
      Participant

yep, your right Dave. Miniature telegraph poles. It works really well but u have to be prepared to loose the contollers portablity but it’s a small sacrafice. The other day my antenna spung out of the controller when I was doing a mod so I attached a radio antenna but it wasnt getting the range to make it around the whole track so I came up with the idea.

I still havent got any batts so you’ll just have to wait till tomorrow, sorry.

Edited by – Mondo on 14 January 2003 16:25:52

Shypo
      Participant

ohk i understand, thats a good idea but i dont like the loss of portability, maybe u could use your normal controller on the track and a 4 band for other racing??

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Impreza
      Participant

Neat idea Mondo, never thought of that. I wonder how big a loop you can make??

Impreza :smiley16:

Shypo
      Participant

i think the loop is probably endless as you can keep adding length if u want

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Mondo
      Participant

right again shypo, I just used 10 coathangers connected to the wire around the track and I can still get the whole way around. thats over 8 metres. wicked

Shypo
      Participant

😯 holy crap, 8 meters, thats massive man. still a shame about the lack of portability

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Mondo
      Participant

it’s good if u have a spare contoller or two. I’m working on multipule power lines as I’m just about to build a 10 metre by 8 metre track.

Shypo
      Participant

thats gonna look weird but work wondefully

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

DaveF
      Participant

I wonder if you could have 4 wire telegraph poles, with 3 wires running aroujd the track? Maybe some sort of clip to attach the normal controler arial to, so all 4 racers benefit form the wires. Hmmmm…. perhaps a white LED light on each the poles too, to act as street lights.

DaveF! 👿

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

In this day and age of new suburban developments with underground power, the sight of new overhead power distibution in new areas is becoming rare.

Just as a thought, perhaps we could do the same thing by puting the wires under the track. That way it would never be seen!!

I actually like the idea of the little powerlines running around, but for a really quick uprade perhaps it would be quicker, cheaper and easier to stick the wires directly underneath the track with say some gaffa or packing tape. Possibly depending on how close or far apart the wires had to be all 4 wires could be stuck under the one piece of tape!!??

Then each wire could have a meter or so with an alligator clip on the end and each racer just clips it onto his transmitter!?

Just a thought??

8ch Ess Vee
      Micro Super Charger, Black WRX 27mHz

Mondo
      Participant

well it is possible to have two power lines but if u want four then u may want to have two sets of lines. I just bought this old guys model train track which is 10 metres by 12 metres so I’m going to make some roads (and power lines) around it. It’s going to be sweet to race the train through the tunnel.

has anyone heard of a frequency booster?

Toy Heaven Raceway
      Honda S2000 27MHZ
      Nissan Skyline GT-R 27MHZ
      Honda S2000 Convertable 40MHZ
      Nissan Skyline GT-R 40MHZ
      ATEAM Van
      WRX
      1.0, 2.2, 2.8, 3.0, 3.5

Impreza
      Participant

Can’t you slighly improve transmitter mobility by using more flexable wire? Or just use the train tracks as the power lines/barriers and race on one side of them (space may be an issue?)

Mondo
      Participant

I attached some REALLY thin wire to the two controller antennas then attached them to the power lines with alligator clips (thanks 8ch Ess Vee
      I never would have thought of using those) so that meens that I have mobility and range.

Now all I have to do is to port them over to the half finished train track.

I’ve just finnished the “helicopter crash” scene where there is a gaping hole in one building and another building with a smashed up chopper nesting in it. Looks bloody awesome!

Toy Heaven Raceway
      Honda S2000 27MHZ
      ATEAM Van
      WRX
      1.0, 2.2, 2.8, 3.0, 3.5

DaveF
      Participant

Pictures please.

… And I mentioned clips first damnit! I didn’t say aligator clips because I thought they may be a better type of clip that has more contact surface.

DaveF! 👿

Impreza
      Participant

Yes Mondo, please post pics when you are done.

Mondo
      Participant

sorry Dave, my bad!
      picts soon!

Toy Heaven Raceway
      Honda S2000 27MHZ
      ATEAM Van
      WRX
      1.0, 2.2, 2.8, 3.0, 3.5

DaveF
      Participant

Oh, that Damnit was tounge in cheek by the way. :p

DaveF! 👿

Lazboy
      Participant

Could dif freqs run on the same wire or would it need to be a sep wire for each freq ???

CompactChar-G 40Mhz S2000 range mod, spring suppention
      Bit Char-G 57mhz Booster Fairlady Z

Shypo
      Participant

im guessing you would need dif frequencys as if you ran them all off the same wire i would think a crossed wire would make your frequencys intefere something feirce

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Mondo
      Participant

yep, u need sep wires that why I’m thinking power lines might be a bad idea if u want to run more cars. I want it to look as realistic as possible and power lines (the old ones) only have two lines.

If u want to try out how far your car can go then just get coathangers and join them together then touch your antenna to them. my record is 37 coathanger (fully extended) but I could have added more but thats all I have:)

Toy Heaven Raceway
      Honda S2000 27MHZ
      ATEAM Van
      WRX
      1.0, 2.2, 2.8, 3.0, 3.5

Racer9
      Participant

👿

DaveF
      Participant

That’s a pretty good distance!

DaveF! 👿

Impreza
      Participant

Mondo what are you hanging your clothes on??? If you are going for authenticity, you could still run a third line on the top of the power pole.

DaveF
      Participant

Remember to make it look realistic the lines will have to not be taught. Real power lines have an amount of slack between poles.

Some poles in Tassie have 4 wires on top of a T shaped pole.

DaveF! 👿

Mondo
      Participant

true, I’ll c what I can do.

Toy Heaven Raceway
      Honda S2000 27MHZ
      ATEAM Van
      WRX
      1.0, 2.2, 2.8, 3.0, 3.5

DaveF
      Participant

The poles themselves should be easy to do, especially the older style, but securing them to the track might not be so easy. What is the base of your track made out of?

DaveF! 👿

Barrelll
      Participant

blackboard i think dave, a bit of super glue might do the trick, no doubt mondo will find something, interested about coming racing this wednesday night dave ??

27MHZ 3.5 Honda Accord (Custom Exhaust and F1 Wing)
      35MHZ 1.0 Battery Modded Castrol Supra
      45MHZ 2.2 Custom Painted Yellow and Black WRX
      57MHZ 2.6 Booster Trueno
      Mini Z Blue WRX (Lights, Gold alloys, Exhaust)
      Mini Z Castrol Supra + all mods (Coming)

DaveF
      Participant

Can’t this wed night – I’ve moved the IMB Grand Prix at work to Wed night coz I’m off Camping Friday night. Maybe next week.

You would want to secure the poles from underneath I think. Perhaps with a threaded rod going into the dowel (for the pole), and a screw in from underneath.

This still defies what little I know about transmitting signals and arial lengths.

DaveF! 👿

Mondo
      Participant

oh ok, bummer.

I secured the poles underneath with thick metal screws which are then attached to wire underneath to broarden the range times two. Track is almost ready for pictures.

Toy Heaven Raceway
      Honda S2000 27MHZ
      ATEAM Van
      WRX
      1.0, 2.2, 2.8, 3.0, 3.5

Barrelll
      Participant

Cant wait for the pics 🙂

57MHZ 2.6 Booster Trueno

8ch Ess Vee
      Participant

If the track base was thick enough, you perhaps could just drill a hole to drop the poles in and then secure in place with a bit of glue.

Just an idea, depending on how they looked “scale wise” poles could be made out of the small black garden sprinkler risers. They may look a bit to chunky though as they about 6-7mm dia. That way a screw through the base and then just screw the tube onto the screw.

Jeez, lots of screws in that last sentence!! :smiley2:

8ch Ess Vee
      Micro Super Charger, Black WRX 27mHz

Mondo
      Participant

Well I’ve decided not to train track for Bit racing as I’ve had an offer from the old Tuder Court owners to buy it from me. I’ll just have to remove a couple of pieces that I put on the track (the helicopter/building smash and the cow kill scene) as they thought that it might not be appropriate for children to view.

I found out that the track is a vintage 1960’s railway made in Canberra by a world renown train track builder and they made me an offer that I couldnt refuse so sorry dudes but I will post picts of it before it goes.

As for the picts of the power lines on my test track I WILL post them in the next couple of days.

!!Toyz Rule!!

DaveF
      Participant

World renown train track maker from the 60’s. Man, how slowly the word must have spread through the train track community in those days. no email. He truely must have rocked! Love to see photo’s of it.

DaveF! 👿

Mondo
      Participant

I fully recon that alot of dope was smoked during the making of this track, hehehe

!!Toyz Rule!!

DaveF
      Participant

How much did you buy the track for and how much are you getting for the track? You don’t have to tell us if you don’t want to. I was just wonderring if train track buying was an investment. :smiley2:

DaveF! 👿

Barrelll
      Participant

sounds like your really trying to get some investments going here dave, track building, and now track buying 😉 hehe

57MHZ 2.6 Booster Trueno

Mondo
      Participant

Dave, I bought the track for $35 off this old dude from Glenorchy with two working trains and one dismantled and the wiring on the track was worn out. So I fixed the wiring (easy as, thanks to Jaycar) and I was just going to start to do some patching up of the paint. As u may or may not know, I collect toys and I buy stuff from the owners of the old Tudor Court in Taroona/Lower Sandy Bay. So on Thursday, when they brought up some vintage Star Wars up for me they spotted the track and made me an offer of $280. Obiously I said hell yeah! and when they told me about the track I was amazed. I told them what I was planning to do with it and they freaked out.

So, I don’t know much about train tracks but now when I see one I will definatly think about buying it, for a steal that is:D

!!Toyz Rule!!

Shypo
      Participant

somethings which we think are trash or just a second hand toy can become treausre, very cool Mondo

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Mondo
      Participant

cheers Shypo. That’s what keeps the money flowing. The added bonus is that it’s all cash in hand.

http://www.toyheaven.tk

!!Toyz Rule!!

Mondo
      Participant

I just got a mate to take some picts of my train track before it goes. They are only 1.0 mega pixel as it’s taken from an old Icam. I dropped my 2.0 when I was dirtboarding and it’s being fixed.

Track1
      Track2
      Cat

Isnt my cat evil!

!!Toyz Rule!!

Shypo
      Participant

lol your cat is evil, that is pretty cool

—-

Undisputed Post Pimp

Impreza
      Participant

Nice buy Mondo, let us know how the construction/destruction goes??

DaveF
      Participant

The model cat on that Kitten Kong track looks so lifelike. no wonder that guy was a world renound track maker. :clown:

DaveF! 👿

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.